GreaseSpot Cafe

Andy Serkis (Smeagol/Gollum) snubbed again!

Steve!

I agree about Andy Serkis. Little of the acting in the LOTR movies is Academy Award worthy (not that it's bad, mind you, but George C. Scott it ain't!) - but Serkis's portrayal of Gollum was amazing. Makes me wonder if he was even on the ballot. Anyone who saw the film(s) knew there was a real person behind the computerized character - what a rip-off!

Johnny Depp - I'd nominate him for anything... makes Brad Pitt look like roadkill! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Hope R. color>size>face>

...I don't know who I am but life is for learning... we are stardust...size>face>color>

Tom: Andy did all the action wearing a motion-capture suit, then the other actors re-shot the scenes without Andy and the digital Gollum was controlled by Andy's mo-cap data from the first take. He also did all the voices for Smeagol/Gollum, too. Since he appeared as live-action Smeagol at the start of ROTK, he should have been eligible for a Best Supporting Actor nomination this year. He was cheated.

The body movements are him and the voice is him.

All the facial expressions are computer generated. The design of Gollum's face was based on Andy Serkis, but all the expressions were animation. According to Peter Jackson, the computer animators created more than 600 different facial expressions for Gollum.

Tough call. It's hard to know where the real character stops and the animated character begins.

quote:
Tough call. It's hard to know where the real character stops and the animated character begins.

Literally. In the opening scene of ROTK, I could not tell when they started using the CGI Gollum on screen.

Bernard Hill is a long established actor Zix although I guess this is only his second foray into the international scene, the other being Captain Smith in Titanic.

Funnily enough I was watching the compilation video I have of my late father's TV appearances and there was Bernard Hill acting with him in Pool of Life, a history of the port of Liverpool! So it's nice to think that I have a link with King Theoden!

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"