GreaseSpot Cafe

SPOILER ALERT Revenge of the Sith

Raf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll keep an eye out.

If it was Lucas DIRECTING, though, I'm dubious.

It was when others directed that characters felt more real.

With Lucas directly managing a scene, Harrison Ford would NOT have gotten

to utter his pimptastic line in "Empire"....

Princess Leia: "I love you."

Han Solo: "I know."

Of course, we got to see the reprise of that in "Jedi", with them

reversing lines. icon_smile.gif:)-->

The script for "Empire" did NOT have Ford saying that-it was FORD's idea.

There were a lot of little touches the actors got to inject into the scripts

here and there in the original trilogy.

Lucas seems to lack a humanizing touch.

Before I forget,

Harrison Ford was given some advice after playing a bellboy in

"Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round".

"Sit down, kid.

I just saw the film from yesterday.

You're not going to make it. You ought to just forget this business."

"Yeah? Why?"

"I'll tell you a story.

The first time Tony Curtis ever was on screen, he delivered a bag of groceries-

a bag of groceries. You took one look at that guy, and you said, that's a

movie star."

"I thought you were supposed to think that was a grocery delivery boy."

"Get out of here!"

---

Barbara Walters:

"And we never heard of that man again. Has he tried to hire you since?"

"Not at current prices, no."

====

Figured you'd love to see that story. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Saw it Thursday night on Fox.

The visuals are awesome. You don't get to see all that much of the characters, except Anakin. There's about a 1-second shot of Amidala, who's supposed to be pregnant in most of this movie.

The trailer's not on starwars.com yet, but it should be there soon.

They were playing it a bunch on the entertainment shows.

It

Looks

Awesome...

Finally watching the Emperor throw down...

Chewie's back!

Threepio's looking like his old self.

Mace Windu trying to arrest the Emperor.

Emperor: "Are you threatening me?"

Oh My God. It sent shivers down my spine.

I hope the movie lives up to it. The first two weren't even close.

Lucas calls new 'Star Wars' a titanic tearjerker

LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Director George Lucas had a message for fans as he previewed a glimpse of the final tale in the billion-dollar "Star Wars" film franchise: leave the lightsabers at home, but don't forget the tissues.

"It's not like the first one. It's more emotional," said the director of the upcoming space adventure "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith," which arrives in theaters May 19.

"I describe it as a 'Titanic' in space. It's a real tearjerker, and it will be received in a way that none of us can expect," he told theater owners at the ShoWest convention.

ShoWest is a major gathering of movie theater owners in the United States and a launch pad for Hollywood's summer movies.

Film studio 20th Century Fox teased a packed house here with the first six minutes of "Revenge of the Sith," marking the first time the scenes had been shown to audiences.

Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) and master Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) wage a furious fight against their adversaries in a battle of deadly spaceships. In this episode, Skywalker becomes the notorious Darth Vader.

Lucas and the promotional clip did not divulge much about the "tearjerker" love story. But Senator Amidala (Natalie Portman), who married Skywalker in a secret ceremony witnessed in the last movie, plays a key role.

If Lucas's comparison to "Titanic" is to be believed, there must be heartbreak in "Revenge of the Sith" because 1997's tale of the doomed ocean liner stirred audiences with its tale of an ill-fated affair between characters played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet.

Love can work wonders with movie audiences. "Titanic" is the highest-grossing movie of all time with more than $1.8 billion in worldwide ticket sales. In the No. 2 spot is "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" with $1.1 billion.

The "Star Wars" films are no box office losers, either, but there hasn't been much romance in them -- not yet, anyway.

The adventures began with 1977's "Star Wars" and have sold nearly $3.4 billion worth of tickets at global box offices.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the trailer yesterday when me and the fam went to see Robots (good, not great)

The trailer got me interested and wondered why the other two never approached this.

It will be dark and like Titanic, we will not be surprised by the end.

