GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

Ok, now Bible scholars in this group.  :biglaugh:

Esther 8:9

Hopefully, someone will get THIS one:

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, and Aerosmith both had hit songs with the same title (though the latter was clearly not a cover of the former).  Name those songs.

George

Ok, as an Aerosmith fan (if a minor one), I was expecting one of their older songs, something from the 70s.

This was off "Permanent Vacation," in the late 80s.   I don't know Frankie Valli's portfolio, but the only Aerosmith song that I know of that actually was a DC villain's name was

"RAG DOLL."

I'm very confident that the villain did NOT inspire the song. 

OK, I have a sports question (yes, really.)

Nowadays, US TV allows broadcasts of US sporting events to have coverage for as long as the event lasts. They used to allow for a large time slot, and kept to that, even if the game might have a few minutes remaining somehow afterwards.   This practice ended largely due to a game where the actual game's coverage on the East Coast was interrupted by a television movie.   As it turned out, the missing portion of the game included an amazing comeback, and a team coming from behind to win the match.

Normal question-  WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE MOVIE THAT INTERRUPTED THE GAME?

Ridiculously hard question- WHICH TWO TEAMS WERE PLAYING IN THE INTERRUPTED GAME?

Answer the ridiculously hard question if you can.   Otherwise, please answer the normal question.

I don't remember the teams, but I'm pretty sure it was "Heidi" that interrupted the game.

Unfortunately, the networks' solution now is to air a game in its entirety and then show the other shows afterwards.  So If you try to tape a show, you might only get the first half, because you tape the last 20-30 minutes of football (or, now, even basketball).  I wind up having to tape well into the news and late-night shows in order to see the earlier shows in their entirety.

George

6 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I don't remember the teams, but I'm pretty sure it was "Heidi" that interrupted the game.

Unfortunately, the networks' solution now is to air a game in its entirety and then show the other shows afterwards.  So If you try to tape a show, you might only get the first half, because you tape the last 20-30 minutes of football (or, now, even basketball).  I wind up having to tape well into the news and late-night shows in order to see the earlier shows in their entirety.

George

Yes, this was known as "the Heidi Bowl" in some circles due to this blunder.

What was the first movie to win the Academy Award for Best Picture (called Outstanding Picture, then)?  What else is unique about that film?

George

PS Just not to leave the rest of WW's question hanging, it was the Raiders and the Jets.

Posted (edited)

The first Academy Award for Best Picture went to "Wings".  But, I don't have anything else about the movie that would make it unique.  Emil Jannings was the first recipient or first Oscar laureate, if you will, winning Best Actor for his performance in TWO movie pictures;  "The Way of All Flesh" and "The Last Command".  That is unique, but it has nothing to do with "Wings".

Edited by Human without the bean

Here's something.   In the history of the Academy Awards, only six films have had in them, both the winning Best Actor and the winning Best Actress.  The first was in 1934. (I think this clue makes that one easier). The last time in happened was about 25 years ago.   I checked here in the forums, and in Movie Mash up, I alluded to three of them in my post back in 2020.  Name the movie and the actor and actress which both Oscar's were awarded for Best Actor and Best Actress.  Name three if you can.

On 4/6/2024 at 8:25 PM, Human without the bean said:

Here's something.   In the history of the Academy Awards, only six films have had in them, both the winning Best Actor and the winning Best Actress.  The first was in 1934. (I think this clue makes that one easier). The last time in happened was about 25 years ago.   I checked here in the forums, and in Movie Mash up, I alluded to three of them in my post back in 2020.  Name the movie and the actor and actress which both Oscar's were awarded for Best Actor and Best Actress.  Name three if you can.

Bump

Hey, I didn't intent for this to be (if it is?) that hard of a trivia question.  If I was asked this question, I know I could come up with the three I need to take this round.   Interestingly, not that far back, we discussed a couple of these Awarding winning movies on some other threads.   So anyway, I may pop in a clue or two if someone needs them.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Here are three guesses.  I have no idea if any are correct.

Gone with the Wind (Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh)

Casablanca (Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman)

It Happened One Night (Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert)

George

You got one George.  It Happened One Night.   There were two pictures in the late 70's, one of which everyone who watches movies should recognize.  The last picture to win both Best Acting awards (male lead and female lead) was a comedy and a drama. That happened 25 yrs. ago.  I don't like that  word dramedy.  Anyhow, here's a clue that may help you.  In both of those pictures, the same male actor won the leading Best Actor Oscar for both pictures.  Big clue I think.

Edited by Human without the bean

As Good As It Gets (Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt)

Can't think of the 70s movies.  (Rocky and Stallone come to mind, but I doubt Talia Shire wond Best Actress).

Maybe Five Easy Pieces with Nicholson and Karen Black?

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge
Added second guess

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

As Good As It Gets (Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt)

Can't think of the 70s movies.  (Rocky and Stallone come to mind, but I doubt Talia Shire wond Best Actress).

Maybe Five Easy Pieces with Nicholson and Karen Black?

George

"As Good As It Gets" is another one, but I thought you would have given the other movie George, with the same actor in it, instead of this one for the answer.  I just looked at the list.  Man, there are some good movies on it!  Big Classic movies.