GreaseSpot Cafe

Accelerated Reading

Shellon

I am a single mom.

My at home child is 9 years old, an honor student, a good kid at home and school.

I'm also one of those mom's that is on the phone to teachers/principals, etc several times a week some times, as well as in the classroom alot! More than my kid would prefer, I know that. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> (her face, not mine)

Oh, that's the preface.

Everyone's familiar with the "No Child Left Behind" school mess implimented, that started the Accelerated Reading Programs in schools, among many other things that afford the systems the funding if kids meet the ends thrown upon them. icon_mad.gif (my face, not my kids)

The first marking period, I was ....ed about kids not getting to attend a school wide party if they didn't meet the goal of 10 points in the AR program. Granted, my kid was one of those and she pushed through and made it. After some meetings with powers that be, they lightened up on the reward/punishment part.

Ok, so far so good. Right?

Next marking period, my kid is zipping along with the goal, going to make the 10 points, but others are not. The punishment this time is such that embarrassment is the goal of the grown ups so that next time the kids will do better. Sigh, more meetings.

The kids gave up.

This marking period is about 1/2 way done and in my child's class, only 9 of the 22 have even come close to the goal. Two have passed it far past the goal of 10 points.

My child is 3.5 point behind where she should be to keep up and meet the goal. In talking to other parents, I'm hearing "my kid doesn't care if s/he reaches it" which tickles mom and dad, cuz they were already there from day one; most of them.

I asked my precious does she want to meet the goal? She responds in the affirmative and we embark on our mission. Hence the problem of so many parents in any society.

Last week I took away one of two recess's each day and she was to go to the library and just read during that recess. She 'forgot' twice and the teacher never did remember. To the teachers credit, she's a substitute filling in for the regular teacher on maternity leave.

This week, I'm gathering up my child for each recess and we'll go to library together and she'll read as I hover nearby. This also means every day my day is broken up at noon and 2 so I can run to her school and make her do her reading. Sigh.Inconvenient, but necessary. I think.

She said 'sure mom, that sounds good' but let me say this is a very good and sweet kid who never wants to disappoint anyone, especially mom.

I asked her again, three times, did she really want to meet this goal, it was ok with me if she didn't. She wants to. The reward this time is pizza during lunch time instead of the regular lunch.

The children have homework three nights of the week, as well as whatever chores and sports/organizational activities they enjoy. Somehow in our house, by the time we get home at 3:30, get supper out of the way by 5:30, do homework, tomorrow's clothes and have any kind of conversation, it's already 8:00 and time for bed. My particular child is one that needs a long nights sleep.

This routine is when I don't have a class that night.

Now, after all that rambling, my question is this: What the hell is with that program and why must every kid be cookie cutter-ed into the same box?

I love love to read and will do so every chance I get. My kid is not so. She'll do it cuz she has to and her level in school is at a late 5th grader, while she's in 4th grade, so it's not ability. She just isn't that into reading.

Does this forcing them to read steal passion of the written word? Would kids, my own included, enjoy reading just for the enjoyment, otherwise?

I agree that recess time is important; they need to go outside and run and yell and play. What I've got now is her not having that, because she's gotta meet this goal.

Now, I'm the first in line when they are handing out the lecture of "kids better get used to doing what is expected of them and face the consequences of not doing the work".

What about the kid(s) who are delayed in their learning process for some reason? In my child's class, there are two who are mainstreamed into the regular routine, but also spend 1/2 days with 'resource' teacher, working at their specific level, which is about a first grader maintenance. Should they also be forced to reach the goal of 10 points?

They are given same goal and neither of them has met it yet.

I am frustrated and sick of the politics of the system. I hesitate to gripe about making the kids work hard, meet goals, etc., as I want and expect that of my kid too.

icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> My face, not my kids.

It sounds to me like the program is not being handled right at your school.

My son went through the points/rewards thingie, too and he had a couple of times when he got frustrated for not making his points. But before I could even talk to the teacher, my son reported that the teacher approached him to adjust the reading level and expectations to better suit his needs. By his account, she did this with all the kids, to ensure that they were excited and challenged by what they were reading but not overwhelmed. After that, he loved the program.

I'm really sorry your experience has been a bad one.

quote:
adjust the reading level and expectations to better suit his needs

BINGO! That was the hopes of all the meetings at the beginning of the year; meet each kid where s/he is and set a goal that was attainable for them, individually.

The admin. arguement was that it'd be too much work to keep track of each kid's goals. Bull! Not only can each kid do that, but ummmmm parents, hello?

Well, some of the kids parents wouldn't even recognize their kids teacher if they fell over her.

I've even offered to be the AR reading person at the school, to work with the kids, within the system, volunteering.

Maybe I'm too 'buttinski' about this.

It's sad indeed.

We also have AR and the kids are not pushed in anyway like you described. There is a contest for which class gets the most points at the end ofthe year but none of the constant push and punishment stuff. All kids who participate get a certificate at the end of the year (even if they only took 1 AR test). They also do STARS to test reading level so the kids all read books at an appropriate level for them.

