GreaseSpot Cafe

Homiletics

I just finished listening to 24 hours' worth of a class on the Old Testament recorded by Dr. Walter C. Kaiser, Jr. in 1988. It struck me how similar his style was to Wierwille's (even though Kaiser's CONTENT was valid).

Then I realized, Wierwille's delivery wasn't anything special. It was just the way homiletics was taught back during the era when Wierwille was learning it.

This may not really mean much. It just struck me as an interesting historical note.

Love,

Steve

I found this online:

Six Laws of Dynamic Bible Teaching

NOTE: The contents of this outline are distilled from the tape entitled "Seven Laws of Dynamic Bible Teaching," by Bruce Wilkinson.

1. LEARNER-ORIENTED

• It is your responsibility to cause the audience to learn--not theirs. You must be willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish this.
  • Be a servant of your audience. Focus on meeting their needs to grow, not on your need to be admired as a teacher.

2. EXPECTATION-ORIENTED

• Your opinion of and your belief in your audience (whether stated or not) will radically affect their response.
  • Believe in your audience and express that belief.

3. APPLICATION-ORIENTED

• Explanation without application is truncation of truth. Explanation should be seen as the proper means to application.
  • What is your audience going to leave the room convinced of, motivated, and determined to do?

4. RETENTION-ORIENTED

• Distill your material to a form that can be easily remembered.
  • Make use of simple charts, illustrations and key words.

5. NEED-ORIENTED

• No matter how well presented your teaching was, if it didn't meet your audience's needs, it was a failure.
  • Your content does not have a "need to be taught." Rather, your audience has needs to be met. Your job is not to impress your audience with how much you know. It's to discover what their needs are and gear your material to meet them. On the other hand, one need shared by all is the need to understand biblical theology and worldview.

6. EQUIPPING-ORIENTED

• The final test of your teaching is not what takes place during the meeting--it's what takes place after the meeting.
  • Your teaching should bear observable fruit in the their lives and in the lives of the people with whom they are working.

I'd say VPW failed at pretty much all of this. Well...there was observable fruit but not the kind of fruit that most would expect to produce. Just putrid fruit.

Homiletics principles