GreaseSpot Cafe

Ashley Smith is a true Hero

RottieGrrrl

The nationwide manhunt Friday and Saturday that came out of Atlanta. Brian Nichols, who was a defendant on trial for rape and aggravated sodomy, among other things, overpowered a guard when he was waiting to go to his trial

He was 6'1and 220 lbs the female guard 5'2 and 50 years old. He critically injured her, killed a judge, court reporter, a deputy sheriff, pistol whipped a reporter in one carjacking, and later carjacked and murdered a federal customs official.

Ashley is a 26 year old single mom (Her husband was murdered 4 years ago) with a 5 year old daughter. She ran out for smokes at like 2am and was accosted by Nichols on her way back.

She was tied, bound, and kept hostage for hours and was able to talk to him and get herself out of the situation and call the police. It's a huge, long story, with much more detail then I'll get into here, cause it's all over the news.

They had like 100 cops out there with a Swat team surrounding the complex.

She truly believed God had Nichols meet up with her so she could keep him from hurting any more people.

This lady is just incredible, and she's giving all the credit to the hand of God being involved. It's just incredible.

I mean she's got the most hardnosed reporters just shaking their heads in wonder.

It is an amazing story. I don't know how many people would be that calm under those circumstances.

The Fulton County Sheriff's Department is going to be in hot water over this. That female deputy should never have been alone with a guy like that.

Plus there's supposed to be a video surveillance tape that shows Nichols overpowering the deputy, taking her gun and locking her in the cell. The video camera is supposed to be monitored by two officers and apparently nobody saw what happened until after he'd already killed three people. Not good.

Plus the "green Honda" that Nichols originally carjacked, which had a nationwide APB out on it, was discovered 13 hours later by a regular passerby!

It was parked in the same parking garage near the same spot where Nichols carjacked it from the reporter. Nichols didn't even drive it out of the garage. It appears he parked it, then walked out and caught a train.

So everyone was looking for this car for 13 hours and it was practically IN THE SAME SPOT!

I also read that all the guards were running, guns drawn, in the exact opposite direction of where Nichols fled.

Columbos these guys are not.

I have nothing but admiration for this woman and the way she handled herself. I watched an interview with her on CNN a little while ago. Sounds to me like she stayed calm and was kind to this man, who had obviously snapped for whatever reason. Her coolheadedness and faith in God probably saved her life--not to mention the lives of who knows how many others.