GreaseSpot Cafe

Don't know if I should brag or cry!

Bramble

Just found out my oldest was nominated by the school to attend a Congressional Youth Leaders conference in Washington DC. We got the acceptance packet today.

It is a wonderful opportunity. Really cool. Once in a lifetime type deal.

It is about 4 times more expensive than the wonderful opportunity we fund raised for last year!

Fund raising is becoming my life.

Bramble... I can totally relate, as the proud mom of a kid who was nominated to be a student ambassador to another country this summer... the cost is astronomical, but how can I say "no" to such a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for him? Just call me the fund-raising queen.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I remember those days way tooo well! Once I was out of school I was recruited to help raise funds for my brother's school awards. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Perhaps Paw would let you peddle GSpot aprons or something like that? I'd buy one....or two....or three.... icon_smile.gif:)-->

Bramble... I would love to hear what your group is doing to raise money.

Ours has done: grocery bagging, raffles, candy sales, and letters asking for corporate sponsorships... This has gotten us to the half-way mark. Still to come: a rummage sale, pancake breakfast, cookbook sales, and basket bingo.

We also considered a school dance, parent's night out sitting service, take-out spaghetti dinner, and working at a local venue in the concessions stand for a percentage of the profits, but couldn't follow-through on these ideas for various reasons.

Maybe some of these ideas can help your efforts.

Highway--congradulations! You probably have alot to raise!

Since we just found out we are just starting to plan. The school district has some funds earmarked for things like this, which should pay for the plane ticket.

We'll need to raise $2500 by May 4 for the tuition, plus the previous goal for the class landscaping project, another 2k, plus the class trip etc etc. We are doing a talent show, Friday bake sales, a pizza card from a local pizza joint and a multicultural carnival with a raffle. Earlier this year we did a theater production with video sales--good money raised on that.

My child will be sending letters to various foundations and civic groups, also.

We are also investigating a scholarship, which would be lovely.

Hubby and I will have to get this kid some clothes--they have to wear office type clothing, sheesh. Kid owns jeans, t shirts, flannel shirts and basketball shorts (we don't have a dressy lifestyle.)

Students in one of the local Parocial schools here hired themelves out as "Slaves". This time of year especially people will be happy to have help doing outside work such as yard cleanup etc.

They had a list of things they were willing to do such as raking, twit bundling, window washing and even heavy spring cleaning indoors. Each item had a reasonable hourly fee. We hired a group to help with windows, and nearly everyone in this area "hired" somebody over the 3 weekends they hired themselves out. The group made plenty of cash, and helped out a lot of the senior citizens in this area.

Bramble... I like the idea of video sales on the theater production!! Krysilis... I love the idea of helping people get their spring work done!

Yes, we have to buy clothes for my child as well. Part of what this group does is try to provide people from other nations an experience with Americans that is not so stereotypical. So, the kids don't have to wear dress clothes (thank goodness!) but lots of khakis, the right size jeans, and no rips, tears, or brightly colored messages on the shirts. (okay, that eliminates his whole wardrobe!)

Not sure yet if he's gonna be allowed to wear his green chucks.

---------------------------------------

Bramble... let us know where we can send donations for your cause.

If anyone wants to buy an Australian cookbook (all Australian recipes) PT me. It's available in book form or CD.