GreaseSpot Cafe

Six Feet Under

Hope R.

Well, someone had to start the discussion.

I guess after all the action in "The Sopranos" and "Deadwood", the first episode of SFU was a bit disappointing. But I realized that it wasn't really the first episode of the new season - it was more like the last episode of last season - wrapping up Lisa's death (drowned? how? with help?); Brenda's return (think she's going to get it on with the neighbor - old habits die hard); Claire's abortion (I can't believe that Russell was so freaked out - personally, I thought it was bad acting); David and Keith's reunion (how long with that last?), and the ousting of Rico and Vanessa's house guest (knew that would happen, too).

All in all - the episode was predictable. Didn't you know the minute that Nate said he was going to take care of the cremation that he was going to give the Kimmel's some old ashes and bury Lisa the way she wanted to be buried? It was so obvious.

The only "catch" was that the ashes were from the kid who flew away in 1972. That was the "aha" at the end.

I hope it gets better.

I missed last week's show, but I was kinda shocked about the beginning of last night's episode with the helium-filled sex dolls floating up in the air. That lady had to have been hallucinating to see angels and think it was Jesus coming back.

Anywhooo, it made an interesting scene, a sadly funny one. Sorry, am I sick? The whole thing was just so unbelievable.

Then the ending topped the cake (or shall I say turd pile???)

This is the 2nd of the last 2 episodes I haven't enjoyed. I feel no relationship to the characters anymore - no empathy at all for any of them.

Three months have supposedly passed since last week's episode - yet some of the dialog referred back to last week as if it had just happened. Oh - and if it really is 3 months - then what was the 90 day thing with Brenda and the neighbor all about? I must have missed something.

I guess I'm just not getting into it. I miss "Deadwood". In spite of the bad language and grizzly violence - I developed a real interest in the people and the story line. Right now, I could care less about the Fishers and their friends....

90 days have passed? I missed that... I thought Brenda initially put the guy off but then her "other side" came out and she had to take care of her "urge"...

Last week's episode was OK to me, it seemed more like the final episode of last season though (the way it wrapped things up)...

The show this week didn't really "hold me" like the episodes used to... Rico is a little involved isn't he? ...I don't know, I think when it takes so much work to watch and follow that something's missing...

quote:
then what was the 90 day thing with Brenda and the neighbor all about?

Brenda is a sex addict. I think she was trying to pursue a "normal" sexual relationship--unlike her previous ones where she got cheap thrills having sex with strangers. She said she wanted to get to know him, and 90 days was her time period she gave herself.

Tommy -

I couldn't agree more. I used to enjoy this show so much I'd watch it twice the same night on HBO & HBOW - 3 hours later! Once was enough for the last installment.

Last night was a jumble of different vignettes all leading up to the "Burn the Chaff" closing. I didn't like it at all.

I don't like Brenda being so normal - she's much more interesting when she's crazy.

I don't like Nate being such an incredible wuss. Didn't that scene in the bedroom with the rich woman make you cringe - and not in a good way. Ugh.

I think getting rid of Arthur was a big mistake. He was still quirky. Guess quirky isn't working this season. Oh - and I don't think he's the one sending Ruth & George the poop - which needs to be explained pretty soon or it won't be interesting anymore.

Don't know if I like George or not. Love the actor -James Cromwell(I think he should have taken Richard Harris' place as Dumbledore). He's getting a bit condescending towards Ruth, isn't he?

And Claire? What's up there? Her character has become so blah.

David & Keith are still David and Keith - and I sorta like the "Security to the Stars" story line. But that was about all I liked.

I could care less about Rico and Vanessa and the stripper. Guess Federico Diaz wanted more to do this season.

I did get the metaphor that the bonfire represented a cleansing - a new beginning - which became more evident when Nate tossed his and Lisa's bedding out the window into the fire.

I won't give up on it yet. There's nothing else on Sunday nights anyway.

Gosh - I miss Tony and the gang...

I agree. It's not that good this season. I think Claire will have a lesbian experience with the blonde chick. George will turn out to be some wacko (based on his comments about geology being controversial). Keith will start something up with a famous person and break David's heart. Nate will get back together with Brenda. Brenda won't go for "not normal" sex for long.

All just my speculation.....we'll see. My speculation doesn't sound too enticing does it???

• 2 weeks later...

Yup - it's better - but not the "I wonder where this is going" better I'm used to with this show.

Claire's gonna do it with Edie for sure. Rico is gonna get caught. George's son is going to move out of his hotel and in with the Fishers...

I like Joe - Brenda's new beau. I like him better than Nate. But - since he seems so likable, I'm sure something is going to happen to him.

Nathaniel Sr. hasn't been around much. Maybe he and Lisa will pay a visit....

HopeR, I don't know if it's the worst one... but it sure is back there with the other episodes this season as far as making me say "what's the freaking point here?" while watching it... I had hopes after last week's episode... and it looks like next week we get to see Claire "experiment"...

It sure ain't what it used to be... I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of "The Wire" and "Carnivale" as well... (and then Deadwood!)

Tom & Wayfer - what really drove me crazy was how many times David could have gotten away from that lunatic and didn't. John & I counted at least 3 or 4 times he could have either run away or driven away.

And the fact that David even picked the guy up in the first place was strange. I honestly don't think it is in the nature of his character to have done so. The whole story line was out of character.

And didn't you all know that the minute David picked him up that something bad was going to happen? Too obvious.

As far as the lunatic goes (whatever his name was), if he had stayed in character, he would have lit the match at the end. The whole thing was bizarre and unrealistic (not that the Fishers are realistic by any means, but at least they're consistant in their dysfunctions!)

Like I said- I think I'm not going to bother anymore. Unfortunately, there's nothing else on Sunday night that I care to watch.