GreaseSpot Cafe

Playing Fort

Jim

Reading Skyrider's post "Kiss your Money Good-bye" reminds me of an expression coined by a good friend of mine:

Playing Fort.

That's when you get an hardware engineer and a programmer and a salesman together on their off-hours and they come up with a new product idea They work on it amongst themselves, plan how they will produce and market it and how they will divide up the profits. No money to speak off is spent and since nobody is getting paid, there's no way to enforce any discipline to get the work done

Most of the time the product never gets beyond the "playing fort" stage.

Do you get the feeling that TWI is just "playing fort"? Admittedly, they do spend money, but without any apparent accountability. There's no outreach, no research, just the lame website with the lame music downloads.

Not to insult anybody....

But isn't it clear that TWI only exists now as a cash cow to the "leadership" and those who get whatever little piece of the "abundant sharing" pie?

Gone are the beautiful Limb Homes in every state. The airplanes, campus locales, 800 member staff, thousands of Corps as core leadership, gone. I'm not wastin' my time to itemize all that is gone. Fact remains. What's gone, aint there no more.

Gone is even the lofty, altruistic "Word Over the World" goal, changed to having whateveer they have left to "Prevail."

"Prevail." More like hold onto what stuff we have left.

Reminds me of Stevie Wonder's song lyrics,

"Livin' just enough, just enough... for the Ci-tay."

Rosalie knows. She knows precisely what she is and is not doing. She knows all they are doing is "living just enough for the city." As long as they have enough followers to pay the bills & line their pockets so they can keep playing. They will play.

At least in the old days.... Even if some thinks all TWI ever was building was a mind control cult. At least we actully built something.

Prevail............ what a freak-in' copout. makes a person wanna spew. Hurl. Toss cookies. Throw yer lunch. got any more???????????

HCW, I think you'll find your observations and opinion are of the majority on here. The only ones living a nice lifestyle are those in the upper eschelon who have all the secrets in those sepulchres they guard. The rest are living at near poverty levels to support their lifestyles.

coolchef, yes they still have Gunnison and they graduated a whopping 5 new corps last year from there.

O'Tay!

There was a time in TWI history, however, when all of the material resources of the ministry were available to "any believer."

EG:

TWI's Transportation Dept. at its height included two aircraft (one capable of International flight) four custom motorcoaches, about 80 to 100 cars, a couple limos, etc.

We could rent any vehicle that was not in use for ministry business for personal use and pay for the gas, which we got at a reduced cost from the gaspumps @ HQ. It was as simple as signing a book out from the library. If you wrecked it TWI insurance covered your injuries and you'd just have to pay the ministry's deductable to have it fixed. There may have been a 10 cent per mile charge over a certain number of miles, if memory serves....

I once rented a really cool blacked out Checker Cab limo, split the gas cost w/ a Mark F. (ex TWI safety dept) to go on a double date w/ a couple of single staff hotties, to a drive-in movie. It was a fun, inexpensive date.

The airplanes, even Ambassador One, and the Way Productions motorcoach were available for our use too. We could call Transportation & get the skinny on scheduled trips and rent them under the same principle. If one of the pilots or licenced coach drivers were available and willing you could rent the vehicle for the cost of fuel. It was also considerate to compensate the pilot or driver for your trip.

I remember Eric K., an avid skier on staff, put together a skiing trip vacation in Crested Butte, Colorado. The plan was to fly in Ambassador One to Colorado & have Camp Gunnison staff pick us up from the airport. We were to stay in some of the empty rooms/ cabins or dorm rooms w/ extra bunks at Camp Gunnison. Then we'd rent available vehicles from CG and make the 20 minute drive to some of the best skiing in the US.

It was gonna cost somewhere around $300. (again as memory serves) per person for transportation, lodging and meals to fly roundtrip in a private corporate jet from Ohio to Colorado for a few days of skiing. Lift tickets and equipment rental were extra. He scheduled the vaction when A1 was scheduled to fly, I think, to Texas, for scheduled maintenance.

