GreaseSpot Cafe

Does saying Jesus is NOT God demean him? by John Lynn

This is one of my favorite subjects!

:-)

This article is by John Lynn, JALCES@aol.com

Doesn't the teaching that Jesus is not God, but the Son of God, demean him and make him smaller in people's eyes?

Good question. The answer is: "No, it makes him bigger."

But let's think about it. First of all, the real issue is not who Jesus is not, but who he is. If I introduce myself to you by saying, "Hi, I'm not Elvis Presley," you are left with a major question: "Why is he not institutionalized?" No, the question is: "Who are you?" Knowing who someone is not doesn't tell you who he is, but knowing who he is tells you everyone he is not.

The Word of God makes it clear that Satan's primary goal is to blind people to the truth about JESUS CHRIST, because he is the only way to salvation, and because he is the perfect re-presentation of God's heart for mankind. 2 Corinthians 4:4 says just that: "The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

God is spirit, and Satan doesn't have to "blind" people to something that is invisible. But he does all he can to blind people to the glorious image of God, Jesus Christ. His chief goal is to stop people from believing in Jesus as Lord and being saved, and to that end he offers a wide variety of lies about Jesus, which millions of Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Mormons, Christian Scientists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Scientologists, New Age adherents, et al believe.

But Satan obviously cannot turn everyone away from the truth that Jesus is the Savior, and millions of other people do believe and are saved. That in no way dissuades the Enemy from his main goal: distorting as much of the truth about Jesus Christ as he possibly can. The Devil has succeeded in obscuring key truth about Jesus for most Christians by way of the spurious idea that Jesus is God in human flesh, a God-man who is 100% God and 100% man. At best, this is 200% puzzling.

At least, it negates one's genuine identification with Jesus as a man who had to trust God and live by faith, just as we are asked to do. Follow my logic now as we think about how both truth and error relate to one's quality of life, and consider what might be the practical consequences of thinking that Jesus is God in human flesh. If this doctrine is actually from the Enemy, what is his goal in trying to get people to believe it?

At this juncture, John 8:32 is a key verse: "And you shall know the truth, and the truth will make you free." Ever thought about the converse to that statement? Wouldn't it be that believing error puts one in bondage to some degree? Absolutely. Suppose you were locked in California, but no one told you that. You could go through your whole life without realizing any practical consequence of this restriction, providing that you never needed to leave California. But what if you got a phone call that your filthy rich aunt in Iowa just died and left you $8 billion, and all you had to do to claim it was go there and sign for it? And that via an eccentric stipulation in her will, if you didn't, you'd be hung? Bondage.

As opposed to being locked in California, what if you were locked in a two by two by six foot box? That bondage would be much more noticeable, right? The quality of your life would be much more obviously and painfully diminished.

Spiritually, it is important to note that the importance of the subject in question determines the degree of bondage for the one who is in the dark about it. If you think there were two sheep on Noah's ark (the Bible says 14), it will probably not wreck Thursday for you. But if you think that God sends sickness to purify you, and that He also determines the time of your death, you may not make it to Thursday.

If Jesus were God, what he did would not mean that much, because nothing is hard for God. Neither could he have been tempted in all ways as we are so that we can now relate to him and identify with him in that.

The truth is that Jesus was tempted far beyond what any of us will ever experience, because Satan threw everything he had at the Son of God, who was God's only hope for man's redemption. And Jesus responded by "entrusting himself to God" (1 Pet. 2:23), just as he now asks us to do. He really did live by faith, that is, by trusting the promises of His Father. Never did Jesus allow fear to cause him to sin by looking anywhere but God for what he needed. Never did he allow pride to dictate an ungodly response on his part. Never did self-pity distort his perspective of reality to the end that he became depressed under the burden of mankind's sins. If Jesus is God, we have no real example of faith.

By the way, the fact that Jesus (the Last Adam) had no sin nature is not why he did not sin. How do we know that? Because Adam #1 had no sin nature, and he sinned royally. Each had genuine free will, and Jesus did not sin because he chose not to. And when Scripture says that he was tempted in all ways as we are, it means that he felt the same internal pull toward lust, self-defense, self-pity, etc., as we do, but time after time he subjugated it and chose to respond in a godly way.

The idea of the Trinity muddies the waters in regard to many other critical biblical topics, but let us focus on the FAQ at hand. We believe that the doctrine that Jesus is God actually diminishes the magnitude of his heroism on our behalf. For God to do what Jesus did? Obviously it wouldn't have been hard for Him. And what would we expect God to do but be true to His nature and inherent perfection?

