GreaseSpot Cafe

Off a new tangent

Hi all,

I got in some people's faces a couple weeks back and then disappeared.

I will apologize if I went too far.

Just for anyone who cares, I have busy at work and within my church.

I am pursuing some Reformed theology web sites, so that's another reason why my posts have stopped.

Everyone have a great Memorial Day, and if you can, thank a vet!

Def

• 2 weeks later...

Another update

I finished "Next Door Savior" by Max Lucado

Is anyone familiar with him. It was my first encounter with him.

Great book. He's pro-Trinity, but still a good read for anyone interested in Jesus.

Now I am on to "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel. He is an-atheist-turned-Christian, and a former journalist, a legal reporter for a Chicago paper. Now he writes books and works for Willow Creek Church outside of Chicago.

• 5 weeks later...

I am now reading "How God Saved Civilization" its a look at Western History and the church. It is a good book for those of us who have been taught (by Armstrong, Smith, Russell, VPW, Moon, Jones, et al.) that the church fell into apostasy soon after the apostles died and then reappeared 1900 years later.

Hey there ,def. If you enjoyed "Next Door Saviour" then I highly recommend "When Christ Comes" by Max. I would be interested in your response to it. Max Lucado is an excellent writer and speaks in terms that anyone can understand.

bluesunday

quote:
Originally posted by def59:

Another update

I finished "Next Door Savior" by Max Lucado

Is anyone familiar with him. It was my first encounter with him.

Great book. He's pro-Trinity, but still a good read for anyone interested in Jesus.

Now I am on to "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel. He is an-atheist-turned-Christian, and a former journalist, a legal reporter for a Chicago paper. Now he writes books and works for Willow Creek Church outside of Chicago.

def59,

Yes, I’m listening. I don’t read all threads by a long shot, but somehow I stumbled in here.

By one coincidence, ten years ago I regularly cleaned the home windows for the previous pastor of that same church, until he moved out of state.

By another coincidence, I am aware of (but only skimmed) a book that was very popular several years ago called “How the Irish Saved Civilization.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Two of the books I have most recently read, are Cat and Dog Theology, by Bob Sjogren and Gerald Robison and "Rumors of Another World" by Philip Yancey.

Both are good reads. The former deals with changing the focus of the Christians walk from "What has God done for me?" to "What have I done to bring glory to God?

The latter shows how our rational, reductionist world has gaps which point to another world beyond ours.

I recently enjoyed "Gospel" by William Barnhardt. It was a Christmas present from my Dad, who is a friend of the author. It's a historical novel about a lost gospel written by one of the Apostles. Excellent read, chock fulll of Church history.

JerryB