GreaseSpot Cafe

The "Waterless Springs" of 2 Peter 2 -- Hey, I know them!

Juan Cruz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Peter 2:10 and who despise authority.

What authority do TWI leaders recognize other than themselves? Who has oversight over them?

Do they recognize the authority of:

-The Association of Evangelicals, and their code of ethics? Here is something they could do today - if they had the least bit of shepherding concern for their sheep - but they don’t

-an independent Board with power and authority and oversight performing reviews regularly as most churches do for the protection of their members?

-each other? -- clergy colleagues commonly perform oversight of each other.

-membership? - is anything is democratic? - are the givers of the money represented among those who spend it?(!) This neat trick started the American revolution.

Is anyone voted into positions of authority and power - even (especially) over money?

-tradition and their sources? They like to think and teach everything came from them. Thus the authority of attribution (copyright?, law?) is ignored.

-common decency and honesty? - when someone crosses their nefarious ways, they spread vicious lies about that person.

-God? For thousands of years Jews and Christians have publicly glorified God and God's sovereignty over them, when they gather... but TWI threw that all out. To worship and give public glorification to God apparently would draw away from the glory due to the Word (and its teachers).

However, they are very religious:

(they worship themselves).

This all started with Vic who despised all authority but his own -that authority he reveled in and had hissy fits when challenged or crossed.

What happens to anyone in TWI who questions authority?

2 Peter 2:10 describes TWI's teachers and prophets - they despise authority...

how can they receive the fruits of the spirit much less share them?

Juan- you and every one else know the answer to that. It was their ball, their court and their game. It was their Way or the highway, and Katy bar the door. Since they were the only ministry with God’s rightly divided word all other ministries were counterfeit at best. Therefore LCM and VPW were only responsible to God.

Let me share a story about belivers who questioned doctrine and what happened. There was a wonderful couple that lived north of Atlanta, they were not Corps, but they had run a twig for years when I arrived in 1986. The husband had a very successful window washing business he had several believers working for him. When Corps would move into the area, he would offer them a job, train them if necessary and give them enough of his existing customers to start them out if they wanted this. The couple paid off their home early and this was in the early 90’s before the get out of debt pushes. They were regularly and justifiable held up as examples of what great believers could and should be (often to their embarrassment).

I was the assistant TC for their branch coordinator. I used to see them regularly at TC meetings. Then I didn’t, Then I just saw the husband then I didn’t see him. When I asked the Limb Coordinator what was wrong I was told that the wife had been teaching their employees that taxes and business expenses should be deducted from their income before they calculated their earnings (increase) and abundantly shared on that. The ministry position at that time was God first (abs before deducting taxes and business expenses). She would not back down. I hope it did not destroy their marriage.

A couple of years later there was a big deal made that the BOT had gone to the Word to figure out how to ABS, they decided to go change to calculating ABS after taxes just as the now banished couple had been teaching.

I’m sure there are lots of other examples out there.

AUTHORITY:

What organization with more than 10 members and a sizable budget does not have by-laws for all to read?

Kids with a tree-house club know enough to make rules -- "no girls allowed" etc..

Otherwise anarchy.

"Let all things be done decently and in order."

unless you despise authority

ckeer,

Thanks for your story.

Unfortunately, similar records of abusive stupidity are all too common -- if 10% of what we read here at GS is true.

Of course, we know, anything that finally drives a believer out of TWI and into God's good sunlight is actually good, not evil -- still, it pains one to hear of good people treated badly.

It's anarchy, I tell you -- your children are unsafe, and you are responsible - especially now that you've been told.

Don't worry about God's faithfulness. God's never failed yet - there's plenty of good light from God's Word rightly divided outside TWI -- believe me.

Is there any believer here, who's been out a year or two, and feels God-forsaken because they left TWI?

Speaking for myself, I experienced some confusion, sure. But within a short time, I realized how exciting it was to learn NEW things (imagine) about God, God's Word, and God's world. Especially profitable to me was an opening up to fellow Christians outside TWI - this was key to my release from my TWI’s prisons of the unrenewed mind.