GreaseSpot Cafe

Isaiah 9:6

This verse, commonly read in late December, has always been a total puzzle to me.  Conventional Christian theory takes a part of this and then applies the whole of it to Jesus, assuming it's a prophecy of his birth.  I was going to ask a Jewish friend for the conventional Jewish understanding but did a bit of research myself on Jewish sites.  Chabad is quite well recognised ; I found this site on a recommendation from a former poster here.

Authorised ("King James") version: 

6For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

7Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Here's another version of the whole chapter, and if you don't like this, you can easily choose a different version at the top of the page:

Chabad.org explains it thus:

5For a child has been born to us, a son given to us, and the authority is upon his shoulder, and the wondrous adviser, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, called his name, "the prince of peace."   הכִּי־יֶ֣לֶד יֻלַּד־לָ֗נוּ בֵּן נִתַּן־לָ֔נוּ וַתְּהִ֥י הַמִּשְׂרָ֖ה עַל־שִׁכְמ֑וֹ וַיִּקְרָ֨א שְׁמ֜וֹ פֶּ֠לֶא יוֹעֵץ֙ אֵ֣ל גִּבּ֔וֹר אֲבִי־עַ֖ד שַׂר־שָׁלֽוֹם:
This makes complete sense to me.

And some further background is here: 

In particular, the last 3 sentences of this article sum up my "puzzle" exactly.

Does anyone have any further thoughts, background knowledge, other sources?

Here's a different translation: 

https://mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et1009.htm

5 For a child is born unto us, a son is given unto us; and the government is upon his shoulder; and his name is called Pele-joez-el-gibbor-Abi-ad-sar-shalom; 6 That the government may be increased, and of peace there be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to establish it, and to uphold it through justice and through righteousness from henceforth even for ever.

(  :offtopic:I don 't think they mean "Pele the footballer)

I asked (emailed) my Jewish friend.  If she says anything helpful, I'll let you know.

14 minutes ago, Twinky said:
This verse, commonly read in late December, has always been a total puzzle to me.  Conventional Christian theory takes a part of this and then applies the whole of it to Jesus, assuming it's a prophecy of his birth.  I was going to ask a Jewish friend for the conventional Jewish understanding but did a bit of research myself on Jewish sites.  Chabad is quite well recognised ; I found this site on a recommendation from a former poster here.

Authorised ("King James") version: 

6For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

7Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Here's another version of the whole chapter, and if you don't like this, you can easily choose a different version at the top of the page:

Chabad.org explains it thus:

5For a child has been born to us, a son given to us, and the authority is upon his shoulder, and the wondrous adviser, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, called his name, "the prince of peace."   הכִּי־יֶ֣לֶד יֻלַּד־לָ֗נוּ בֵּן נִתַּן־לָ֔נוּ וַתְּהִ֥י הַמִּשְׂרָ֖ה עַל־שִׁכְמ֑וֹ וַיִּקְרָ֨א שְׁמ֜וֹ פֶּ֠לֶא יוֹעֵץ֙ אֵ֣ל גִּבּ֔וֹר אֲבִי־עַ֖ד שַׂר־שָׁלֽוֹם:
This makes complete sense to me.

And some further background is here: 

In particular, the last 3 sentences of this article sum up my "puzzle" exactly.

Does anyone have any further thoughts, background knowledge, other sources?

Wow. Just last night I was listening to an interview with Dr. Joel Baden, Professor of Hebrew Bible at Yale Divinity School. The discussion was on "the original text," manuscripts, versions, translations.

The Jewish Bible, is based on the Masoretic Text. The KJV OT is from the Septuagint, right? Also, there are the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Pedangta, and so on...

It all depends... 

There are no original autographs. Every manuscript's has been changed. Every. Single. One.

Which translation brings you peace?

I like the Chabad.org verlsion. It makes sense.

