GreaseSpot Cafe

Nathanael the Disciple

MRAP

In the gospel of John, 1, 45-50. Jesus saw Nathanael under the fig tree, for some reason, Nathanael understood that as "how did Jesus know I was there". Did Jesus actually see Natnanael (with eyes) or was something else in play that nobody could have known that Nathanael was under the fig tree unless there was something else going on, such as revelation. Well, Nathanael was sure convinced to the point of calling Jesus the Son of God.

Nothing to do with any specific translation here but if you want to address how it has been translated in the REV, feel free to elaborate on that as well.

I'm getting that the most likely meaning is that Nathaniel concluded Jesus saw him by

revelation one way or another, and responded with that in mind. I mean, just plain

good eyesight is nice but not miraculous.

Another thing I was thinking about was a possible paucity of signs.

Under the Roman occupation, the remaining prophets and so on may have

stayed alive by keeping a lower, less-controversial profile.

The Romans didn't pry, so if they didn't draw attention to themselves,

they could survive under Roman rule.

(Then came John and Jesus and all that went out the window.)

Wordwolf, I did not think it was "eye sight" either but I did not want to rule that out of the equation. I gotta lean to the revelation angle as well. It also seems that Jesus had chosen Nathanael prior to Philip's intervention in the matter but it also states in vs 45 that Philip "finds" Nathanael as though Philip was looking for him. I am not attempting to read too much into this scenario but I find it worth discussing how Jesus selected the 12. There's so much already posted on GSC: if someone can direct me to the correct thread I will go there to check this out.

Frankly, not much comes up on any search regarding Nathanael or his supposed other name (Bartholemew - spelling is off); actually, in the Nathanael search (GSC and elsewhere) there ain't crap on him. Additionally, there's not alot of anything redarding the rest of the disciples until after their selection (I stayed outa Acts).

I thought this might have been interesting: how Jesus selected disciples. No, I don't even want to get into the Judas Iscariot thing at this time, unless, someone wants to to go there; I can't imagine how deep we could take that.

Hey, dangling bait here for you Biblical scholastic folks since my understanding of it all is quite shallow.

I am interested in the concept (for lack of a better word) how Jesus made the decision/s in selecting his faithfull. I am not asking that we get into a discussion about "The mind of Christ" but early in Christ's minestry, how were these selections made? It seems that the Bible leaves alot to speculation, sometimes I wonder if we should even speculate.

I am ignorant and appreciate reading the discussions of those less ignorant; I think the topic is worth discussion, time will tell.