GreaseSpot Cafe

Music Concerts: How Much Will You Pay?

I saw Christine Lavin in 97' and paid less than $15. Eric Clapton came through Omaha and I might have sprung for tickets if I had been a little more flush. I do support artists in small venues from time to time. It is getting really expensive to go to concerts. I have observed friends going into financial ruin over going to "every" concert. I was given a center, front row seat to Crosby, Stills, and Nash concert and it was life changing! I came away from that experience with a whole different attitude that lasted a long time. I think it's a matter of budgeting. Right now I have different priorities than spending a C note or more on a tickets. I like the idea of going to the small venues and seeing talent. Christine Lavin is awesome!

We saw the Eagles in Manchester, NH last year - paid $98/ticket for nosebleed seats(OUCH!)

We saw Simon & Garfunkle this spring in Boston, MA - paid $49/ticket for nosebleeds (saw the best show ever!)

This last weekend, Los Lonely Boys & The Allman Brother Band were doing a local outdoor concert - lawn seats (uncovered) were $33 - which was a good deal (if it hadn't been raining cats & dogs!)

It depends on the band playing - I think $100 is the most I'd pay to see someone who might not come up this way but every now and then or might be "retiring" soon. It also depends on how our finances are at the time. Many times, hubby & I will give tickets to a special show as a gift - it works out a lot better than another stupid tie!

reikaldy -

Wasn't she marvelous!?! I would pay a LOT more to see her again! Wish she'd come down here more often. The only reason she was here in the first place was to help celebrate the 25 year anniversary of a small NPR station. Tampa usually isn't a part of her regular circuit.

I just shelled out $87.50 per ticket to see James Taylor and The Dixie Chicks in October. It's a part of the "Vote for Change" tour. I'm looking forward to it.

Like everything else concerts here are vey expensive starting at 50-60 for"out behind the Planet pluto seats" and escalating from there to 150-175 At the "gee I can actually see facial features sets".

However in Anchorage it is not illegal to sell your extra tickets outside the venue. I have a friend who when she wants to go to a concert gets there a half and hour before start. she has a twnety dollar bill--she inevitably finds the guy with the ticket for the girl who cancelled etc. Since tickets can't be refunded at the box office they are happy to at least recoup 20 on the deal and she gets some really great seating.

I have not mastered to courage to do this

• 1 month later...

Well, I went to see Van Halen last night in Vegas. It was awesome!! I am so glad to see them back together; it was like Sammy never left. The whole thing started with "Eruption". That is so classic VH, and it was a great beginning.

Every one had their own solo. Michael Anthony did his solo with his Jack Daniels bass. Of course, he had his small JD bottle he pulled out of the guitar and threw out to the audience, and he had his own bottle he was chugging (ugggghhhh!). Alex Van Halen put on quite a drum solo, and can he play fast and furious. Sammy did his own solo with some of his old stuff. He played guitar and sang "When Eagles Fly." And then there was the god of guitars, Eddie Van Halen. That guy can play, and his solo was at least 20 minutes. He loves to play, and you can tell he must do this stuff for hours each day.

They played a lot of old VH stuff, and I have to say that Sammy sings the songs better than DLR ever did. Michael Anthony was piping in on "Somebody get me a Doctor!"

They came back for two encores, and then invited everybody to go party at Sammy's bar in Vegas. We didn't go. I'm sure there were more headed that way than the place can hold. Maybe someday I will make it to Cabo Wabo for Sammy's birthday. He is getting older, but he still looks good. I think he's turning 58 in a couple of weeks.

JohnUR:

They did play "I'll Wait", but did not to "Beautiful Girls". Actually Sammy did a good job on the old VH stuff.

The thing I appreciate about Sammy the most is how much he does for the fans. He signed tons of autographs. If someone threw something up on the stage, he would sometime wear it for awhile and then sign it and throw it back out. He got off the stage and went down with the audience. He's really personable. He didn't do so much climbing like he used to, but maybe that's where his years are showing. He looks really good though. I would never guess he's 55+.

Actually they all looked really good. Eddie is very thin, but also very muscular. I guess he's always been that way. But he was smoking whle he was playing. Kinda sucks since he got over tongue cancer. You think he'd figure out the stove burns..... I don't want to see him end up looking like Keith Richards or dead.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw REM last night. Tickets were $40 and $65. A little pricy, eh?

Good show, IMO. I wish they had done less new stuff and more old, but they played 2 hours and had a really cool light show.

I saw a video of them from the 80s and Michael Stipe moves around on stage a lot more now than he did then. He went to HS in STL even though he's originally from GA. Don't know if I'll pay that much to see them again, but it was a good concert.

When I was a youngster I had a job cleaning the grandstand at the county fair and part of the pay was free tickets to the big shows. I saw the following for free.

1963 - Bobby Vinton - "Blue Velvet"

1964 - Gary Lewis and the Playboys - "This Diamond Ring"

1965 - Sam The Sham and the Pharaohs- "Little Red Ridding Hood".

A couple of years ago Bob Dylan did a bennifit show to keep a small auditorium open in Maine, he said it was one of his favorite to perform in. I had donated a small amount of money to help keep it open and had an opportunity to purchase front row dinner table seats to his show because of it.

Dylan was to host a dinner party before the performance and only 100 people were to attend and he was to sit and chat at each table. The price was $300.00 each. My wife said I could go without her because of the cost and I almost did it. I ended up buying two tickets at $75.00 each, the most I ever spent on a concert.

I have seen Dylan 6 times.