But for a human being to face knucklehead humanity as well as Satan's subtle ploys umpteen times a day for his whole life and never respond sinfully, and then to endure about 40 hours of indescribable torture (how much pent up demonic fury do you think was unleashed on Jesus from Monday night through Wednesday morning?) and then hang on the Cross for six hours of excruciating agony while still focusing on Scripture he had to fulfill--and forgiving those who were killing him?? THANK YOU!!! I love you for that!

Oh, by the way, he said that we human being believers, biblically called his "brothers" (same Father, you know — Heb. 2:11), can be and do like he was and did. Think about that, because it is that kind of identification with him that Satan does not want you to have.

If we become like Jesus, do you think we will stand out among other people? Well, did he? What was the testimony of those who encountered him? "We've never seen a guy like this." "We've never heard anyone speak like this." Especially in the Gospel of John, the word "glory" is often used in regard to Jesus, and the Greek word is interesting. Bullinger's Lexicon says it means "not the object itself, but the appearance of the object that attracts attention." Think about a bowl of apples. Take one and polish it for a minute. Put it back in the bowl. What might someone say when he sees the bowl? "Look at that apple!" Not because it is an apple (that's no big deal), but because of its appearance compared to the other apples.

Ditto for Jesus. "Look at that man!" Not because he was a man, that was commonplace. But because of how his way of being and his words and deeds stood out compared to those around him. Had he been God, that luster would be greatly diminished, but seeing the truth that he was, and is, the Son of God, The Man among men, we can say with awe, respect, and gratitude, WHAT A MAN!!! And we can be like him.

Taken from John Lynn's article posted on:

http://www.BiblicalUnitarian.com

Please feel free to contact John Lynn at: JALCES@aol.com

Or call him at 317-557-3776. He would love to hear from you!

May we honor Jesus in ALL we do and say. After all, he is the head of the church. That would be us!

Jeff

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff I don't know if JAL fully supports this but you might want to ask him. Perhaps he can clarify it I'd love to see a clear answer.

This is a document on their site: in reference to Jesus Christ

http://christianeducational.org/faq/v4i6b.pdf

I learned about it on this thread at LES

http://mail.bluzecentral.net/smf/index.php?topic=36.0

I agree that Jesus Christ was a man. However CES seems to be over thinking it a bit. It almost seems in their so eagerness to show their skill using the keys to the Bibles interpretation and feed people with itching ears something new (to keep up membership and donations?) that they have so thoroughly proved that Jesus was a man that they are like the aeronautical engineers who could prove on paper that it is impossible for a bee to fly.

Jesus asked The Father to glorify Him with the Glory He had before the world was. He saw Satan fall from Heaven, like lightening. He was in the form of God, before He was in the form of a man. He said, that he said ye are gods. He followed the children if Israel in a cloud by day, and fire by night. A body was prepared for Him, and he partook of the the flesh....

Come have dinner with me...you have to be alive to eat it right? Jesus may not Be The Father, but He is and Was God...There are two of them, not one and not three.

For further study on the subject you posted above, try these two links and see if they help.

http://christianeducational.org/articles/D..._Near_Part1.pdf

http://christianeducational.org/articles/D..._Near_Part2.pdf

If you have any problems with the content, please feel free to e-mail John Schoenheit.

jschoen777@aol.com

I know he would be very open to what you have to say!

Jeff

I have not yet bothered to read much of Schoenheit's piece to which Jeff linked, but scrolled through it, noticing the assertion "Anyone who studies the subject of the kingdom of God knows that it has not come yet" -- the opening sentence of the last paragraph of Part 1 and the second paragraph of Part 2.

Just prior to that assertion, Schoenheit had maintained that Jesus did not know enough truth to state the truth when he said "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom" (Matthew 16:28).

And before that, Schoenheit wrote:

"People who say that the teaching of Christ cannot refer to the Second Coming for the

simple reason that it is future are using circular reasoning. The assumption is that Jesus

cannot be mistaken for any reason, then using that assumption, an 'explanation' for what

he meant other than what the clear implication of his words are elsewhere in Scripture is

sought for."

In making his arguments, Schoenheit, of course, has his own implicit assumptions:

1. That Jesus was fallible.

2. That Jesus could speak falsely concerning future events.

3. That he, Schoenheit, can and does possess eschatological knowledge more accurately and comprehensively than Jesus did.

