GreaseSpot Cafe

Nostalgia (temporary digs)

ChattyKathy

On further reflection, I don't think he even said 'a fine mess', tho I'm certain he used 'fine', as in 'this is a fine state of affairs' or something like that.

By the way, I'm a member of the 'Sons of the desert' , the laurel and hardy appreciation society that was formed by Stan and author john McCabe before Stan died. Stan's vision was to have people meet with 'mock seriousness', and enjoy their films as well as others.

The groups meet in many cities and are called 'tents', each tent being named after one of their films. I belong to the 'Way out West' tent in Los Angeles, which meets about 5 times a year , always with an excellent program of films, centered on Laurel and Hardy but also other Hal Roach films.

Being in Los Angeles, one never knows who will show up, and recently Tommy Bond, 'Butch' from Our Gang (Little Rascals), was there.

it's fun and some of the members are more than a little eccentric, but I'm glad to support a group keeping Laurel and Hardy alive.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is neither here nor there, but all the talk of Laurel and Hardy reminded me of it.

When I was a young lad, maybe 4 or 5, I saw a L&H film short where in the end Stan and Ollie were sitting on a couch with their legs tied around their necks (the culmination of an oft repeated threat of the villain of the show). The look of them and the very thought of it freaked me out so much, I've never really liked them since.

Funny how a kid's mind works (at least mine)...

I can relate to that george, and that was an aspect of some of their films that freaked me out as a kid. The one that weirded me out the most was the end of 'the Bohemian Girl'. They were being tortured in a dingeon, where Stan was stretched on a rack, and Ollie was put in a kind of 'orange crusher'. When they were set free Stan was 8 ft tall and Ollie was squashed.

It wasn't until i was older and took a closer look at their films and studied their lives that I developed a deep appreciation for them. They were really gifted men who were were gracious and giving in their personal lives. When one looks past the slapstick and sometime 'dark' humor, their films reflect a love they had for life, and the bond between them is evident. They were very special as partners in a way that Abbott and Costello or Martin and Lewis for example never were, staying very close and devoted to each other their entire lives.

Hiway29,

I can understand Geo's perceptions and maybe it's a good thing I never got freaked out. But I feel similarly as you. My brother and I LOVED Laurel and Hardy as teenagers and young adults. I think Geo's problem is he never watched them when he was stoned. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

New theme.. click HERE!

sudo

(just jumping in...)

Oliver Hardy never said "That's another fine mess..." but he did say "Well, here's a another nice mess you've gotten me into."

Laurel and Hardy made a movie called "Another Fine Mess" in 1930 - that's where the above quote came from.

(courtesy of the Internet Movie Data Base )

... now back to your regularly scheduled nostalgia thread... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->