I picked this up from Quora.  It's a little way down the page:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-Jewish-people-interpret-Isaiah-9-6

https://qr.ae/prr3If

M.A. in Near Eastern Languages, Ph.D. in Mass Communication Author has 6.8K answers and 1.4M answer views2y

Not one single verse of our Jewish scripture whatsoever refers to Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Huitzilopochtli, Joseph Smith, Mary Baker Eddy or any leader or central figure of any other non-Jewish system. Of course, if you know of some religious leader who bore the name in Isaiah 9:6, “Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace” instead of being named Jesus, Mohammed, Huitzilopochtli or whatever, maybe you will have a candidate. Let us know.

CORRECTION: I made a mistake in depending on a Christian translation. That Christian translation changed the tenses from past to future [Twinky's emphasis] I have now looked at the Hebrew. The passage is in the past tense. It is not a prediction. It is a report. It is about a name that a person has already been called.

In the Hebrew, the verse explicitly says, in the past tense: “A child was born to us. A son has been given to us. Government (or authority) is on his shoulder. And his name has been called, ‘God-plans-a wonder-God-is-wonderful-Mighty-Eternal-a-Peaceable Ruler” Isaiah 9:6.(The JPS translation is almost exactly this, also.)

Sorry, I should have looked at the Hebrew earlier. A lesson to us all about Posting in Haste!

My final paragraph still stands, where I said that of course Mary, in the New Testament, does not name her child Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace [or anything like ‘God-plans-a wonder-God-is-wonderful-Mighty-Eternal-a-Peaceable Ruler,” either]. Nobody I can find in the whole New Testament ever addresses Jesus by any such name or any other name that is a long sentence, either.

Consulting the Hebrew takes care of any attempts to apply the verse to Jesus, about eight centuries after Isaiah’s time, even assuming that somebody thinks they can find an example in the New Testament where Jesus’ name is a long sentence about God being eternal and wonderful, peaceably planning miracles - or any other long sentence.

50 minutes ago, Twinky said:

I picked this up from Quora.  It's a little way down the page:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-Jewish-people-interpret-Isaiah-9-6

https://qr.ae/prr3If

M.A. in Near Eastern Languages, Ph.D. in Mass Communication Author has 6.8K answers and 1.4M answer views2y

Not one single verse of our Jewish scripture whatsoever refers to Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Huitzilopochtli, Joseph Smith, Mary Baker Eddy or any leader or central figure of any other non-Jewish system. Of course, if you know of some religious leader who bore the name in Isaiah 9:6, “Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace” instead of being named Jesus, Mohammed, Huitzilopochtli or whatever, maybe you will have a candidate. Let us know.

CORRECTION: I made a mistake in depending on a Christian translation. That Christian translation changed the tenses from past to future [Twinky's emphasis] I have now looked at the Hebrew. The passage is in the past tense. It is not a prediction. It is a report. It is about a name that a person has already been called.

In the Hebrew, the verse explicitly says, in the past tense: “A child was born to us. A son has been given to us. Government (or authority) is on his shoulder. And his name has been called, ‘God-plans-a wonder-God-is-wonderful-Mighty-Eternal-a-Peaceable Ruler” Isaiah 9:6.(The JPS translation is almost exactly this, also.)

Sorry, I should have looked at the Hebrew earlier. A lesson to us all about Posting in Haste!

My final paragraph still stands, where I said that of course Mary, in the New Testament, does not name her child Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace [or anything like ‘God-plans-a wonder-God-is-wonderful-Mighty-Eternal-a-Peaceable Ruler,” either]. Nobody I can find in the whole New Testament ever addresses Jesus by any such name or any other name that is a long sentence, either.

Consulting the Hebrew takes care of any attempts to apply the verse to Jesus, about eight centuries after Isaiah’s time, even assuming that somebody thinks they can find an example in the New Testament where Jesus’ name is a long sentence about God being eternal and wonderful, peaceably planning miracles - or any other long sentence.