4. That he, Schoenheit, can and does have an interpretive insight sufficient to have obtained and now to communicate an eschatological view that requires dismissing some of Jesus' words as error.

5. That where it has been obvious that his, Schoenheit's, eschatological view is utterly inconsistent with statements of Jesus, it is Jesus who failed, rather than he, Schoenheit, who is deficient in understanding and/or a captive of Socinian Christology and wielder of its resultant impieties.

Although I do not embrace as an inerrant eschatological statement the pieces at the following URLs (I would characterize myself eschatologically as generally clueless rather than as an amillennialist), this stuff appears biblically well-grounded in its recognition that an eschatological in-breaking of the Kingdom of God was occurring in Christ's incarnation, death, resurrection and ascension, and that the Kingdom of God is now "Already" and "Not-Yet."

In what appears faithful to biblical indications, but which could incinerate the circuits of a Bullingerite's brain, these pieces maintain that there is an overlap of the present age and the age to come.

http://two-age.org/beliefs_index/two-age.htm

http://two-age.org/beliefs_index/eschatology.htm

Ok for the record

Jesus is called God in John 1:1, TWI's slick handling nothwithstanding.

pros- according to Vines, does simply indicate location, but an intimate relationship.

Jesus forgave sins, — who can forgive sins but God.

In the story, where Jesus came to the disciples walking on the water, the crucial phrase is I am, which rests at the middle of the quote when he says don't be afraid, I am, and the goes on.

Colossians - Paul says Jesus created everything

Son of God and Son of Man are titles of divinity.

Hebrews, God calls Jesus God.

John 17:5 talks about the glory Jesus had before

John 8:58 says Jesus was existant before Abraham.

Take a look at the I am statements in John's Gospel and see if Jesus was wrong.

Jesus sin? Get thee behind me Satan.

Cynic: While I generally disagree with you on religious matters, I'm afraid you might be right about Mr. Schoenheit. One of the problems with TWI was that they felt they constantly had to come up with "new research". While some things were sorely-needed clarifications (Jesus Christ Our Promised Seed) some were just ridiculous stretches indicative of too much research for iconoclastic novelty's sake (Athletes of the Spirit, pretty much anything by Martindale). Sometimes I think that Schoenheit has fallen into the same trap.

def59: Technically, no one is mentioned by name in John 1:1.

quote:
Originally posted by Cynic:

Although I do not embrace as an inerrant eschatological statement the pieces at the following URLs (I would characterize myself eschatologically as generally clueless rather than as an amillennialist), this stuff appears biblically well-grounded in its recognition that an eschatological in-breaking of the Kingdom of God was occurring in Christ's incarnation, death, resurrection and ascension, and that the Kingdom of God is now "Already" and "Not-Yet."

In what appears faithful to biblical indications, but which could incinerate the circuits of a Bullingerite's brain, these pieces maintain that there is an overlap of the present age and the age to come.

I am deeply concerned with the CES teaching on the fallibility of Jesus' words. Either he spoke the words given him by God or not. If he did not, he spoke presumptuously, a HUGE OT no-no that in and of itself disqualifies him as Messiah. If he did speak the words given him by God, then he was right and our understanding is wrong. I am "generally clueless" about what Jesus meant in those verses. I've been wondering about it. But I would sooner eat my Bible than print an article saying I'm right and Jesus was wrong.

And by the way, Cynic, thanks to your "generally clueless" line, my respect for you just quadrupled. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Re: the research department at TWI.

(with all apologies in advance to those of you that were "in" it)

Was any research work ever done because veepee came to you (the department) and said something like "it must be this way, I know it must, find me something to back it up"... anything like that ever happen?

Thanks for understanding a genuine question.

quote:
Originally posted by def59:

Ok for the record

Jesus is called God in John 1:1, TWI's slick handling nothwithstanding.

pros- according to Vines, does simply indicate location, but an intimate relationship.

Here is an awesome research paper on John 1:1

http://biblicalunitarian.com/html/modules....=article&sid=61

Jesus forgave sins, — who can forgive sins but God.

In the story, where Jesus came to the disciples walking on the water, the crucial phrase is I am, which rests at the middle of the quote when he says don't be afraid, I am, and the goes on.

Colossians - Paul says Jesus created everything

Son of God and Son of Man are titles of divinity.

Hebrews, God calls Jesus God.

