GreaseSpot Cafe

BODY/MIND

Cynic,

"I prefer a "teeny tiny heart" Ya know, I bet in your own unique way your heart is as big as anyone elses is in their own unique way. I apologize for the insult, because it was the mental image (which could have been of anyone) in connection with Sirs statement which struck me so funny as I was drinking that first cup of coffee.

" openly accosting its various particular and general classes of opponents "

Who are your opponents? Why are they your opponents?

Vert,

"Love your enemies...."

A very wise statement. What does it mean to love thy enemy? And can we love them, or anyone, if we don't first love ourselves? Can we know what it means? Can we see ourselves in them or them in us?

Cynicism tends to be viewed almost entirely negative in our society. Personally, even with the current perception of cynicism, given the present state of affairs in this country, I'm under the impression that there hasn't been enough of it.

Perhaps it is not widely known that Jesus Himself is also regarded something of a "cynic sage".

From http://www.i-cynic.com/fame.asp

quote:

Jesus of Nazareth (c. 5 B.C.-c. 30 A.D.) What can you say about a wandering Jewish teacher who loathed materialism, ranted about hypocrisy and castigated the smug religious establishment of his day? That he was the Son of God and the savior of mankind? Perhaps. (We won't know for sure until we meet him.) That he was a cynic of the noblest order? Just as likely, I think. I've hesitated to dub Jesus a cynic because of the holy trappings that have embellished his name down through the centuries. And yes, he told us to love our enemies and counseled us to "judge not." But let's never forget that the immortal Galilean personified the true cynic's eternal opposition to cruelty, privilege and humbug. He cared little for worldly institutions; instead, he advocated a revolution in the human heart.

Favorite quote:

"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?"

Cynic, if its by way of slimy ole Beelzebub that guys like VL and Roy have gained from what I've shared, by what holy angels do you use to contribute nothing on this thread but your personal scorn? Are you even interested in healing or wholeness of mind and body? Because all you've written here seems nothing but a painful and angry response to such discussions. Off topic and rude (but kinda cute...kinda). I'm still kinda glad you posted. icon_smile.gif:)-->

---

Danny, I actually kinda agree with you, kinda. I think it is cynicism and skepticism alone that causes a void. For what good is cynicism without love?

Jesus did not loathe, and he did not rant (except from a cynical point of view, of course icon_wink.gif;)-->. And he cared as much for wordly institutions as he did a sick bird on a limb. He taught how to be liberated from them without destroying them (though they may destroy themselves for a time).

Should one curse the wonderful live-giving placenta for eventually becoming a useless and bloody mess? The strictly-cynical mind probably can't help itself.

This is what I mean. Cynicism alone can't distinguish between what it sees. Its not in its nature to do so. It is a tool with one good purpose, but it is not The tool of tools. It doubts and questions all things equally, without measure. Keeps us on our toes as cold hard winter sets in. But unrestrained as our king, it kills our spirit.

But integration of our cynicism makes it part of the whole soma of us.

If we identify with our gall bladder in spite of all else, will we make better use of heart?

Like the body/mind - when all parts of mind and all part of body integrate as one in our awareness. The only new thing is our point of view, which is not really a thing at all.

Besides, can't a man can keep his soul and still inherit the earth?

icon_wink.gif;)-->

It is also interesting that Jesus could also be considered a “new age sage”.

He spoke of himself as a son of God, that the law could be fulfilled and surpassed by love, a baptism of fire and the Holy Spirit.

A cynic could describe these as mystical upchuckings of a preening newager who thought he was a superior soul who has passed to a higher state of being. Although he did not make an explicit statement to have attained a transcending state of being, existence and/or consciousness, a cynic could say he pontificated as if some such thing can be actualized and that Jesus could have significant knowledge of it.

Interestingly enough while Jesus had not achieved this transcendental state when he spoke of these things he did soon after. I think his resurrection with his new body and eternal life more than qualifies. He then went on to teach his disciples to breathe in to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit and charged them to teach others also so all who wished could follow.

Sounds like new age in a nutshell to me.

You see? To cynicism alone, mere chance of error usually equals error.

Possibility becomes a mostly nihilist expectation.

ok.

Cynic,

I'm curious

(but getting kinda bored, so you might actually "win" something if you keep it upicon_eek.gif) icon_wink.gif;)-->

And you can ask me anything though. Honestly.

But in all fairness, please answer me, too.

Its not that hard.

Are you even interested in discussing healing?

Do you believe in divine love? Can it be practiced?

Are these things even possible, right here, right now?

And if not possible for you, might they be possible for other people (who are not already dead)?

?

"a quip directed against" is the only real purpose you've expressed here, thus far,

regardless of what any of us claim to know or believe.

How long can you keep it up?

btw - I'm not offended, yer just being rude, more than anything.

I wish you well.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

aint anti-torture grande? icon_wink.gif;)-->

mwah

Edited by sirguessalot

Cynic- I realize I am probably not as intelligent or as well educated in you. Perhaps this is why I am baffled by your post.

quote:
One could equally dismiss two persons who claim to own several pairs of brown shoes. One would not necessarily be correct in doing so.

http://cloud.prohosting.com/ttatwavs/Barney/8qts.wav

Do you feel that I am dismissing you? Or that I am dismissing your comments?

Or Sirguessalot?

I was trying to point out in my last post that it could be argued that Jesus Christ was a new age guru just as well as he could argued to be a cynic sage. To me this means both positions are valid and yet they appear to be antagonistic. I enjoy such apparent contradictions.

As to your comments about Sirguess, I can understand why you said them because his posts could be interpreted to have that connotation. To me he views and tries to describe universal truths in a different and unique way that is once again valid but appears antagonistic to what we have been taught in twi. He makes me think as you do, and I enjoy and need the exercise.

Finally cynic I wonder if you are actually psychic- I recently bought three pairs of brown shoes and I love pickles – were you actually telling me I was dismissed?