GreaseSpot Cafe

Asthma Sucks

ChasUFarley

It’s about 3:30 AM. I’m still wheezing, trying to clear my throat, and feeling like two hands are going to wrap themselves around my neck again anytime now. My eyes are still watering. I’ve taken about eight or nine hits off my rescue inhaler. I’ve had my butt kicked already by this today.

I was diagnosed with asthma in 2001 – shortly after our first child was born. I’ve always had a lot of respiratory problems, even as a child. I think it may be because both parents were two-packs-a-day smokers, but I really can’t “blame” them, you know. Since being diagnosed I’ve done some things – more exercise, lost 50 lbs. (lots of good that does me now that I’m pregnant, but anyway…), tried some herbal teas – although most have stimulants so I can’t take them at night. As of spring this year, I was on two different daily inhalers, plus my rescue inhaler. Now that I’m pregnant, I can only use the rescue inhaler – I’ve seen a big difference since discontinuing my other two prescriptions. I miss breathing.

Anyone else here have asthma? How do you deal with it?

Chaz...you're pregnant again???? Congratulations!!!!!

Make sure your house is clean...I mean CLEAN!!!! Clean out all the mold and mildew everywhere...have them even check underneath your paint and deep in the walls.

I don't have any physical problems, but can imagine your discomfort as I have clients who suffer the same thing.

Do you have an air purifier in the house? I hear Shaklee makes a great one...in fact, I'm gonna order me one of the little ones for my little house.

Hang in girl...

Hi

I have very severe asthma, on prednisone 2-4 times a year generaly take Advair 500/50. I have had 3 babies iwht it. My Pulmonolgist didn't want me to have take prednisone while I was pregnant so he had me take a steroid inhaler at a rather high dose, (Aerobid X 8 puffs 2 times a day). I think he figured the little bit of steroid that might get in my blood stream wasbetter than depriving the baby of oxygen. Are you seeing a Pulmonologist and a high risk OB docter? That was the combo I had to use, the high risk OB is less stressed by the use of extra drugs in pregnanacy than the regular OB.

PS I have 3 very healthy children

I have severe asthma as well, it seems to be seasonal...starting around thanksgiving I am in bad shape, used to be till spring.

Showers and steam help....a dehumidifyer can help...

What has helped me is a change in environment when I get bad.

We have started going to orlando for a week or two around christmas time and for some reason.....my lungs have a chance to recover, and when I get back to tennessee, I am no longer bothered.

Not saying that it has to be orlando...but a temporary change of location might help.

I empathise with you chaz...sometimes a ride in the car with the windows down helps too.

Asthma sucks...especially when you are pregnant...even when I manage to sleep, I dream about not being able to breath....Get yourself a doctor who understands ...please, there is help to be had.

Yes, this baby is due in early Feb '05 (after this one, one of us is having a little operation!).

We don't have an air purifier. We use a humidifier in the winter when things start getting really dry because of the heat running. I do try to keep a clean house - vacuume frequently, etc.

Believe it or not, I had to get "religious" about it because I had an asthmatic cat. He died because of asthma (twisted lung lobe) - about the same time I was diagnosed with asthma, but had had it for quite some time - I just finally went to a doctor about it because I finally had insurance. This all happened about the same time there was the forest fires in Canada - we got a lot of the smoke/debris in the air in the area of NH that I live in - it messed a lot of people up pretty badly.

I was on Advair 250/50 (2x day), Pulmacourt (1x), and a rescue inhaler (prn). I'm usually on Prednisone when I get a cold. I was told I couldn't have any of it - just the rescue inhaler - by my OB. Big mistake on his part.

I took the day off work yesterday so I could see a respiratory therapist that I was referred to by my OB. The OB's office really dropped the ball with my referral and told me to "just go to the emergency room" after I'd waited for four frikkin' hours for an appointment with a therapist just so I could have a neb treatment - NOT COOL! (Of course I had my 3 year old son with me, which made it stressful - and stress made the asthma/cold/allergy - not breathing thing - much worse.) My OB finally looked up the meds I was on when I had a total meltdown and decided I needed to be on them - duh!

I'm going to pursue this through my PCP to get in with a pulmonologist - my OB office has proven they can't handle anyone who doesn't have a textbook pregnancy - which includes me.

