GreaseSpot Cafe

Kevin Smith Movies

Two summers ago The Man of A Thousand Screen Names introduced me to Kevin Smith by playing the opening scene from Dogma when I was visiting him and Abigail.

I didn't get around to actually watching any of these movies until this past month.

My girlfriend and I have watched Clerks, Mall Rats and Chasing Amy in the past few weeks. Dogma is next, then Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Any other fans out there?

It doesn't matter if we turn to dust...guess I'll see you dancin' in the ruins tonight

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Snoogans. Make sure you get the extended DVD of Dogma and watch all the deleted scenes.

Get the Clerks animated series DVD, too.

There's also a DVD compilation of some of his college speaking tours "An Evening With Kevin Smith" that's pretty good.

Go to Kevin's website at www.viewaskew.com and go download the "Flying Car" sketch he did for Jay Leno, as well as the "Roadside Attractions".

Check out his cameo as Jack Kirby (the medical examiner who shows the billy club to the reporter) in the "Daredevil" movie.

Ahhhhhhhhh yes...Jersey humor...and what blue collared, red blooded, porkroll eatin', tomato pie lovin' fellow Jerseyan wouldn't love Kevin Smith????

Hell, I've even got a Buddy Christ dashboard statue!!! ''Look at it...doesn't it just...POP!!!''

Peace and Love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

quote:
Bethany: I don't want this, it's too big.

Metatron: That's what Jesus said. Yes, I had to tell him. And you can imagine how that hurt the Father - not to be able to tell the Son Himself because one word from His lips would destroy the boy's frail human form? So I was forced to deliver the news to a scared child who wanted nothing more than to play with other children. I had to tell this little boy that He was God's only Son, and that it meant a life of persecution and eventual crucifixion at the hands of the very people He came to enlighten and redeem. He begged me to take it back, as if I could. He begged me to make it all not true. And I'll let you in on something, Bethany, this is something I've never told anyone before... If I had the power, I would have.

Yeah, MallRats was sort of a "normal" movie, boy(s) get girls(s) at the end, unlike Clerks and Chasing Amy where the happy ending is decidedly short circuited by stupidity.

It doesn't matter if we turn to dust...guess I'll see you dancin' in the ruins tonight

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Dogma is probably my favorite KS movie. A little trivia...the nun in the beginning...any Mr. Rogers fans???? Yep, that's Lady Aberlain from the neighborhood of make believe. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Love the 13th apostle too! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Peace and Love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

Edited by Guest

quote:
Bethany: What's he like?

Metatron: God? Lonely. But funny. He's got a great sense of humor. Take sex for example. There's nothing funnier than the ridiculous faces you people make mid-coitus.

Bethany: Sex is a joke in heaven?

Metatron: The way I understand it, it's mostly a joke down here, too.

=================

Serendipity: I have issues with anyone who treats faith as a burden instead of a blessing. You people don't celebrate your faith; you mourn it.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Jersey Girl on Saturday. If it weren't for Ben Affleck and George Carlin, (and the uncredited cameos from Jason Lee and Matt Damon) you'd never know Kevin Smith did this. Okay, that, and the fact that it's set in his hometown of Highlands, NJ.

Here's the plot: workaholic father becomes instant single parent when wife dies in childbirth.

That's it. You alredy know exactly where it goes from there.

Still, it's one of Affleck's best-ever performances. And Carlin's. And Liv Tyler's. They're the reason this isn't just a typical Afterschool Special. If you go in expecting another Jay & Silent Bob movie, you'll be sorely disappointed. It would also be disingenuous to dismiss JG as just another chick flick--sort of like About A Boy in Jersey. It's not an instant classic by any stretch, but I think that all the actors involved will be able to look back on the work they did on JG as some of their finest.

Happily, though, JG's box office in one weekend beat the ENTIRE theatrical run of last year's Gigli, so it looks like America is over Ben & Jen now.

For Kevin Smith fans: *** out of four.

For everyone else: ** out of four.

AHHHHH DOGMA! I gave that video to my therapist to watch and said "this is where I'm headed spirtually". The next session she said she laughed so hard she wanted her 80y/o mother to watch it. My therapist is a Episcapalian lay person. She had been trying to get me to go to her church and be a member. After watching the movie she decided to leave me alone. She figured I had the potential to be like one of the Angles. She still has my video.

Oak: J&SBSB was really more enjoyable if you were a Smith fan. Jokes like Brodie and Banky being the same actor (Jason Lee) and Ben Affleck simultaneously being Holden from Chasing Amy and himself, all the people exiting the Bluntman premiere, etc.

Dogma is probably the funniest of the Askewniverse movies, followed by Clerks. Chasing Amy is probably the best overall, followed closely by Dogma. And Mallrats really doesn't deserve half the crap it takes. If you look at it in the same category as other teen-genre movies, it stands up pretty well. I think the original opening would have been funnier, though. (The scene script is an extra on the DVD.)

I couldn't agree more with you on that 6er. Chasing Amy should've gotten more critical acclaim than it did. Every time I've shared that movie with someone they come away visibly impressed and having some introspective moments...

J&SBSB was an "insider" movie that probably wouldn't make much sense to anyone else. I'm glad he made it for "us".