GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way Corps Rocks

outofdafog

WOW,

What kind words and great understanding.

My model was BraX ThoXXpX. I always thought he and his wife were great examples of a lifetime of service. He really was a great leader.

Do hope I did minimal damage in my efforts to express my heart of service.

For me, jet-style packing had a distinct effect on my ability to better swerve.

There were so many really wonderful, good-hearted people we as corps were blessed to have the 'chance' to be a part of their lives. You 'babes' were refreshing to us. You brought back some of the joy of true service. Our sincere thanks to you...

Tom, I appreciate the sentiment, but just because someone wasn't in the corps didn't make them a 'babe'. I'm certain that's not what you meant to imply, but that was a big part of the problem-the subtle condescending view towards non corps.

For myself, one reason I didn't go in the corps was that I knew I'd never get the hang of jet-style packing, or be able to hang my clothes correctly, or make my bed right. The thought of being dressed down for all that made me sweat bullets.

29... Your opening was not only gracious but insightful too. Yes it was a "trying" time. One thing we heard repeatedly in res was "don't go out on the field and try to run your own "corps program". We heard it over and over. Yet we all saw those on the field who were apparently stone deaf. Demanding to be "treated like a man of God", "the mints aren't right, the chairs are crooked, you people should stand up, don't dress better than me."

NO THANKS!! no twig with you!

"They" kept redefining the corps. "It's for the leaders", "School of the prophets", "It's for twig leaders". UGH!

Thanks for the kind words 29.

My experience with Corps was this- the most negative experiences I had in TWI involved Corps. Does this mean that all Corp were bad ? I don't know - I didn't meet them all. I did meet some cool people who were Corps or who had been but as I circulated more in TWI Tree I encountered lots of self absorbed would be VPWs and Craigs and the results were seldom beneficial. To put this any other way would be lying.

I lost all faith in what the Corps was about after this

experience - I recall that in my twig we would routinely have high numbers (sometimes as many as 50) and this occurred because people on a local level were doing this.

We were running a high number of PFAL classes also.

Even the WOWs in our area would joke about not having to work so hard because of the natural enthusiasm we had on the local level.

So we caught the attention of HQ and I guess they thought

we needed help because they shipped down the "pros". Within a month the average number of Twig attendees fell to 5 !!! They were so negative, so abusive, so know-it-all ("that guy is a fag", "that guy is possessed", "this one will never take the class so forget him". "If you don't take the advanced class this year then you will

never experience the best that god has to give you"). Of course when PFAL classes stopped running who did these experts blame ? The locals of course. I cannot emphasize how much damage these guys did. They took a fruitful area and destroyed it with their "elite knowledge".

Out, I agree with dmiller. Thanks for saying what we should have said a long time ago. I actually feel really priviledged to be on here with so many corps grads. I'm seeing them as "real" people for the first time on here. Before, they were task masters or "really nice people" and I wasn't able to understand them wanting to be corps because they were so nice. Regardless, they were unapproachable and impeachable. The pressure, I think, to be perfect kept us lowly "peons" from really having access to their lives and seeing them as real people with flaws and all.

quote:
But as someone said the atmosphere between TWI1 and TWI2 were significantly different. Yet there were many TWI2 corps who were absolutely as commited as the TIW1 - and for the most part have left the ministry. That tells me their hearts saw the corruption amongst the leadership and chose or were asked to leave. (Asked to leave because they dared question the almighty BOD).

I think you're right here, too. I seriously doubt if there are any people left in the corps who are truly ministers and wanting honestly to help God's people. Those people were run off.

Exactly Belle. "I believe the "best of the best" saw through it all at some point and have left or been asked to leave 'uh I mean run off by the bless patrol, err, uh the WAYGB".

I never wanted to go into the corps because of the control of the "whole boot camp lifestyle". I knew I was too much of a rebel to be able to go through that kind of a program, (just asked my husband - shoot thats a whole 'nother thread anim-smile-blue.gif because I tend to fight any kind of control. That is why I admire those who did, and in some ways felt they were more commited than I. I know better than that now, because since I have been out of TWI, my relationship with God has grown much closer. It truly is a walk between HE and I, without a bunch of mediators in between. And I respect all of the "corps" who are out and STILL reaching out to people on these forums to help them. It is as if they have taken responsibility for heping those still in, see the truth. I think that is admirable. That tells me that they still care and have a "heart for people". As someone said before, some are still the same people (their pure heart to serve God) as when they entered the Way Corps.

diazbro - I understand what you are saying. That latter corps could be a real trip. TWI2 was all messed up.

One night in 2000 when I was at a STS and had brought a brand new person, a corps guy called me aside after the service. He said that he noticed that she was using a notepad that had cherubs on it. (This was more important than the fact the woman was taking notes). He wanted me to tell her not to bring it any more because "it gave off devilish vibes" in the auditorium. RED FLAG The first time this gal was at a fellowship she was reproved by the fellowship leader's wife for closing her bible before "the teacher" her husband closed his. RED FLAG

I could go on and on, but it was never my heart to make this a corp-bashing thread, as I am sure that is NOT what your are doing. You are merely expressing your experiences as you experienced them. I totally understand the bad taste in your mouth. Your truth is your truth.

I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who had the courage to stand up. I believe you "way corps" have also had a lot to do with others leaving, maybe because you didn't want folks to go through what you had to go through, when you saw it for what it was. Many of you saw it before me.

outofdafog