GreaseSpot Cafe

Getting back to the Bible

Many years ago I had and developed a hunger for God and His Word, which was shut out and muffled and stifled and stilled, but not quite. Stuff I read and heard from others outside of twi have lovingly nurtured me back into that relationship of hope and passion for the Lord. I was reminded of that by this "Up Words" email today by Max Lucado and I thought (1) it would bless you and (2) that you might have other thoughts and directional signals that helped you get back to the Lord or even better yet kept you from straying away at all. Some of the stories from "Your Old Way Bible" thread also reminded me of my "youth" of reveling in God's Word.

The following is a one of 172 questions and answers from the new book, Max on

Life.

QUESTION #62:

I'm a new Christian who is trying to figure out how to grow closer to God.

Friends tell me I need to have a quiet time with God each day, but I can't

figure out exactly what to do.

Denalyn and I like to go to the same restaurants over and over again. You could

call our dates predictable, but for us they are special. We like the food. We

like the servers. We like the atmosphere. When we're there, we remember special

moments we've shared before. Our hearts open up . . . we lose track of time . .

. because we're comfortable in that place. We talk to each other, listen to each

other, laugh, and cry. I love those times!

A quiet time with God is very similar to a date. Here are some tools to help you

keep your very special date with God.

Decide on a regular time and place. Select a slot in your schedule and a corner

of your world, and claim it for God. A familiar place will remind you of similar

feelings you experienced before with God. You need to get comfortable.

How much time should you take? As much as you need. Value quality over quantity.

Your time with God should last long enough for you to say what you want and for

God to say what he wants.

You should bring on your date an open Bibleā€”God's Word, his love letter to you.

You won't necessarily hear God speak out loud, but you can hear what he has to

say through his eternal dialogue with humanity.

You also need a listening heart. Don't forget the admonition from James: "The

man who looks into the perfect mirror of God's law, the law of liberty, and

makes a habit of so doing, is not the man who sees and forgets. He puts that law

into practice and he wins true happiness" ( James 1:25 PHILLIPS). Listen to the

lover of your soul. Don't just nod your head, pretending to hear. Your date

knows when you're engaged.

So does God. Just as you wouldn't miss your date with a loved one, claiming you

were too busy, make sure your date with God is on the calendar, and do

everything in your power to keep it special.

Hi Kit.

Not to be a contrary but my experience of getting closer to the Lord after leaving TWI was the result of focusing less on the Bible, not more. For me, the knowledge of the Scriptures had taken the place of an intimate relationship with God. I think there are others here who had similar experiences.

These days, I pray and speak in tongues regularly, and I still think about the Bible, but I spend very little time studying it.

I think the purpose of the Bible is to give Christians a basic doctrinal foundation, and to serve as a bridge to the unsaved. But the goal of Christ's work was not to introduce us to a book. It was to introduce us to Himself and his Father. Maybe it's because I'm not an ordained minister, but I can safely say that the vast majority of the interaction between God and me--the instances of revelation, insight, or the evidence of divine grace in my life these days--has almost nothing to do with Scripture. Instead of helping me understand some nuance of the God-breathed word, He helps me and encourages me toward becoming a better husband, father, artist, and product manager.

Whatsoever you do, do heartily as to the Lord and not unto men.

• 6 months later...

Been thinking about what you said. . .

Everyone needs a standard of faith and practice. When push comes to shove, when the hard questions come up.

This country had the U.S. Constitution by which the Supreme Court decided issues brought before them. When the standard is lost, the confusion and "every evil work" can come in.

The USA President Barak Obama recently stated that he was quoting from the Bible when he said, "God helps those who help themselves," which came from British politician Algemon Sydney's "Discourses Concerning Government" and then was quoted by Benjamin Franklin in "Poor Richard's Almanac" in 1757. (I got this info from Capitol Hills Prayer Partners in email today.)