You could also hitchhike a ride on the planes or coach for their regularly scheduled trips if there was a seat available. People came in off the field occasionally and flew all over the place. I rode on the coach once to go to St. Louis to pick up a Datsun 280Z I was buying from a Corps brother. They were on their way to Emporia, I hopped out in StL.

Speaking of Camp Gunnison. It would be my guess that they're hanging on to it for all their worth because it is really the most "valuable,"

if not monitarily - in terms of "wantability."

(Hey. If TWI can make up words & terms, so can I! anim-smile.gif)

Gunnison is much more wantable, IMHO, than anything else TWI owns. Were it me, I'd give up HQ before Gunnison.

Who wants a farm?

quote:
*Legally*, Gunnison is owned by loyboy, rozilla rivenfart, and a third person, I forget who.

But it is in the current possession of TWIt

If that is true (not to accuse you of not having the facts, Steve icon_smile.gif:)--> ) that HAS to be somewhat illegal. Some kind of, I can't think of the word right off hand... stealing. Oh yeah. A type of embezzlement. I know they probably crossed all their T's and dotted their legal I's about it. But. Somone oughta look into some sort of class action suit.

quote:
The airplanes, even Ambassador One, and the Way Productions motorcoach were available for our use too. We could call Transportation & get the skinny on scheduled trips and rent them under the same principle. If one of the pilots or licenced coach drivers were available and willing you could rent the vehicle for the cost of fuel. It was also considerate to compensate the pilot or driver for your trip.

I believe that at one time, the pilots at TWI even did a flight school for staff that were interested in learning to fly. The good old days.

quote:
quote:*Legally*, Gunnison is owned by loyboy, rozilla rivenfart, and a third person, I forget who.

If that is true (not to accuse you of not having the facts, Steve Smile ) that HAS to be somewhat illegal. Some kind of, I can't think of the word right off hand... stealing. Oh yeah. A type of embezzlement. I know they probably crossed all their T's and dotted their legal I's about it. But. Somone oughta look into some sort of class action suit.

The usual "I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advise" disclaimer.

The assets of TWI are owned by the corporation, not by the directors. The IRS puts fairly detailed limitations on how the assets can be bought and sold. If the BOD should wish to disband TWI, they would have to give the assets to a "like" non-profit group. So it's a lot more fun to just "play fort".

I had forgotten about the flight school thing, Jim. Same with most of this other stuff.

Thanks.

That's why I was so incensed, Jim... cause if the BOD had found some way around the IRS to have assets of the corporation become theirs personally. I'm figuring it must be illegal.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer either.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim:

quote:
quote:*Legally*, Gunnison is owned by loyboy, rozilla rivenfart, and a third person, I forget who.

If that is true (not to accuse you of not having the facts, Steve Smile ) that HAS to be somewhat illegal. Some kind of, I can't think of the word right off hand... stealing. Oh yeah. A type of embezzlement. I know they probably crossed all their T's and dotted their legal I's about it. But. Somone oughta look into some sort of class action suit.

The usual "I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advise" disclaimer.

The assets of TWI are owned by the corporation, not by the directors. The IRS puts fairly detailed limitations on how the assets can be bought and sold. If the BOD should wish to disband TWI, they would have to give the assets to a "like" non-profit group. So it's a lot more fun to just "play fort".

Again, this particular asset is NOT LEGALLY ASSOCIATED with the Way Irrational.

The deed has the names of the then boring trustees on it - loyboy, rozilla, and I think harvey the rabbit. Again, PJ Roberge would know for sure, I think he's got the doc posted on one of his websites.

HCW, that does sound like a grand ole time you had back in the day. It wasn't anything like that when I got involved. In fact, I had heard that you could vacation at Gunnison, but when I looked into it, I found out it wasn't "available" anymore. icon_frown.gif:(-->

There weren't any perks of any kind for us...unless you count the priviledge of helping wc pack and move, serving on the class crew, coordinating outreach activities and bringing goodies to fellowship.