GreaseSpot Cafe

Who is he?

Twinky

Who do you think of, when you think of Jesus Christ? Jesus came to “put a face” on God – so that rather than the idea of a loving God, we got to see how God would work, in action. Jesus exemplified God in his earthly life.

Jesus. The King of kinds. The Lord of lords. The only begotten son of God. The one now seated at the right hand of God. The one who is worthy to open the scroll and the seven seals. The one on the magnificent horse who leads his troops in the War to end all Wars.

Jesus. The servant. The healer. The prophet, arguer, unsettler. The one who had time for people, yet avoided them too. The one who loved kids, but didn’t have any. Touchy-feely. Defiant, occasionally angry. Did all the right religious things, most of the time. Would talk to anybody.

Jesus. A son, a brother. One of the lads, who hung around with a load of mates; the leader of the pack. Perhaps a bit of an oddity, not being married when so many his age were. Bit of a party-goer, enjoyed a drink or two, liked his food; didn't give parties though.

If Jesus is the face of God, that we can relate to – who exemplifies Jesus, to you, in a way can be seen and followed now?

A world leader – a politician? Mother Theresa? Archbishop Romero? The Pope? The archbishop of Canterbury? Your church minister? Your Mum, Dad, spouse, neighbour? Your boss or colleague? Medical staff?

What face does Jesus wear, for you? How do you “relate” to him? There might be more than one person – perhaps most of your church congregation? (yeah, right) – that you can visualise as modelling aspects of Jesus’s life. As your role model.

Holding my hand up here now – I can visualise him as a colleague, a friend, members of Christian communities that I am part of. I can see him as an intercessor and proponent (my lawyerly / courtroom background, I know what it is to plead for mitigation for offenders). But as King of kings, Lord of lords, the magnificence of who he really is? I have difficulty with that.

I figured by now that several people would have replied to this, but I guess I'll take a stab.

quote: Who do you think of, when you think of Jesus Christ? Jesus came to “put a face” on God – so that rather than the idea of a loving God, we got to see how God would work, in action. Jesus exemplified God in his earthly life.

Jesus. The King of kinds. The Lord of lords. The only begotten son of God. The one now seated at the right hand of God. The one who is worthy to open the scroll and the seven seals. The one on the magnificent horse who leads his troops in the War to end all Wars.

Jesus. The servant. The healer. The prophet, arguer, unsettler. The one who had time for people, yet avoided them too. The one who loved kids, but didn’t have any. Touchy-feely. Defiant, occasionally angry. Did all the right religious things, most of the time. Would talk to anybody.

Jesus. A son, a brother. One of the lads, who hung around with a load of mates; the leader of the pack. Perhaps a bit of an oddity, not being married when so many his age were. Bit of a party-goer, enjoyed a drink or two, liked his food; didn't give parties though.

All this stuff is true, and relevant. Jesus' first recorded words were "I must be about my Father's business". His last before dying were, "It (his Father's business) is finished". He had a job to do and he never lost focus of that. IMO this is a big factor as to how he could live in this world as a human and still be without sin. He is the only one who could ever have done this and be King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

quote:

If Jesus is the face of God, that we can relate to – who exemplifies Jesus, to you, in a way can be seen and followed now?

A world leader – a politician? Mother Theresa? Archbishop Romero? The Pope? The archbishop of Canterbury? Your church minister? Your Mum, Dad, spouse, neighbour? Your boss or colleague? Medical staff?

What face does Jesus wear, for you? How do you “relate” to him? There might be more than one person – perhaps most of your church congregation? (yeah, right) – that you can visualise as modelling aspects of Jesus’s life. As your role model.

As for someone I could hang out with and relate to and learn from? The clergy I see regularly. Well, them more than anyone else. Certainly more than somebody on TV. Are they perfect like Jesus? No. Am I perfect to my wife and kids? God, no.

In twi we were always told to see the Christ in each other rather than our flesh. I think the best spiritual leaders we had (twi or elsewhere) were those who could do that on any kind of regular basis. If you see the same people all the time, then You're GOING to look at their flesh and stereotype them just like everybody in the world does. Unless you have an extra gear somewhere.

Who is he?

to me

he is the reason i have a life after this "life"

he is the reason i wake up every day

he is the love i have longed for and never had

he is the one i am waiting for to make things clear to me so i can know even as i am known

he is the author and finisher of my faith

he is my savior and my lord

he is my mediator

he is king of king and lord of lords

i have no idea why God chose this path for him and for us

but funny enough i believe

he will crush satan under his foot -- i think they say he already did that -- but it has not really become reality for me yet

oops ps. i don't know anyone on this earth who looks like him

traits of him i see

love, kindness, forgiveness when not deserved, grace, mercy, compassion, understanding

maybe my mom fits the bill the most

• Upvote 1

When I read this post, I didn't want to give some tripe, cliche-sounding answer, so I thought about it awhile. Then I forgot I was thinking about it and thought about it some more.