This verse has nothing to do with Jesus being God. Check out this article and see why.

http://biblicalunitarian.com/html/modules....=article&sid=53

John 17:5 talks about the glory Jesus had before

http://biblicalunitarian.com/html/modules....howpage&pid=106

John 8:58 says Jesus was existant before Abraham.

Take a look at the I am statements in John's Gospel and see if Jesus was wrong.

You might want to read this article if you think saying "I AM" means Jesus was saying he was the One true God, His Father.

http://biblicalunitarian.com/html/modules....=article&sid=60

Jesus sin? Get thee behind me Satan.

For a biblical explaination of the above stuff, check out this link.

http://biblicalunitarian.com/html/modules....article&sid=109

And last but not least, here is a great article showing Jesus HAS a God.

http://www.biblicalunitarian.com/html/modu...=article&sid=28

icon_smile.gif:)-->

Hope this helps!

Jeff

May the God & Father OF our Lord Jesus bless you!

Hey, didn't Paul say something like that in the first few verses of Ephesians????

WOW...Jesus has a God & a Father????

Hmmmmmm.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

Zixar and TomOdd,

As I remember it, VPW was adamant about some Hebrew word in the O.T. He claimed it had to mean something other than what was it was translated as, otherwise "the whole WURD would fall to pieces", yada, yada,...

He said that the research boys couldn't find any usage or definition that backed up his take on the word. He then got real animated and said, "Well it's GOT to be there, so keep looking! That's why they call it RESEARCH!"

To which I could only think "HUH?"

I remember having SERIOUS reservations about WayWorld after that. It still took years for me to finally shake off the notion of TWI being "God's Ministry" or other such twaddle.

And just sos I don't get accused of derailing,

The dictionary definition of "demean" (Funk and Wagnell's Collegiate Dictionary - 1968) has "To lower in dignity or reputation".

Please tell me how demoting someone from the job of "creator of all the known universe" to that of errand boy, doesn't demean him?

What, because he had to work really hard, it doesn't matter what his station in life is? It's not "demeaning" to go from "Ultimate, Omnipotent Holy Thunderer", to that of "perfect MAN"?

I guess the #1 rule of TWI still applies? That is "Things mean what we say they mean (dammit!)"

Aw come on, fair is fair.

What CES is trying to say is that it's not "demeaning" to be acknowledged for what you are. Rather, it improperly promotes Jesus to make him God the creator.

Of course, if you believe Jesus Christ is God, then such an opinion is inherently demeaning. But CES doesn't hold that belief.

Does saying Prince Charles is not the King of England demean him?

Does saying Mickey Rooney is not tall demean him?

Does saying Patrick Stewart is not Captain Kirk demean him?

If Jesus Christ is God, then saying he's not God demeans him.

If he's not, then saying he's not doesn't demean him.

Edited by Raf

O.K., so JL is trying to establish a point by making a statement that could only be considered true if you accept the point he's trying to establish?

Oh, my head! Now I'm thoroughly (throughly?) confused.

Of course, if Jesus is just another myth among the many, it's makes it all a rather pointless.

How did I end up in this conversation anyway?

feh...

quote:
O.K., so JL is trying to establish a point by making a statement that could only be considered true if you accept the point he's trying to establish?

I was going to say it's something of a loaded question, but I didn't want to criticize the question.

Understand the target audience: someone who believes changing his mind about Jesus would demean Jesus. I would have phrased the question as such:

Does changing your mind about the nature of Jesus demean him in your eyes?

Re: "It makes him bigger..." I think their point is that it's not hard to imagine God living without sinning. It is harder to imagine a man resisting temptation his whole life. To think that someone was able to do that is pretty big, bigger than thinking that God can resist temptation.

"God, who is incapable of being tempted, resisted temptation his whole life." No duh.

"Christ, who was capable of sin, resisted temptation his whole life." Big.

That's my read on this stuff.

I guess I see it a little more sinister than that. (Hey, I'm an agnostic, I'm not required to think no evil - just another of the perks of giving up my religious propensities)

To me the whole argument is formed into cutesy bite-sized nibblets. "One-liners" that are supposed to convey some larger truth, but in actuality overlook the convoluted, difficult aspects of a philosophy in order to keep their "troops" satisfied.

No need to think, just accept what the learned MOG has said. More than a little reminiscent of the ministry that spawned this one.

I'm sorry, the whole line of reasoning smacks of WaySpeak, and gives me the creeps.

(and I'd certainly follow Cynic's admonition with regards to poker or any other noteworthy endeavor)