GreaseSpot Cafe

Pop Ups

Abigail

Yeah, I was using Mozilla for a while. I dumped it when I started getting lots of pop ups on it. I didn't have a problem with pop ups in internet explorer or Mozilla until I was hijacked on New Years. I can't help but think there is still something on this computer I need to get rid of that Ad Aware and Spybot aren't finding.

Sounds like Spyware. Are you getting pop ups when you are not even on the Internet? Is this XP or 98?

If XP be sure to upgrade to SP2 which turns off a couple of dangerous services and installs a built in pop up blocker too.

If 98, I would ditch it somehow.

And be sure to UPDATE Adaware to the latest verison and update it even then. Also use Spybot. Unplug your internet connection while combatting Spyware until you are clean completely.

Vert, I ran your program and found several hijackers and a trojan horse that Ad Aware and Spybot both missed.

Unfortunately it is going to cost me another $40 to actually fix it. Right now I am working on the $70 for Zone Alert before the 15 day trial runs out. I decided to use their suite package and cancel the McAfee's because its a better deal.

If money grew on trees I would have dumped not only 98 but this entire computer quite a while ago. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Yeah, some of them are in the registry.

Theres a ton of Adware in the registry Keys

There's a Hijacker called AT-Games which is supposed to be in a registry Key and also in my dowloaded program file, but I can't find it there.

There's another one called CoolWebSearch which is a highjacker - ad aware keeps finding it but can't get rid of it. This one is also supposed to be in my downloaded programs file, but again I don't see it listed there.

There's a couple other hijackers and a trojan horse that I am still searching for.

Sheesh what a pain in the behind this has become. I might just have to deal with it until I come up with the cash. I'll know more about that in a week or two when the credit card bills come in. That's the f'd up part. I have the cash, just not sure if I have the credit card space. I may have to wait for the bills to come in, pay them, then buy the programs.

here's one that might help

regcleaner-it's an old one and not on their website anymore. But it will list everything in your registry and you can remove it with this program. This may be what you need till you can get spywarenuker.

email me and I'll send it to you

cmannix@cinci.rr.com

I hope you have a high speed connection-a dial up may take a while when sending files.

That's odd.

I KNOW Spybot S & D goes after "CoolWebSearch".

Have you updated both that and AdAware, and run both

while in "Safe Mode"?

=========

AdAware SE 1.05 is the latest version of AdAware.

Spybot:Search & Destroy 1.3 is the latest version of Spybot.

According to their website, December 2004's updates included

some coolsearch variants.

I updated both of them last week. Ad Aware will find the coolsearch stuff but if it is getting rid of it, I am continuing to get it over and over again.

I think I'm going to hit Best Buy today and see what they have to offer by way of Spyware.

I deleted what I could, manually last night. I couldn't find everything and I am still getting the stupid pop-ups. They aren't constant like they were on New Years but they are annoying.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Here's links to the latest versions of spybot and adawarese that wordwolf mentioned.

I ran them both and they both found more stuff! Spybot even labeled Spywarenuker as spyware, I hope I didn't waste my money. Well wouldn't be the first time...lol.

Might be all you need but I will send you some files.

I have adaware version 6 too, paid for it. maybe it's outdated.

Have you tried running "Spyware Blaster" on your system? If not, you can get it here:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

What it does is installs itself in the background and prevents anything that it recognizes from being installed, or reinstalled once Spybot or Ad Aware (or whatever) removes it.

Just like Spybot S&D, and Ad Aware, you have to keep it updated, but it's sole purpose is to keep spy crap from being reinstalled. This program is also free, and recommended by the folks at Spybot (see the "Immunize" section of the Spybot program).

Another thing I discovered is if you simply "Logoff" your OS and do not turn the computer (CPU) off when not in use, spyware will reinstall themselves while you aren't logged in - regardless of what you're running to prevent trouble. So, if you have to leave the CPU turned on, don't log out until someone else can log in immediately. Otherwise, turn the CPU off when you're not using it.

My 2 cents...

Nomad888