GreaseSpot Cafe

Carnivale

Hope R.

Anyone watching? Whaddya think?

I'm not sure yet. Wierd - very "Twin Peak"-ish.

I didn't get the significance of the robe or scarf or whatever-it-was hanging on the trailer door at the end of the 2nd episode - and I watched it twice to see if I'd missed something.

Also can't tell where the Carnivale is since it left Oklahoma in episode 1 - are they still there and heading south?

Reviews and opinions would be much appreciated!

Hope R. color>size>face>

I had high hopes for it, but the storyline PLODS. I'll keep watching, but the main character is darn near unlikeable. Okay, I get it, he's a sullen, brooding teenager--GET ON WITH THE STORY!

Of course, one of the developers of the show is Ronald D. Moore, one of the evil bastards who was responsible for ruining the new Star Trek shows. Coincidence? I think not...

The fool hath said in his heart, "PFAL is the word of God..."

quote:
Originally posted by Zixar:

I had high hopes for it, but the storyline PLODS. I'll keep watching, but the main character is darn near unlikeable. Okay, I get it, he's a sullen, brooding teenager--GET ON WITH THE STORY!

Yeah, I didn't like it either...it just sucked and I only watched a little over half of the first episode. Fortunately, "Taken" will be back on the scifi channel on Sundays starting this coming Sunday.

quote:
Originally posted by Zixar:

Of course, one of the developers of the show is Ronald D. Moore, one of the evil bastards who was responsible for ruining the new Star Trek shows. Coincidence? I think not...

What did he do? I liked TNG which was on when I was a kid, and the original series seemed interesting (but horrible special effects), but anything after that was crap. Is he the guy that did DS9 onward?

I don't get HBO, but the ads for "Carnivale" do indeed look very "Twin Peakish", in no small part due to the midget, who also appeared in Peaks as well as "Mulholland Drive".

I had always hoped David Lynch would do a sequel to "Twin Peaks" -what a delightfully, nutty show that was. A crossover sequel with the "X-Files" would have been interesting, if done right.

Danny

Dan - I have all but one episode of "Twin Peaks" on video. I was HOOKED when it was on. Never told my TWI friends, though - it would have looked reallllly bad.

I will honestly say that the "Bob" character on "Twin Peaks" scared me half to death. I couldn't pass by my couch in the living room without thinking he was going to crawl out from behind it. Gives me the chills just thinking about it...

Hope R. color>size>face>

Hope,

That was "damn good coffee...and hot!"

I still have via old videotapes the original run of "Twin Peaks", though I had lost the last episode over the years until recently, when I taped it off the "Bravo" channel.

"Bob" was indeed one of the most intensely scariest characters to have hit the TV screens.

It amazes me that fans still debate and search out the meanings to the various points of Twin Peak cosmology, with the same intense zeal I observe in the "Doctrinal" forum here and elsewhere.

What did you think of the prequel, "Fire Walk with Me"?

I'm hoping David Lynch releases the full, uncut version of this someday (4-5 hours?) - unlike the present version in circulation, all the cast members of the original series were supposedly in it.

Danny

I actually paid money to go see "Fire..." and thought it was just awful. Seemed like more of an afterthought than a prequel.

Oh, I also have Laura Palmer's diary somewhere... and the Vangelis CD of the music. The first season was much better than the 2nd, but I kept watching it anyway.

Don't know if I can handle 4 to 5 hours of "Fire..." It's confusing enough in it's short form.

Hope R. color>size>face>

Twin Peaks was a good show. Pity it ran out of gas when it tried to go for a full season. I fear Nip/Tuck will run out of gas, too. I don't see how they can keep abusing their main characters like that forever...

Still, as Hope said, perhaps once Ben and Brother Justin meet up Carnivale will get moving...

I've been watching... I think they were somewhere in the midwest when they picked up the kid (after he buried his mother)... now they're in California (most of the midwesterners who went out west during the dust bowl/depression were called "Okies")... I know it plods, but I'm going to take a chance and invest the time... SFU took a while to develop (even though they did wrap up each death within each show) and look how that turned out...

so now, we know Ben (the kid) has special powers, the preacher seems to as well,they have some connection (the same dreams), Ben's mother was in the circus at one time, we know the top hat guy had something to do with the girl in the picture (Ben's mother), what about the army guy? and who is "the boss"?... it's just going to require some commitment, I hope it's worth it...

and I couldn't help but think of TP as well with "the logman" (isn't that who he was? Garmanbozia?)

... confusion will be my epitath...

I think "the management" is Sophie's Veg-o-Matic mom... the one with the psychic powers.