Susan Krakowsky makes a compelling case.

I don't know Hebrew, so I won't offer an opinion on how to translate the text. At this time, I can only defer to the experts, which I am not.

I think there's a lot of re-contextualizing of Hebrew scripture by Paul -- even more re-contextualizing by modern theologians and preacher men.

Generally, MAKING something fit means it doesn't naturally fit. IMO.

Still doing some checking on this.  At T-Bone's recommendation, I've been rummaging around in the Complete Jewish Study Bible, which can be downloaded as a PDF.  It's not very searchable, as there are no hyperlinks. (I have become so intrigued by this JSB that I might well buy a copy.)

Anyhow, I eventually found this commentary.  First, their translation of vv 5-6:

For a child has been born to us, A son has been given us. And authority has settled on his shoulders. He has been named "The Mighty God is planning grace;' The Eternal Father, a peaceable ruler"­ In token of abundant authority And of peace without limit Upon David's throne and kingdom, That it may be firmly established In justice and in equity Now and evermore. The zeal of the LORD of Hosts Shall bring this to pass.

And now the commentary: 

9.1-6: The ideal Davidic king. Isaiah describes liberation from some form of adversity (perhaps the Assyrian conquests of Israelite territory described in the previous vv., or Syro-Ephraimite pressures on Judah). The verbs are in the past tense. Some interpreters view them as examples of the "prophetic past," which predicts future events using the past tense because they are as good as done. Thus it is not clear whether the Davidic king whose birth and rule are described (vv. 5-6) has already been born (if the verbs are a regular past tense) or will be born in the future (prophetic past). If the former, the v. probably refers to Ahaz's son Hezekiah, as many modern and rabbinic commentators believe (though other possibilities exist depending on the date of the passage). Most later readers (both Jewish and Christian) understood the passage to describe an ideal future ruler, i.e., the Messiah. 5: "The Mighty God . . . ruler": This long sentence is the throne name of the royal child. Semitic names often consist of sentences that describe God; thus the name Isaiah in Hebrew means "The LoRD saves"; Hezekiah, "The LoRD strengthens"; in Akkadian, the name of the Babylonian king Merodach-baladan (Isa. 39.1) means "the god Marduk has provided an heir." These names do not describe that person who holds them but the god whom the parents worship. Similarly, the name given to the child in this v. does not describe that child or attribute divinity to him, contrary to classical Christian readings of this messianic verse.

51 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I think there's a lot of re-contextualizing of Hebrew scripture by Paul -- even more re-contextualizing by modern theologians and preacher men.

The NT, is, as you say, a lot of re-contextualising of what Christians call the OT.

But then, the NT is kicked off by a lot of re-contextualising by Jesus himself.  Luke 4:21 is a great example:  “This day is this Scripture fulfilled in your ears..."  , which, as it happens, is from Isaiah 61.

5 minutes ago, Twinky said:

The NT, is, as you say, a lot of re-contextualising of what Christians call the OT.

But then, the NT is kicked off by a lot of re-contextualising by Jesus himself.  Luke 4:21 is a great example:  “This day is this Scripture fulfilled in your ears..."  , which, as it happens, is from Isaiah 61.

Agreed.

11 hours ago, Twinky said:

11 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Agreed.

There's a saying that's sort of made it's rounds in Christendom that "the Old Testament is the New Testament concealed and the New Testament is the Old Testament revealed...it fits I think.

Just thinking about names generally in the OT and NT, we know very, very many names include -el or El- (God/Elohim) or Je- (God/Jehovah).  Just about any page you open a Bible, you'll find a name in this format.  Examples: Daniel is a masculine given name and a surname of Hebrew origin. It means "God is my judge" (cf. Gabriel—"God is my strength")  From the Hebrew name דָּנִיֵּאל (Daniyyel) meaning "God is my judge", from the roots דִּין (din) meaning "to judge" and אֵל ('el) meaning "God")  Elisabeth from Heb 'elishebha` (Elisheba), "God is (my) oath," i.e. a worshipper of God), Elijah (a double-God name!), Elishah... and many more.