I would totally BLOW OFF any program that puts so much pressure on ME. My kid like the Pizza Hut program becuase she gets a free pizza evey month. She has to read 2 chapter books the get that. She is in the 4th grade btw and doesn't like to read very much either. On her last STARS she tested at 6.2. So her range for bookes is 3.5 to 6.2. They don't want them to read books that are to hard so they wont get frustrated. I am mostly happy with this school it is a good at academics but a little too harsh on the discipline.

You are not "buttinski". Kids get frustrated if the book is too hard, or at a level of maturity that is beyond them. When mine was in 2nd grade she was real excited about reading and pushed herself, but then her reading level got too high, so the books she was allowed to read for AR were too mature for her. That is when we quit doing it and I kept on letting her read books she liked.

Damn I'm glad we home school!! And I think you are a great mom.

How about you adopt me, and I'll home school both kidlets.

Liz has a 4.0 average again this year, me being a proud mama.

And she hates reading too. I never ever thought I'd have a kid that hates to read. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> This is Liz's new look, sheesh. love tcat

quote:
How about you adopt me, and I'll home school both kidlets

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Ok, I'll pack. Can I bring Samantha, Charlie, Karly and baby too? Oh, and the great dane and jack russel? Oh, what about Ed?

See why your husband loves us?

Shell, I wish I had an answer, but you know I can relate. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Schools these days suck. Most parents won't get involved so the administrators think they can do whatever they want. Then they start to resent those few parents who will get involved.

It is all very sad and pathetic and the kids are the ones who lose the most.

I have kids(5th grade and up) in accelerated reading/language arts, but it must not be the same program your school has.

My 5th grader does Jr Great Books in a small group,plus a novel they read together.(Tuck Everlasting was one novel the group did.) They do three book reports each 6 week grading period. But they like those because they can choose different types of reports--oral reports, art type reports, dramatizations etc.

They do have to pick books in a certain reading level range, and take SRI tests to determine the level.

My kids have homework 4 nights a week, plus the book reports and other projects on weekends.If they get 97% completion on homework, they get to go to a fun incentive each grading period(like rollerskating.)

I don't think you are a buttinski at all--it sounds like the AR program at your school will make kids hate reading for life!

In the GOOD schools teachers meet kids where they are and work to bring them where they should be WITH the parents.

No Child Left Behind is a horrible thing....but since Ted Kennedy wrote it...what can we expect???

You are fantastic, Shell in that you are so willing to be involved...I sure wish some of the parents of kids I teach could. But alas...most of them work two and three jobs just to break even.

There is no easy answer except for a teacher or parent to come along and *zing* in on a book or series of books that lights a kids fire.

In my classroom, I use the interests of my students to guide the focus of required curriculum. In other words...the state requires certain standards...I find what jazzes my students and put THAT as the focus for what they need to learn.

Right now we are working on Expository writing. As part of that...my students are bringing in and typing up recipes that make their family "sing" and we are compiling it into a school cookbook.

They SEE the outcome.

They also read each week in areas that interest them...plus I read to them from books. I have seen SO MANY kids start reading where they never had an interest before.

I find that what makes me hot to read usually works for kids. ALL of my students now read and I get a real kick out of hearing from them about their books.

Thank you everyone. I've resigned myself to the reality that this is not going to change anytime soon.

So, I will do whatever I have to do with/for my own daughter to help her.

While I was waiting in the hall for her to meet me, her teacher came out and said she didn't help her last week because "Kelly said she forgot her book every day". No, Kelly had her AR book, finished it, and library wasn't until friday, again. The teacher wouldn't let her go check out another one before then.

Do not lie to this mama.

It's the reality of our system here and we won't be moving for a few years yet.

Today, reading during both recess times, she finished one book and tested on that. I took her to check out another one that we'll start on tomorrow. And so on and on.

Here's what I would like to add...

I don't know if you have the spare time or not, but this is the way it is:

If it ain't done right, get in there and change it.

I don't like the government situration much. But I applied to be on the licensing board for Oregon's landscape contractors - one of seven people appointed by the Governor to that task.

So, it's not my cup of tea, but I have made a difference. Even if in one big area. Here, to do full arboriculture - tree planting and pruning, it would take a license with the landscape board for the planting end and oddly, another license with the builders board.

There is legislation right now, already to hearing, to move all tree services to the landscape board eliminating a need for a second license and it would combine the communication of the entire industry. Half their problems are from working independently.

I am one of the rare certified arborists that is also a certified landscape technician. Take it one step more rare, I do full size landscape plans as a designer.

The arborist guys think their knowledge is not landscaping. And vice versa. Even on our board, one member said it's two sciences. I spoke up and said it's identicle. You have to know how to prune a tree to select one for a spot. You must prune one at installation.