I don't know for sure, but it should be obvious what the tear-jerk part will be--Amidala dies shortly after giving birth to the twins. Remember from the original movie: "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars..." Princess Leia's last name is given in the novels as "Organa", even though it's never mentioned in any of the films. In Episode 2, Jimmy Smits plays Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan, Leia's adoptive father, and Anakin's stepbrother Owen Lars is also introduced as a young man in the same film. He becomes Luke's "Uncle Owen" who gets killed early in the original. In Return of the Jedi, Luke & Leia discover they're brother and sister, having been separated at birth to keep them hidden from the Emperor.

Connect the dots...

I don't know about the "dying at birth" thing - in Episode 6, Luke asks Leia if she remembers her mother, and she says yes, and he says he doesn't remember his.

I don't know very many people that remember anything at all from infancy - I have a couple of vague recollections myself, but that's it.

Some things seem rather inconsistent between the first trilogy and the current one. Will Amidala survive? Don't know. She should, according to the snippet Steve! is quoting. But there are other things that don't make sense either. Kenobi told Luke that his father was already quite a pilot when they met. I doubt the lucky fluke at the end of Phantom Menace makes a 10-year-old slave who's never flown anything before "quite a pilot."

"Your father's lightsabre. He wanted you to have it when you were old enough."

Will that quote pan out? I doubt it, myself.

Ah, who knows. I'm still trying to figure out how hiding Luke on Tatooine with the same surname is an effective way of keeping Vader from finding him. smile.gif:)-->

R2 is not a problem: who understands anything he says anyway?

Having Anakin be 3P0's "father" was too silly for words. A nine year old programs a droid fluent in thousands(?) or languages? Hell OOOO!

But I'm okay with Chewie showing up. After all, Ben Kenobi did seem to go straight to him at Mos Eisley in Ep 4.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:
Originally posted by Raf:

Some things seem rather inconsistent between the first trilogy and the current one. Will Amidala survive? Don't know. She should, according to the snippet Steve! is quoting. But there are other things that don't make sense either. Kenobi told Luke that his father was already quite a pilot when they met. I doubt the lucky fluke at the end of Phantom Menace makes a 10-year-old slave who's never flown anything before "quite a pilot."

"Your father's lightsabre. He wanted you to have it when you were old enough."

Will that quote pan out? I doubt it, myself.

Ah, who knows. I'm still trying to figure out how hiding Luke on Tatooine with the same surname is an effective way of keeping Vader from finding him. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I'd have to go back and see if Leia meant Bail Organa's wife as her mother.

Anakin Skywalker won the podraces and survived his first space battle in

Phantom Menace. Rather good pilots would have managed neither.

Interesting about the lightsabre. We'll have to wait and see.

If you want to read some comments about giving Luke the last name Skywalker,

and why he was on Tatooine, they're in "I, Jedi", by Michael Stackpole.

Keiran Halcyon, at the Jedi Academy/Praxeum, offers his thoughts to Luke on that

very subject.

(It's more fun if you've read the Jedi Academy trilogy first, since this book

references a lot of the events.)

How about this: I decline to read those books, and you just tell us. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Luke asked Leia in Jedi if she remembered her "real mother."

If a kid could race a pod, that doesn't make him "quite a pilot." It makes him quite a pod racer. That's like seeing someone fly a plane and calling him "quite an astronaut." Nooooooo...

And the battle of Naboo? Dude, that was pure dumb luck with a little Force thrown in.

I'm sure Anakin built C-3PO out of salvaged parts from other 3PO droids. If you remember, in the very beginning of episode 4, there's a silver 3PO walking behind him, and in Episode 5, there's a white one. Also the one who meets Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon at the start of Episode 1. The thousands of languages is probably just a chipset.

:P

quote:
Originally posted by Raf:

How about this: I decline to read those books, and you just tell us. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Luke asked Leia in Jedi if she remembered her "real mother."

If a kid could race a pod, that doesn't make him "quite a pilot." It makes him quite a pod racer. That's like seeing someone fly a plane and calling him "quite an astronaut." Nooooooo...

