GreaseSpot Cafe

Wacky Warning Labels

Pirate1974

A group called Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch sponsors a contest each year, asking people to send in real wacky warning labels from actual products. They give out prizes for the best ones.

Here are this years winners:

Fifth Place - Label on a 9" x 3" plastic bag filled with air used as packing material (sent in by Christen Millard of Westerville, Ohio)

“DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT AS A TOY, PILLOW OR FLOTATION DEVICE."

It could be a flotation device for your hamster.

Fourth Place - Label on an electric hand blender, promoted for use in "blending, whipping, chopping and dicing" (sent in by Ken Stein of Berkeley, California)

"NEVER REMOVE FOOD OR OTHER ITEMS FROM THE BLADES WHILE THE PRODUCT IS OPERATING."

That has to be a special label put on there for the Berkeley, California market only.

Third Place - Warning on a digital thermometer that can be used several different ways (sent in by Ann Marie Taylor of Camden, South Carolina)

"ONCE USED RECTALLY, THE THERMOMETER SHOULD NOT BE USED ORALLY."

Yikes!! There are people out there that need to be told this?

Second Place - Label on a popular scooter for children (sent in by Matt Johnson of Naperville, Illinois)

"THIS PRODUCT MOVES WHEN USED"

Well, you would certainly expect it to do that, I think.

First Place - Label on a toilet brush (sent in by Ed Gyetvai of Oldcastle, Ontario)

"DO NOT USE FOR PERSONAL HYGIENE"

Do they think people might try to use it to brush their teeth?

Speaking of which...

I added one line to the following story.

Please note, I only added ONE LINE.

quote:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Watching contestants eat dead rats on NBC's gross-out stunt show "Fear Factor" so disgusted a Cleveland man that he has sued NBC for $2.5 million, saying he could not stomach what he saw.

In a handwritten four-page lawsuit filed in federal court in Cleveland on Tuesday, paralegal Austin Aitken said, "To have the individuals on the show eat (yes) and drink dead rats was crazy and from a viewer's point of view made me throw-up as well an another in the house at the same time."

His suit added, "NBC is sending the wrong message to its TV watchers that cash can make or have people do just about anything beyond reasoning (sic) and in most cases against their will."

He said the show caused his blood pressure to rise so high that he became dizzy and light-headed, and when he ran away to his room, he bumped his head into the doorway. The show so traumatized him that he was incapable of switching channels, the lawsuit states.

In a brief telephone interview with Reuters, Aitken said, "I am not at liberty to discuss the complaint unless it is a paid-interview situation."

A spokesman for "Fear Factor" said the show would have no comment until it sees a copy of the complaint. The spokesman said the program did feature an rat-eating scene in New York's Times Square on Nov. 8.

Over the years, contestants on the program have eaten some weird things, including ground-up spiders and live worms.

I saw a big, trailer-mounted tree shredder that the utilities use when they trim trees out of the power lines. The thing looked brand new and was totally plastered with warning stickers.

The one I liked best was "It it the owner's responsiblity to replace any damaged or missing warning stickers"

quote:
The one I liked best was "It it the owner's responsiblity to replace any damaged or missing warning stickers"

A friend of mine (a guitar picker), has a sticker on his guitar case, that he swiped from a dumpster somewhere.

It says: DO NOT PLAY ON, OR AROUND

A bunch of us told him it was more appropriate on his guitar case, than on the dumpster! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

you can guess from the handle, what I do for a living. We do have access to spray paints for flowers (i hate them true tackiness) But a few years back , they had warning labels on them that where practically instructions for huffing paint- do not use in enclosed area, do not spray in high concentrations in any small -receptical (sp?) blah blah blah...It's off the labels now. There is a product that I stopped using in the shop after watching someone spray it all over their hands (warning: this product is not to be in contact with any fatty tissue as it will cause damage to fatty tissue, break down epidermis, cause rashes, skin infection, and on and on with horrors...) This was being used by the employees to take pine sap off their hands. They had read the label, and then I had read the label to them. They used it as hand cleaner anyway. Most of them have left my employ now....

A selection of other winners from past years:

Warning on a brass fishing lure with a three-pronged hook on the end:

HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED

I guess it would be, especially if you happen to be a fish. Good thing fish can't read.

Warning on a hand-held massager:

DO NOT USE WHILE SLEEPING OR UNCONSCIOUS

But I like a nice, relaxing massage when I'm unconscious

Warning on a can of pepper spray:

MAY IRRITATE EYES

"May" irritate eyes? If I'm going to use this stuff, I want to be darn sure that it irritates eyes.

Label on a dishwasher:

DO NOT ALLOW CHILDREN TO PLAY IN THE DISHWASHER

But it gets them so nice and clean

Label on a baby stroller:

REMOVE CHILD BEFORE FOLDING

icon_eek.gif

Warning on an electric drill made for carpenters:

THIS PRODUCT NOT INTENDED FOR USE AS A DENTAL DRILL

I never would have thought of using my Black & Decker reversible drill for a little do-it-yourself dentistry

Warning on a box of birthday cake candles:

DO NOT USE SOFT WAX AS EARPLUGS OR FOR ANY OTHER FUNCTION THAT INVOLVES INSERTION INTO A BODY CAVITY

I don't even want to know why this warning is considered necessary.

Warning on a manufactured fireplace log:

CAUTION - RISK OF FIRE

You would certainly hope so. It ain't much good otherwise.

My personal favorite:

Warning on a massage chair:

DO NOT USE MASSAGE CHAIR WITHOUT CLOTHING

NEVER FORCE ANY BODY PART INTO THE BACKREST AREA WHILE THE ROLLERS ARE MOVING

Ouch!!!

In one job I had, we used to work and sleep in areas that had these stupid signs everywhere. They were yellow and purple

radmagen.jpg

The wording on the signs included:

'no loitering, no eating, no drinking, no smoking, no berthing; within 20 feet on this bulkhead.'

We had these stupid signs on the walls of our bunkrooms [we would commonly hang posters over the signs].

:=)