So...that whole potential transfer, likely to succeed, probably would not have happened if I did not go on the board. I introduced it. I got word out so another aborist could get on the landscape board.

There are so many problems in government and schools because believing people don't volunteer and get involved and pay their dues in what affects them.

Similarly, many groups that work aware of each other, but quite independently, can increase problems by lack of coordinated effort.

And maybe you don't have the time, or he, or she, or they, but still, there is another he or she or them you may encourage to step up to the task.

By the way, this is my 6th year of my second 3 year term. And I will enjoy the change.

Well, I am not going to be changing anything within the system, that's become painfully obviouse, no matter the time I give to this albatros around the children's necks.

However, I can make things as comfortable as possible for MY child.

Kelly finished the book and tested at 100% so she went up one more point. Noone knows the actual number they are supposed to be at right now, so Kelly and I will get her ahead, so that whatever they decide for the number, the chances are very good she'll be there.

Yesterday the teacher was bi+chy to me, as well as the children.

Differant approach time.

I sent a note to teacher this morning reminding her that I'd be there at 12:10 and again at 2:00 to get Kelly to read and added that I found it unfortunate that, as a substitute, they didn't see fit to fill her in on the AR program or me.

Also was a note stapled to her math homework about unfinished work because Kelly wasn't understanding it, would she please help out? ( I don't help my kid with math homework, as it only frustrates her further)

When I got there at noon, the teacher had helped with her homework and was had checked out the AR program again and we started over. I knew that she was well aware of the AR program as well as being told about me and my approach to my childs education and classroom.

Now, for today anyway, the teacher and I are working together. I still don't like the program, don't understand their feet plant thinking about not adjusting for each child, etc.

The point is it doesn't matter. My child has to meet the 10 points, period.

I will continue to re arrange my schedule and be there for each recess to read with her until she's met the goal, probably even at 13, just to cover for when they tell me she's missing one point at the last minute.

There is one more marking period left in the school year and Kelly will have to meet the 10 pt goal again. We may be taking alot of recess times reading again.

Bottom line: it doesn't matter, she has to meet their expectations and goals, so I'll do whatever I have to do to help her get there I choose to have it be lessons in real life for her.

I will continue to be a pain in the backside of the system as I hollar and meet and talk and ask and offer.

My son uses the AR program on a regular basis. When he was in second grade, I requested him using the AR system of books/testing to encourage him to read more and push him to reach a higher reading level... which it did.

As a regular volunteer in my son's media center (library/computer), I help alot with the label of books for the AR system. I notice that alot of the books have a very low point range -- many are 0.5 or 1.0 unless you get into something like Harry Potter series than you hit 40 + points.

My son's school uses the AR testing system more for tracking the Level of Reading that the students are at. The points aren't even used. Sure it is tracked by the testing system but it isn't used as a reward/punishment system. The goal of reaching the next higher reading level is the reward!! What an accomplishment for a child to have -- to see their level go from for example 2.1 to 3.4 in one school year.

Who cares if they get .5 point to 50 points as long as they are improving themselves? It is more than just learning to read. It is learning to think, remember and comprehend what they are reading that is important.

quote:
Who cares if they get .5 point to 50 points as long as they are improving themselves? It is more than just learning to read. It is learning to think, remember and comprehend what they are reading that is important.

I couldn't agree more and that is really the point.

As I've mentioned, many of the children have just given up and what might that do to their love of the written word?

That bugs me. Alot.

Since yesterday, Kelly has finished another book, bringing her level up another point. She is at 6.5 now with the required score of 10 to be reached by the 18th to get the damn reward.

I am kicking around the idea of telling her she's taking the next marking period off from this assignment.

A typical day for herl ooks something like this:

6:45 awake, and til 7:55 breakfast,dressing, taking care of Ed, out the door

3:30 home and 30 minute break to do anything she wants to do.

4:00 homework, usually until 5:00 and if it's not done then, we set it aside til later.

5:00 help me with supper, which we try to keep simple on school nights, but it's 6:00 by time we're done.

6:00 chores, differant every day, but any are geared to take her about 20 or so minutes if she sticks to it.

6:30 figure out tomorrow's clothes, hair stuff, repack bag, decide about tomorrow's lunch and make it if choice is home.

7:00 practice guitar for 30 minutes

7:30 our hang out and do nothing time, hopefully. Finish homework or take unfinished?

8:00 double check bag and head for bed, so she'll be asleep by 8:30 or 9:00

This is a typical boring night when I don't have school. On those nights (2 per week) we get home at 10 and forget anything getting done that night. She gets one mental health day per week, usually sunday is the one she chooses, where she doesn't have to do any chores.

My point in telling you all of that boring stuff is that a typical kids day is full and busy.

After school all day, meeting my demands here at home, the child doesn't want to do reading homework too. Were it her own choice, maybe she would.

I have a meeting friday with the principal to discuss the Science Fair that I will be coordinating and intend to fit this AR things into the conversation.

Again.