"The Management" wanted Samson to hire Ben Hawkins full time. "The Management" knows he has gifts... so I think it's the spooky mom!

Are you sure they're in CA? I didn't think so, but I've been known to be wrong before!

Hope R. color>size>face>

Here's the answer to "where are they"--the Carnivale is in OK or thereabouts, Brother Justin is in CA. From the HBO website:

quote:
On a bankrupt family farm in the middle of dustbowl Oklahoma, a traveling carnival encounters Ben Hawkins, a young man desperately trying to hold off a bulldozer from the bank-at least long enough for him to finish burying his mother. Seeing that Ben is on his last legs, members of the Carnivale wearily grab shovels and give the woman a half-decent burial.

But just as the hymns are sung and the bulldozer plows into the Hawkins home, sirens are heard, and the chain around Ben's ankle suggests he is what they're after. Samson, the diminutive boss of the troupe, orders the crew to grab Ben, who has passed out with exhaustion, and make some dust.

Later, Samson tells Jonesy, the boss of the roustabouts, that he has discussed the Carnivale's new stowaway with Management, the mysterious owner of the show. "You know what he said?" Samson asks, shaking his head. "He was expected." The mystery only deepens when the mentalist Lodz touches Ben asleep and is overwhelmed by the boy's devastating and powerful visions.

When Ben comes to, he seems unnerved by the people that have saved him: Lila, the bearded lady, the strong man Gabriel, Gecko, the lizard man; the Siamese twins Caledonia and Alexandria. He also clashes with Jonesy, a weary cynic who ridicules Ben as "a huck."

Meanwhile, half a country away, a minister named Brother Justin Crowe attends to his flock, including a down-and-out Okie who has stolen from the collection plate. But when the woman begins vomiting a stream of silver dollars, it becomes clear that something profound is happening to Brother Justin. Later, he has a powerful vision outside Chin's, a local house of ill-repute. At the Carnivale, Samson (at Management's behest) tries to convince Ben to join the outfit fulltime. But despite his lack of options, the taciturn Ben is repulsed by the idea. The only person he seems to be able to talk to at all is the young fortune teller Sophie. But when she finally gets him to sit for a Tarot reading, the cards-evoking the past, transformation and a hidden talent-draw Ben into memories of his terrible, terrible secret.

Running far from Sophie's bus, he finds himself in front of a local girl confined to a wagon, a sweet kid who loves the Ferris Wheel and whose legs are crippled by a painful condition. Resigned, he kneels down and places his hands on her shins...

He doesn't look back as he runs after the caravan and pulls himself up on the departing truck. He doesn't see the little girl stand up and skip away. He knows what he has done for her. And he knows there will be a price to pay.

I can't say for sure, but I think Management is a metaphor for God...

Oh... I thought they went to California after they picked up Ben... remember the Carnivale trucks driving through the "camps", I thought those were the camps outside the town the minister lived in... and how Ben got mad at them for shanghai-ing him and taking him halfway across the country?... and there weren't any camps in Oklahoma back then, just out in California where all of the dust bowl folks went to... hmmmm

At the HBO.com site, there's the show "summaries" (like 6er pointed out) there's also a message board with lots of interesting ideas and some links to interview sites, etc...

... confusion will be my epitath...

[This message was edited by Tom Strange on September 25, 2003 at 11:48.]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is getting wierder - but I can't stop watching it. The craziness reminds me of "Twin Peaks" and not just because of Samson.

Interesting interview, Tom - maybe Brother Justin is the good one and Ben Hawkins is the evil one.

Did you get one bit of the past 2 weeks? The mines, the dead guys, the blind dude?

I'm really confused.

Hope R. color>size>face>

Okay - I can sort of see where it's going now. I still don't get the blind guy's desire to involve himself in Ben's life. And didja see the way he hit the bearded lady? Eek!

Poor Sophie - she almost got out of there. I wonder how her mom is going to retaliate for her desertion?

And Brother Justin - his story is getting more interesting as well. Was the reporter hitting on his sister or just making nice to get more info? I'll have to catch it on HBO2 tonight - it always makes more sense the 2nd time around.

Hope R. color>size>face>

When Ben healed the strong man's arm- which he had broken- in the lake and all the fish died and rose to the top- his power comes at a price to something else. Thought that was very interesting. He might be bad after all. And the vision of Justin being the man that he killed with his power as child- I find this show to be VERY intriguing.

Oh, yes...The Prisoner...

"Where am I?"

"In the Village."

"What do you want?"

"Information."

"Which side are you on?"

"That would be telling. We want information. Information. Information!"

"You won't get it!"

"By hook or by crook, we will."

"Who are you?"

"The new Number 2."

"Who is Number 1?"