I believe we will give account of ourselves before the Lord for every word we spoke, and that it behooves us to be careful with our thoughts words and deeds. For me, that carefulness requires that I ensure I am in line with what the Bible does in fact state. Even back when I was in twi I used Acts 17:11 (receive the word with all readiness of mind and searched the scriptures daily whether those things were so) to verify stuff, and it was always amazing to me (1) how much "assumed" godliness was not found in the Bible and (2) how much trouble I got into for doing so, which still occurs.

I have found many paraphrasers of the Bible which give the stuff of the Bible an easy hear-connection, Max Lucado's stuff and Peterson's "The Message" translation of the Bible for example. However, before I post either of their work or anything else, I always have verified that it fits with the Bible I know.

You may notice Acts 17:11 puts a distinct difference between the 'word' and 'scripture'.

There is a difference between direct connections and knowledge of scripture.

Of course I think the scripture is important.

And what it means to you could change with direct intervention of the divine.

And not to leave out that which has been built by scripture.

Though some may burn, be destroyed, and transform into a new born light.

And more then one time.

Nice post, Kit. I can't quite put into words what the Bible has done for me, which accounts for the endless string of 'em I come up with I guess. :wink2:

I agree, I encourage all to crack the Book. Read it, give it thought and give it time.

I've never really had a period where I haven't to be honest, since my own new birth in Christ. I've found it important to have a relationship with the Bible and learn from it, let it inform, and through it provide enlightenment and wisdom.

I think knowledge and understanding are two different things in a sense - knowledge itself doesn't lead to understanding in and of itself.

I could point to times and periods where my own understanding and "aha!" moments have come and are simply part of the process of continuous effort - I do that in others areas of life too. Others seem born of themselves, come "out of nowhere" and are satisfying in ways that are new. The "spirit" speaks, spreads, reveals, renders, crafts, lives and makes known.

Prayer, study, meditation, thought - these are the basic things for me. One doesn't exclude the other, they all work together towards a good end. That writer addresses those nicely I think.

Dear Excathedra, "I can hardly stand to read the Bible," is one of the most terrible of issuances of vp's life, and one for which I trust he will receive a just recompense. I pray this wound also will heal not only in you but in everyone else who came to this conclusion after being involved with vp's issuances.

I believe that there will come a just recompense as promised by Jesus, for example in Luke 11:52 ( Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.)

My heart breaks for you and for everyone who was robbed of the sweet treasure of reading of our relationship with God Almighty, the precious Lord Jesus and with the Holy Spirit which was paid for by the blood of blood of the saints.

I read "Foxe's Book of Martyrs" and the updates "Extreme Devotion" and "Jesus Freaks" from "The Voice of the Martyrs" and have been on their mailing list for years. You can check out persecution.com -- These and being on prayer lists -- which bring to my inbox daily the griefs and pains and needs of others -- keep me reminded that I am not alone in my suffering and my prayers and tithes and other works that I find to do are needful, for me and for others.

(Prayer is a strengthening thing. I am strengthened when I pray, my trust in the Lord's goodness is increased as well as my reliance upon Him for the "victorious life" I always dreamed of.)

Someone very precious, when I was 50+ and we were chit chatting and I was bemoaning the fact that I never became the ballerina I had wanted to become, said, "well you may not be a dancer but you can still dance." And this is true of every dream I think. We never have to allow the devil to kill our hopes and dreams. ("If you don't fold you can't lose" is still true I think.)

From reading, "Heaven is for Real" (which is a lovely record of what a young child saw and learned when he simply to heaven), I know that we will all be restored to the prime of our lives and that there will be no eyeglasses, hearing aids, crutches, missing limbs and organs, etc.

So maybe the good dancing I would love to do I will do in heaven, but that is pretty wonderful to look forward to, and at almost 66, I am practicing up because, like the kid said, I still can dance. Even with rheumatoid arthritis and being stone deaf I can still dance.

Ruth Graham, Billy Graham's wife, requested for her tombstone, "Construction completed. Thanks for your patience."

As long as our names haven't appeared in the obits, we haven't been killed and we aren't completed.

This is kind of stuff is good, too, as a reminder of God's goodness: Magnificent

Edited by Kit Sober