GreaseSpot Cafe

Slowness on Logins and Searches

Nottawayfer

I have DSL, and most of my internet usage is quite fast. But when I log in to certain sites (i.e., GS Cafe) or do searches (i.e., google), I get locked up for a short time. When I type in directions in to yahoo maps, forget it. It goes much slower.

Anybody have any ideas what's causing this?

Ok, have talked to everyone that I know to talk to about my computer problems and it's been determined by the powers that be that I have "serious operating system problems"

Whatever the he!! that means.

icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

The Charter guy even had the balls to laugh when I explained what's been happening. Gee, thanks alot.

Some other Charter dude will show up between 8:30 and 4 this weds. which of course means at either 8:10 when I'm taking my kid to school or 4:15 that afternoon.

This is more a symptom of problems happening at the other end, or along the path, rather than on your PC itself. If the server you're trying to reach is congested or if the network segment it shares is experiencing high volume, your request has to wait.

This would be especially true of search-intensive, or heavy-processing sites like a map site.

Here's a quick way to tell by tracing the route. Go to Start/Run... and type in "cmd" (without the quotes). This will open up a command window (DOS box). Type in "tracert gscafe.com" (again without the quotes) and hit Enter. It will start showing a list of all the different "hops" between different computers that your request is taking to get to gscafe.com. It will list the time in milliseconds it takes the data to travel from one hop to the next. If the time is shown as "

When you're done playing around with tracert, just type "exit" and hit enter to close the command window.

Good advice from Zixar. Also, if it's a momentary hang on certain websites, you can try disabeling the JIT compiler...I've had that cause similar problems before. Got to tools, internet options, and it's under the advanced tab.

Shellon, still waiting to hear from you icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick

The phone company repairman was at my house this morning to fix an on going problem.

After he was finished repairing wires, he asked me if my computer worked.

I answered 'ummmmm no, but noone seems to know why'

The connection wires are shredded, barely hanging on enough, apparently chewed by something.

Whoda thunk? The reason the cable dude didn't notice that the FIVE times he was here?

DUH!