GreaseSpot Cafe

When is it rude?

Posted (edited)

This thread actually STARTED as a self-policing "when is it rude for an atheist to bring up atheism when we're having doctrinal discussions?" 

At least that was the intent.

And I think we reached a consensus that there are very limited circumstances in which it is polite and on topic.

For example, if we're talking about whether the Trinity is Biblically accurate, it might be best to back off. Maybe point to a couple of contradictory verses and say you don't see a way to resolve them without doing damage to one or the other. But for the most part "Jesus Christ is not God because there is no God he was at most a troublemaking itinerant preacher with a massive ego" is not a viewpoint that is either welcome or polite. 

However, if we're talking about the historical development of the Trinity doctrine, your Christianity or atheism is largely irrelevant. Facts is facts. 

Sometimes revealing yourself as an atheist [or reminding people] is a constructive way of demonstrating a lack of bias. 

Do Christians need to tithe? Studied that one back and forth. And I can honestly say I have no dog in the fight. No, Christians do not need to tithe. That is the Biblical answer. And it is as close to ironclad as you're going to get. The Biblical God doesn't expect a tithe from Christians, never asks for one. He DOES, however, expect generous giving, commensurate with your faith, your understanding, your love, your outward devotion to speaking the Word, and your commitment. If that says 10 percent to you, give it. If it says 8, fine. Maybe it says 25. OK. But it's on you. There's no floor, and the ceiling is only 100 percent because math.

All of which is to say, for the wondering atheist, is READ THE ROOM.

More later.

Edited by Raf

3 hours ago, Charity said:

I'm interested in what insight others might have as to why some Christians become frustrated, angry or uncivil with atheists.

Emotional insecurity or immaturity perhaps.

Posted (edited)

Guilty.

Sometimes.

I get annoyed when we leave the topic and make it about people.

It's also bothersome when there's, to put it politely, a reading comprehension issue. Over the last few days I've nearly bitten my tongue clean off over distortions of my posts that could be resolved in nanoseconds with just a single working brain cell.

The doctrinal section, the entire Matters of Faith section, is NOT a "Christians only" safe space, nor is it a "Christian hunting season is open" space. Some people just can't handle the fact that atheists post here and that Christianity gets no special treatment [even in light of an entire subsection where Christianity gets special treatment]. 

NOTE: CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM OF MY POSTING IS WELCOME HERE. PLEASE DM IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS MY MODERATING.

Edited by Raf