Jesus Christ, at the peril of giving a cliche answer, is my all in all. He is Lord, He is my Lord. My agenda, my petty complaints (though I may not think them petty at the time) find their end in Him. He is my inspiration when I am discouraged. He is my peace when I am being pushed in from all sides. He is the one stable rock in a world that is, to me, becoming more and more complex and evil. He is my peace also as I face a life that will end in certain death...someday. He is my faithful friend and He is the only one who has stood with me throughout it all. He is not my sympathizer. He is not my self-righteousness when I choose to be an idiot. In such cases, He is my correcter and teacher.

Who is like Him? Well, no one really. But there are some I've known who have exemplified some of His traits.

Who is like Him? Well, no one really.

But there are some I've known who have exemplified some of His traits.

That's it, really. Who are our examples today?

For me - my Mum nowadays. We fought horribly when I was growing up - I ran away from home because either she would kill me or I would kill her, so it seemed. We've both changed and mellowed. Now, despite never having had much money, she seems determined to give it all away before she dies. Mostly to Christian charities. She's taken homeless people into her home and helped set them up with training and uniforms. She has always given a tithe-amount to her church despite having very little, and has gently challenged those on much higher incomes to give more than a few small coins a week. She has always been there for her kids (including me), not stinting in the support she gives.

My late Dad would do anything for anybody (only partly because we needed the money as the family grew). If anyone asked for help he gave it. It was not always reciprocated by the beneficiaries of his kindness, more just taken for granted. He had to work shifts as the family grew but one of his things was that even if he was tired, he polished all the family's shoes when he came home. He was great at giving hugs, holding hands, and having fun. He loved us and showed it.

And now, perhaps, some of the people at church, who give wise and gentle answers, give generously of their time, are community-oriented and live out the gospel in practical ways.

I suppose some of us might be exemplars for other people (oh heck!). Gosh! Hope they can sort out the wheat (the Christ) from the chaff (my own rubbishy actions).

That's it, really. Who are our examples today?

For me - my Mum nowadays. We fought horribly when I was growing up - I ran away from home because either she would kill me or I would kill her, so it seemed. We've both changed and mellowed. Now, despite never having had much money, she seems determined to give it all away before she dies. Mostly to Christian charities. She's taken homeless people into her home and helped set them up with training and uniforms. She has always given a tithe-amount to her church despite having very little, and has gently challenged those on much higher incomes to give more than a few small coins a week. She has always been there for her kids (including me), not stinting in the support she gives.

My late Dad would do anything for anybody (only partly because we needed the money as the family grew). If anyone asked for help he gave it. It was not always reciprocated by the beneficiaries of his kindness, more just taken for granted. He had to work shifts as the family grew but one of his things was that even if he was tired, he polished all the family's shoes when he came home. He was great at giving hugs, holding hands, and having fun. He loved us and showed it.

And now, perhaps, some of the people at church, who give wise and gentle answers, give generously of their time, are community-oriented and live out the gospel in practical ways.

I suppose some of us might be exemplars for other people (oh heck!). Gosh! Hope they can sort out the wheat (the Christ) from the chaff (my own rubbishy actions).

A dear friend of mine and a pastor exemplifies Christ in many ways. He leads our ministry called "Church Without Walls". That's an urban ministry that reaches out in tangible ways to the poor and needy in our city. That would include overseeing our 2 food pantries. But that really doesn't describe him. When he was being considered for he job he was asked what he thought of as the perfect ministry situation for him. His answer was spending hours praying for a sick child in a hospital. He doesn't go for the "glitz" or the recognition. In fact, he's not really an up-front type of person at all.

Another activity of the ministry he leads goes down to the river one day each week to pray, feed, and minister to the homeless. That ministry will lend assistance to those who want to break free of that lifestyle and some of the things that come with it, like drug addiction. They've had more than a few people be able to break free, secure jobs, and support themselves.

He also leads a mission team once a year to Zambia. He does all this even though he himself has been diagnosed with cancer and suffers from diabetes. He is always there for people and greets them with smile. Not many know about his health issues. My wife just happens to be good friends with his wife so we know stuff. When you're talking with him, you feel like one of the most important people in the world. So, he's quite a giver and he's been a great friend not just to my wife and I, but to many.

There are others who I think exemplify Christ. I think of William Wilberforce, Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, and those very brave Polish women who during the Nazi occupation smuggled Jewish children out of the Warsaw Ghetto. They did this at great peril. I'm sure there are others whose names we've never heard of.

People who know my story may glorify Christ when they hear it. But I do not provide that great of a living example to be honest. I'm just a rescued stray whose glad to be on the right side of the fence.

• Upvote 1

Red Thread was all about JC in books of scripture.

This thread is about (in summary) seeing the Christ in others. How Christ might seem, in action, today. Real-life examples that we can look at and learn from. As Paul said; Be ye followers of me. Well, Paul is dead too. So whose example can we follow today?