GreaseSpot Cafe

Like, At the End of the Day, Don't Say That

Raf

quote:
"Plain English supporters around the world have voted 'At the end of the day' as the most irritating phrase in the language," announces the Plain English Campaign, a British-based group that describes itself as "an independent pressure group fighting for public information to be written in plain English," with more than 4.500 registered supporters in 70 countries.

"Second place in the vote was shared by 'At this moment in time' and the constant use of 'like' as if it were a form of punctuation. 'With all due respect' came fourth.

"The Campaign surveyed its 5000 supporters in more than 70 countries as part of the build-up to its 25th anniversary. The independent pressure group was launched on 26 July 1979.

"George Orwell's advice from 1946 is still worth following: 'Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.'"

"24/7" and "awesome" are on its list of words that received multiple nominations:

24/7

absolutely

address the issue

around (in place of "about")

awesome

ballpark figure

basically

basis ("on a weekly basis" in place of "weekly" and so on)

bear with me

between a rock and a hard place

blue sky (thinking)

boggles the mind

bottom line

crack troops

diamond geezer

epicentre (used incorrectly)

glass half full (or half empty)

going forward

I hear what you're saying..

in terms of...

it's not rocket science

literally

move the goal-posts

ongoing

prioritise

pushing the envelope

singing from the same hymn sheet

the fact of the matter is

thinking outside the box

to be honest/to be honest with you/to be perfectly honest

touch base

up to (in place of "about")

value-added (in general use)

The Plain English Campaign

I think the point is that they're overused and that they take up unnecessary space.

I told my writing class that I would take a full letter grade off any paper that contains the words "basically" or "essentially." I challenged them to come up with a single sentence in which those words were necessary (excluding the preceding sentence, of course).

Essentially a "diamond geezer" is basically a cockney expression meaning that someone is a good and wonderful bloke.

The campaign for plain english are between a rock and a hard place if they wish to attack dialect expressions in this way.

To be honest, it's not rocket science and they are pushing the envelope a bit if they wish to get everyone to sing from the same hymn sheet.

It boggles the mind that they should be seen to be pushing the envelope in this direction.

The idea of plain english is to stop official gobbledygook and politically correct replacement phrases, not to attack common and popular everyday expressions.

But at the end of the day, going about it in this manner can only fail to address the issue.

quote:
Originally posted by Rafael 1969:

I told my writing class that I would take a full letter grade off any paper that contains the words "basically" or "essentially." I challenged them to come up with a single sentence in which those words were necessary (excluding the preceding sentence, of course).

That's pretty narrow, don't you think? Certainly there are synonyms, but the words can be used correctly in sentences where they are not redundant. For example:

"The ethics of deliberately lying are not always clear-cut. One may be essentially honest, yet lie on occasion to spare someone else's feelings."

Removing "essentially" would cause the second sentence to be self-contradictory. It is a properly-placed qualifier in that usage.

Of course it was extreme, and I was clear on that when I spoke to them. I gave them this as an example of some rules which are not rules at all: they are preferences which can be broken without doing harm to the English language. But it is essential, I said, to know what a rule is so that when you break it, you are doing it with wisdom and not out of laziness.

Basically and essentially are overused. There's nothing wrong with them, and more often than not, they are used properly (grammatically speaking). But as a writer, I can tell you that each word should be used sparingly because they're just so danged convenient. People pepper their conversations with those words, which is fine in conversation, but on paper they become the equivalent of UMMMM, UMMMM, UMMMM.

Another rule which isn't a rule (but is almost never broken by good writers), is that it's improper to start an article with the date. The only time it is appropriate, I said, is when you're reciting the opening of The Odd Couple (which none of those whippersnappers gaughed at).

Split infinitives? They're fine, honest.

And there's really no rule which says you cannot end a sentence with a preposition, although there are grammar-nazis who insist that prepositions are not for ending sentences with.

On the local sports talk radio station they play a game called "you know". They play a piece of an interview and count the number of times the athlete says "you know". I think the record is 29 times in 15 or 20 seconds.

Try it yourself next time you hear an interview. It probably works with other folks as well, but it works best when athletes are involved. It just might make the interview bearable.

I hope I'm not the only one who noticed that the majority of these are "business speak." I'm suprised they missed words like synergy, touch-point, knowledge transfer, and all that other crap I hear about on a daily basis. (By the way, another guy has to "transfer his knowledge to me", supposedly because they want to be prepared in case he "calls in sick" some day. I warned him of the truth.)