GreaseSpot Cafe

Why not change the channel?

Shellon

You either added the line about not being able to change the channel,or the one about the guy only doing paid interviews...

I wouldn't worry about the lawsuit,though...It says it was a handwritten lawsuit and the guy was a paralegal...Which means he's probably an unemployed paralegal if he couldn't get it typed....It also seems like he couldn't find a real lawyer to file the case for him....

I saw one story where this guy claimed he couldn't change the channel fast enough when the rat-eating part came on. Right. He just spent 27 months in prison and seeing people eating rats is going to make him sick? Hmmm.

Sounds like the ultimate frivolous lawsuit. Its pretty hard to believe you could watch television at all and not have a good idea of what "Fear Factor" is all about. NBC runs promotions for it about every 10 minutes.

"Let's say you're flipping through your 8,479 cable channels and you come across a program called "Eat Bugs For Money," wherein they bring out a large live insect, and the contestants secretly write down the minimum amount of money they would have to be given to eat it, and whichever one has the lowest bid has to actually do it. Admit it: YOU would watch this program. In fact, right now you're saying to yourself, "Hey, I wonder what channel that's on." Unfortunately, at present it's still in the conceptual stage. It's based on an idea from my editor, Gene Weingarten, who has publicly stated that he would eat a live adult South Florida cockroach (average weight: 11 pounds) for $20,000." - Dave Barry, The Miami Herald, 1991.

Not exactly the premise of "Fear Factor" but pretty darn close. Dave should be the one suing NBC for stealing his idea.