And the battle of Naboo? Dude, that was pure dumb luck with a little Force thrown in.

Ok, just going from the original trilogy, and a few extrapolations in the X-Wing series

and "Shadows of the Empire (takes place just before RotJ)....

Tatooine pilots are thought of as great "bush pilots". (Biggs mentions this in Episode 4.)

Luke raced swoops around (like motorcycles), and he did most of his flying in his

T-16 skyhopper.

(Episode 4, the Death Star attack briefing. "It's not impossible. I used to bulleye

womp-rats in my T-16 back home.")

Tatooine pilots get a reputation for being able to maneuver fighters into tight trenches

like on the Death Star. That's because they learned to fly, then hotdogged around thru

Beggar's Canyon (seen briefly in the Pod Race, Episode I). Luke mentioned it to Biggs

in the Death Star run, Episode 4. (("Just like Beggar's Canyon back home.")

As has been mentioned in tech manuals, bush pilots often pick up piloting X-Wings

quickly because a T-16 skyhopper's controls are almost identical to the X-Wing controls.

I forget if Incom makes both.

===

The key to Anakin's piloting skills is that he had "Jedi reflexes" (Episode 1.)

Anakin flew like a mutha in both Episodes 1 and 2.

He seemed to have a habit for hotdogging by the time Episode 2 came out.

"I hate it when he does that".-Obi-Wan.

Jedi pilots have 2 advantages.

One, enhanced reflexes.

Two, as explained in Episode 1, their Force-sense allows them to detect obstacles and

problems before they appear.

The maximum potential of a Jedi to do either is determined by practice, inborn

specialization (his body has an affinity to this SPECIFIC Force-skill) and the overall

strength of his Force potential.

As seen in Episode 1, a Jedi's Force potential is determined by his Midiflorine level.

As seen in Episode 1, Anakin's Midiflorine level is off the top of the charts.

As seen in Episode 1, Anakin's been practicing skills related to piloting, which allowed

his inborn Force abilities a chance to emerge.

Therefore, although he'd become a much better pilot after Episode 1,

during it, even as a child, he was above-average.

So, Obi-Wan's statement on his piloting skills makes sense.

===========

Ok, the exchange from "I, Jedi".

It was a conversation between Jedi Master Luke Skywalker,

and soon-to-be-Jedi Knight Keiran Halcyon.

Halcyon had training and experience both as a policeman/soldier,

and as a pilot, especially an X-Wing pilot.

Luke had mentioned a few things he'd been taught

"from a certain point of view",

and used Darth Vader's redemption as an example that even Sith Lords could

be redeemed, and weren't completely evil.

Luke presented the struggle between the light and dark sides as a battle between

monolithic entities that one had to be aware of, in the academy/praxeum.

As he prepared to leave, Keiran explained how he disagreed with Luke.

Keiran said some distinctions were much finer.

He gave examples like refusing a huge bribe to not arrest someone,

and not killing his father's murderer "while resisting arrest",

and other things he'd succeeded at.

He said Luke's training specifically channelled him into black/white thinking because

that's what Obi-Wan/Yoda wanted.

He said they knew Luke would someday want to meet his biological father. They knew Luke

was ready to submit his application to the Imperial Academy on Carida. The name

"Skywalker", on an application from Tatooine, was bound to get notice. Possibly the

usage of Tatooine-where Kenobi was known to operate from-was meant to explain why some

vague references to Kenobi might be found.

However, "from a certain point of view", it all could be seen as preparing Luke to be

a weapon to be used against Darth Vader.

I think that was the essence of the discussion.

Clearly Vader was kept busy for about 20 years, too busy to ever really look for his kid. The explanation above doesn't account for that 20 (or 19) year period: yeah, he'll get noticed when he applies for Academy (whatever that was), but for 19 years before that Vader never calls up ol' Owen and says "listen, lemme know if a crazed scientist or a wild eyed kid starts asking you about the Almanac."

Or have I gotten my sequels mixed up.

Good explanation on the pilot and the 3PO deal.