GreaseSpot Cafe

A Christmas story

Kit Sober

Got this from Max Lucado (one of my favorites) this morning and thought it would be a nice way to think of this Christmas season. Certainly my life hasn't come out as I had thought it would 40 years ago when I took the PFAL class, but God was not rejoicing then and He is not wringing His hands now wondering "What am I going to do with that woman???" I think He has our lives in His good and kind heart and plan.

FROM ONE FATHER TO ANOTHER

by Max Lucado

This isn't the way I planned it, God. Not at all. My child being born in a stable? This isn't the way I thought it would be. A cave with sheep and donkeys, hay and straw? My wife giving birth with only the stars to hear her pain?

This isn't at all what I imagined. No, I imagined family. I imagined grandmothers. I imagined neighbors clustered outside the door and friends standing at my side. I imagined the house erupting with the first cry of the infant. Slaps on the back. Loud laughter. Jubilation.That's how I thought it would be.But now…Who will celebrate with us? The sheep? The shepherds?The stars?

This doesn't seem right. What kind of husband am I? I provide no midwife to aid my wife. No bed to rest her back. Her pillow is a blanket from my donkey.

Did I miss something? Did I, God?

When you sent the angel and spoke of the son being born—this isn't what I pictured. I envisioned Jerusalem, the temple, the priests, and the people gathered to watch. A pageant perhaps. A parade. A banquet at least. I mean, this is the Messiah!

Or, if not born in Jerusalem, how about Nazareth? Wouldn't Nazareth have been better? At least there I have my house and my business. Out here, what do I have? A weary mule, a stack of firewood, and a pot of warm water. This is not the way I wanted it to be!... Forgive me for asking but … is this how God enters the world? The coming of the angel, I've accepted. The questions people asked about the pregnancy, I can tolerate. The trip to Bethlehem, fine.

But why a birth in a stable, God?Any minute now Mary will give birth. Not to a child, but to the Messiah. Not to an infant, but to God. That's what the angel said. That's what Mary believes. And, God, my God, that's what I want to believe. But surely you can understand; it's not easy. It seems so … so … so … bizarre.

I'm unaccustomed to such strangeness, God. I'm a carpenter. I make things fit. I square off the edges. I follow the plumb line. I measure twice before I cut once. Surprises are not the friend of a builder. I like to know the plan. I like to see the plan before I begin.

But this time I'm not the builder, am I? This time I'm a tool. A hammer in your grip. A nail between your fingers. A chisel in your hands. This project is yours, not mine.

I guess it's foolish of me to question you. Forgive my struggling. Trust doesn't come easy to me, God. But you never said it would be easy, did you?One final thing, Father. The angel you sent? Any chance you could send another? If not an angel, maybe a person? I don't know anyone around here and some company would be nice. Maybe the innkeeper or a traveler? Even a shepherd would do.

From One Incredible Savior: Celebrating the Majesty of the MangerCopyright (Thomas Nelson, 2011) Max LucadoOriginally published in He Chose the Nails

http://maxlucado.net...avior_(Hardback)

I've always thought the traditional view of Joseph and Mary alone with their donkey is pretty stupid. They went where they did because it was Joseph's homeland. As it was also the homeland of his mother, father, brothers, sisters, cousins, they would also have had to travel ... I 'd suppose there was actually quite a big group of people in the "Joseph" party, of the "lineage of David." Some of them would be women who had given birth - maybe some even worked as midwives. They would probably have met up witih others travelling the same way, gone together for safety from bandits.

Wasn't Mary herself supposed to be of the lineage of David? If so, her own mother (if still alive) would be travelling with the party. And what mother wouldn't want to be with her special daughter as she gave birth to her firstborn? Perhaps even cousin Elizabeth with the six month old John would have been in the party.

Don't you think that God would have provided suitable people to help Mary, to make sure the birth went absolutely perfectly? Kindly women who understood the fear of a new mother-to-be? Unjudgmental women - for this unmarried mother. Mary's own mother and people she had known a long time, to help her and comfort her in this frightening time. Elizabeth, to whom Mary had run when she first became pregnant.

And the innkeeper would have had a wife and servants to help in the running of the caravanserai. They would have done what they could to keep the young woman comfortable. Who knows what comforts they arranged for her? Hot water? Clean sheets? Curtaining, for privacy?

I think perhaps Joseph would have been somewhat bewildered, but then also, perhaps amazed, at the tremendous support that had been provided just for this birth - the fine women who were there to help.

Even though Joseph had probably seen animals - sheep, cows - giving birth (they were country people after all) and he may well have known something of what to do at a birth - I don't really see God leaving it all to the inexperienced Joseph - not even a shepherd boy himself - to deliver his Son.

The innkeeper and his wife and servants would have been expecting a big influx of people. They would have prepared. They would have their own cattle (if they had any) in the fields just for the period (don't forget, the shepherds were watching their flocks in the fields). This particular stable may well have been just for the pack animals of those who were staying at the inn. Perhaps he had rented a field elsewhere where those pack animals could be kept so that he could rent out the stable as living accommodation - got it all prepared weeks before, scrubbed out, folding chairs neatly in the corner, camp beds laid out in lines... not exactly, but you get the idea.

Heck, in our culture when we know there is a big event coming - people rent out rooms in their houses, sometimes their whole house - to strangers. In Greece and perhaps other mediterranean countries, in the summer when there is a big influx of visitors, the residents sleep on their flat roofs and let their bedrooms to tourists. The savvy Bethlehemites would have been out to make a buck or two from the people who had to be there; perhaps some of them were partying on their roofs.

It's time to throw away the Christmas card idea (oh so twee) of a cute snow-covered shack with a radiant baby, two adults, a grinning donkey and a few random sheep. Oh and the shepherds and the three kings. Wayfers don't generally understand the shepherds and the "3 kings" to be there at the same time; nor even that there were three foreigners nor that they were kings- just astrologers and wise men. And yet those same wayfers seem to think there were only two people and a baby in the shack.

being a non-wayfer and my wife an X one.... I think it was last year we went with her mom and her fellowship to look at Jupiter or whatever near christmas. Because of the book "Jesus Christ our Promised seed" Well I read some of it. I didn't have much time to research it or the other Ideas. I just noticed that there was a lot on the subject a lot of qualified people saying this year or that year... General consensus would be September or early October of the other sources. No one really gave a date sept 11 and time of day 6pm tp 9pm.

He may be right but he can also be wrong... I don't think there is enough information on such a non-important issue...

It shocked my wife that most christians do not believe that Jesus was born on the 25th. At least the ones that I grew up with and that is what they taught in BIble school.

A family relative asked what I thought of the book. She told her that I read other sources that disagreed with VPWs findings. She said that VPW was more qualified than most.. My wife tried to explain to her that these people where experts in either history and or astrology.

She wouldn't hear anything of it. Blind obedience to VPW.

I talked to another guy about the book he said it is impossible for the book to be wrong because it is done with maps and astrology and I said so did the other people.... I said possibly his math might be off.

It is amazing the facade that they teach people in "The Way" about people in church and what they teach. I knew prior to my wife about the general falseness of Christmas stories told by our media and consumer society.

The problem is that it seems "The Way" brands it as the church doing it.

In either case it can be frustrating.

Nate