Jar1122 - I'll be with a high risk OB starting in December - the 3rd. trimester. The closest high-risk OB is almost 2 hours away, which is why I've been going to this other quack. My first baby was early with no warning and I had respiratory problems when I was in labor. After what I've been through with this brain-dead OB office, I'd have changed doctors anyways.

Ah, the fun of it all....

I was always more sensative with asthma during my pregnancies.

It sounds like there was something environmental that impacted your health, I am sorry, damn.

I am glad that you are seeking help from a more knowledgable source.

I am sorry for your troubles, maybe these folks can put you on the right track.

Chas,

My son has asthma. Autumn can be the worst time of the year in the northeast for Asthma, when the leaves start falling and piling up on the ground. A few years ago my son ended up in the hospital about the same time in October, two years in a row.

But this year, so far so good. Justin's on a couple different medicines - Flonase and Pulmulcort, as well as having on hand Albuterol inhaler when needed. We also have a Nebulizer machine (for liquid Albuterol) if his breath readings get into the yellow zone. It might be worth your while asking your doctor about picking up a Nebulizer, as well as about Flonase, which is for a nasal spray geared toward building up a resistance to any allergies.

Funky brought up a good point about mold and fungus - boxes of old books, even if packed away in closets, can be notorious.

I haven't bothered to take the air conditioner out of my son's window yet. As soon as October is done.

I oft wonder if we should just move to New Mexico or Arizona...

Danny

Charles

I am a respiratory therapist. I am glad you will be seeing the high risk OB, My Pulmonogist just about had a cow when he found out I was pregnent with number 3, so did the regular OB, the high risk doc was a lot calmer than the other 2 and totally agreed with the pulmonogist on using the high dose inhaled steroids. The statistics on pregnency and asthma are that 25% get worse with pregnency and 25% get better with pregnency. I was one the people that fell into the 50% that had no change. I hope that the your OB has told you to get back on your maintainence drugs, you might want to consider talking someone into perscribing the 500/50 Advair for the duration maybe with higher dose of the steroid component (the 500/250/100 part of the label on the Advair)you can avoid the prednisone. I hope you feel better soon there is nothing more miserable than sitting in the recliner in the middle of the night trying to stop coughing and breathe!

quote:
I oft wonder if we should just move to New Mexico or Arizona...

quote:
I hear that Arizona is good for folks with breathing troubles......

I never had breathing problems ever until I moved to Arizona this year. I haven't been diagnosed with asthma yet, but all the symtoms point toward it. The stupid doctors just prescribe their pat answers and send you on your way. I am still looking for a decent doctor. I can't breathe a lot of times and hack and cough the rest of the time. I've been to the doctor umpteen times and to urgent care and the emergency room in the past month.

I've been told that Arizona is not a good area for asthmatics. The air in northwestern Arizona is dry and dusty. The crap flying around in the air is horrible.

My aunt was an asthmatic and moved to Arizona about 25 years ago, and she had to leave because it made it worse.

My sister moved to Arizona about 15 years ago and had to leave within 6 months because of developing asthma. She had never had breathing problems before moving. She was told she was allergic to the Arizona desert. She had many nights in the hospital.

I sympathize with those who have troubles breathing. I always took breathing for granted until this month.

quote:
Originally posted by Wayfer Not!:

I've been told that Arizona is not a good area for asthmatics. The air in northwestern Arizona is dry and dusty. The crap flying around in the air is horrible.

Thank you so much Wayfer Not for bringing this up! Your experiences are the second I've encountered so far against the seemingly common assumption that the area of Arizona/New Mexico is better for asthmatics.

I'm so sorry to hear about what you're going through -I pray you find a good doctor and some much-needed relief soon!

Danny

I spent a bit over 2 years in the mountains of South-central/east New Mexico. That was the easiest breathing I'd had in years once I got used to the altitude.

Mold is my worst enemy, so I suspect the dryness was my saving grace. I guess it's a matter of what bothers you personnally/

I've checked with some respiratory therapists who I work with and they have told me that a lot of the advise that was given to patients years ago to move to a "dryer" state has been found to be not the best advise after all. Part of the reason is because the air pollution coming in from other countries makes it so the lack of pollen or other asthma triggers are the least of the patient's worries.

Maybe we should live on the moon... (HA!)