Doesn't mean that any of these people were God.  

Then we get "Jesus."  Taken to mean "God our Saviour" and therefore that the bearer of the name was himself God.  

The name Jesus is a contraction, common at the time Jesus our Saviour was born.  It's a contraction of Jehoshua - God our Saviour - which itself became shortened to "Joshua." 

The name Jesus is much the same as the older name Joshua and the even older name Jehoshua.  Nobody thought that Joshua, Moses's most faithful and loyal aide, and later the leader into the promised land, was God.

Just calling someone by any of these names doesn't indicate that the child so named was God, any more than naming your own child Daniel or Elisabeth makes that child God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_(name)

What's clear is that Jesus wasn't given (as far as we know) any name or contraction of any name that appears in Isaiah 9:6.

And furthermore:

The gospel of Luke is fairly bland on the naming of Jesus.  All it says (Luke 2) is:

17When they [the shepherds] had seen Him, they made known the statement which had been told them about this Child. 18And all who heard it were amazed about the things which were told them by the shepherds. 19But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart. 20And the shepherds went back, glorifying and praising God for all that they had heard and seen, just as had been told them.

21And when eight days were completed [m]so that it was time for His circumcision, He was also named Jesus, the name given by the angel before He was conceived in the womb.

Gospel of Matthew has a little more detail:

Matthew 1:20But when he [Joseph] had thought this over, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.  She will give birth to a Son, and you shall name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." 

Now all this took place so that what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet would be fulfilled.  "Behold, the virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they shall name him Immanuel," which translated means, "God with us."  And Joseph awoke from his sleep and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took Mary as his wife, but kept her a virgin until she gave birth to a son; and he named him Jesus.

That's a verse from Isaiah 7:14 - https://biblehub.com/kjv/isaiah/7.htm

The Sign of Immanuel

(Micah 5:1-6; Matthew 1:18-25; Luke 2:1-7)

10Moreover the LORD spake again unto Ahaz, saying, 11Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above. 12But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD. 13And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also? 14Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. 15Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good. 16For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

This is how Strong's describes the name Immanuel: 

Immanuel.
אֵֽל׃ (’êl)
Noun - proper - masculine singular
Strong's Hebrew 6005: Immanuel = 'God with us' or 'with us is God' 1) symbolic and prophetic name of the Messiah, the Christ, prophesying that He would be born of a virgin and would be 'God with us'

So how come this child was named "Jesus" (God our Saviour) and not "Immanuel" (God with us)?  [ note that -el suffix, as discussed in my above post.  Again, it wouldn't mean that the bearer of the name was God].  Did the angel get confused, or get the names mixed up?  Seems unlikely!  Were Joseph and Mary disobedient?  Also seems unlikely.

Did the baby have more than one name?  Again, seems unlikely.  There are records of males and a few females being given new names in both OT and NT, but they are at specific times when some great thing is about to happen in that person's life.

Perhaps Jesus was named Jesus at his birth and circumcision, and the name Immanuel was only from his baptism at the start of his ministry?  But then, all the gospels continue to call him Jesus.  And all the records of what people called him - also Jesus.  Never Immanuel.

It's clear the name was never anything like the immensely long name, or any part of the name, recorded in Isaiah 9.

And perhaps Isaiah 7:14 is not as prophetic as Christians would like to believe?

Edited by Twinky

34 minutes ago, Twinky said:

15Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good

I'm not sure how eating butter and honey helps one know to refuse evil and choose good, but hey-ho.  Maybe there was significance in the OT.  Sounds like words spoken by the false comforter Zophar, from Job 20:17.

The description actually seems more like the way of life for John the Baptist, whose diet was locusts and wild honey (ugh).