GreaseSpot Cafe

Blowing Off Leadership

ChasUFarley

Let's face it. There were some damn stupid rules we had to follow at times - especially if you were in TWI2. I especially hated how any "suggestion" that was made by leadership was to be considered "excathedra" (from God) and therefore had to carried out to the letter of the law. Leadership took itself way to seriously!

I blew off preparing for Y2K (unless a few extra groceries counts), and didn't always fill out the paperwork to go visit my mother in the next state (she was just 90 mins. away). I took an, "Ask-me-no-questions-and-I'll-tell-you-no-lies," standpoint. If I wasn't asked about it, I didn't volunteer the information.

Ironically, I never got caught - I did get in trouble for some things I did that leadership told me to do or was in the protocols they had set up!!!! (Boneheads!) At those times I did fight tooth-and-nail - of course, I was told I was being "defensive" when I tried to defend myself... (They could never consider that they had wrongly accused me and ....ed me off...)

As someone who was not a total conformist to every little thing that leadership wanted, I always enjoy a good story from others who dodged the rules and thought for themselves.

What did you do or know that others did to defy, dodge or even (hee hee) deceive?

Chazzy...

The last 5 or 6 years we were in we blew off a lot of "suggestions". Y2K just being one of them.

We were on the internet - and I was on ex-Way sites.

We had a mortgage. Heck, at one time we had 4 or 5 rental properties that all had mortgages on them. But we sorta forgot to tell anyone in TWI about them! Like you - we didn't volunteer any information that wasn't asked for.

It paid off when I blew off taking the newest version of the Advanced Class by waiting until the grace period for debt was over - and then I wasn't allowed to go because we had a mortgage!

Neither of my kids took LCM's WAP class (they were too young when PFAL was around). There was no way I was going to subject them to that freaky rubbish.

I think the reason John & I survived with most of our sanity in tact was because we did pretty much whatever we wanted to and just didn't talk about it to anyone in TWI.

Chas.....

Here is my favorite one of my escapades.

My interim year I was a wow in Rockford IL. My best corps girlfriend was in Janesville WI, less than an hour drive away, but we were forbidden by our respective limb guys to see each other.

In the spring of 1984, we decided we needed to go to HQ...of course, that wasnt even in the same region, let alone the same state. We planned it out.....threatened our wow families with a fate worse than death......she drove from Janesville to Rockford and picked me up!!!!

We drove to HQ and visited with our Interim Corps pals, and we finally got the nerve up to go over to the OSC. We were walking in the second floor, chatting with our pals, and Vince Finnegan walks by us. He glances our way and keeps on walking.....then stops dead.....comes back to us and asks us to accompany us to his office icon_eek.gif He knew both of us quite well.....so he knew that we should NOT be there.

He invited us to sit down in his office and explain why and how we got there. We told him our SPIRITUAL LIVES depended on us coming to HQ that weekend......and how good it was for us, and how GLAD we were to see him......

He took one look at us.......said, "ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND" and walked out of his office leaving us sitting there in the Trunk office. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

ROR icon_cool.gif

I got into trouble frequently too -- almost from the very start. My ex and I, and another married couple came from a Jesus Freak group and into twi -- asking more questions than they could (or would) answer.

The 4 of us took the class, went to twigs, but hung out with each other a lot discussing all the new stuff we were learning. We were always being reprimanded for one thing or another. B*ll M*rton was the guy who got us to all take the class (we were in his twig), and he was constantly being called on the carpet by J*hn Sc*tt for the *unruliness* of our twig.

I remember once -- the entire branch motored on over from southern Indiana to hdqtrs for a Sunday night service. J*hn Sc*tt wanted an orderly caravan, the entire way -- no one lagging behind. The four of us "miscreants" were all in one vehicle towards the end of the caravan (which had about 10 or so vehicles), and one of the ladies had to use the bathroom.

We pulled off the interstate to a gas station, figuring we would catch up quickly enough, and I saw it as a chance to refill my thermos of coffee as well. icon_cool.gif

Within 5 minutes - we were outta there, and hauling the proverbial a$s to catch up. Well -- we caught up all right. They had all pulled over at a rest stop, waiting for us, and we blew right by them at 70 per! Woops! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

We pulled over on the side of the interstate to wait for them, and pretty soon here they all came, and every last one of them pulled up behind us. We got a first class lecture right there on the shoulder of East bound I-70, about not following what *leadership* said. icon_frown.gif:(-->

At the end of Loy's reign, there were SO many "suggestions" that it was impossible to do them all. It was worse than trying to keep every little nit in the Mosaic law. At least those rules had logic in them. "Work every tape, magazine, teaching, syllabus, collateral, JCOPS, JCOP, etc, etc, etc. Blah, blah, blah..."

We actually tried to keep up then found out the local corps were doing WAY less than we were. End of that stupidity. Thus began another phase of pulling the plug on way-brain.

JT

After 8 months at Emporia, they sent me to Rome City for the final 4 months...where life was much easier. Where nobody cared if you ran or not...and there was food aplenty! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Every afternoon, I would sneak up into the attic and take a nap for an hour or two...I had this hidden spot icon_wink.gif;)-->

Of course, I got to know Bob Moneyhands a lot better...what a jerk.

I WISH I could have blown off leadership! My ex wouldn't even think about letting me. He watched me like a hawk to make sure I didn't get us in trouble.

dmiller, I'm am having to clean my screen off after reading your post! I can just see y'all whizzing by the caravan sitting on the side of the road peeved because you broke rank. I wonder how many people were wishing they were in your car.

JT, you got that right! I would almost have preferred OT times to the legalism of TWI. Only thing is, we DID try to do them all. I eventually gave up, but it was painful watching my husband getting by on maybe 4 hours of sleep because he was spending so much time trying to do everything required of us. Whenever I tried I got sick and was in bed for days, besides, it just wasn't that important to me.

UH, you rebel you!!

My favorite "blow off" was to go "witnessing" with someone who was as not into going witnessing as I was - especially if it was mall witnessing!

There were a few people in my area in MA who thought that the confontational style of witnessing was as bad a way to witness as I did - (If you never had the pleasure, it's where you write 3 or 4 scriptures about debt or homo being wrong and walk up to a stranger and ask them what they think about the subject. Then you slap 'em with the card with the scriptures on it. I NEVER saw fruit from this - no matter who did it!)

Anyhow, we'd turn the time into a fun time - ice cream, window shopping and chat-chat-chat - it was recreational! If leadership was in the area, I'd strike up a conversation with a clerk about something (Nice weather, eh?) Then, we'd get back to the meeting place and bitch about how unmeek people were that day... HA!

Mall witnessing rocked!

We only started blowing off leadership when I went back to collage. My wife had to fend off the "why isn't your husband at fellowship" question all the time. She responded that the requirements for a student were to have to only go to fellowship once a week, and since I was a student, thats what I was doing. We got grief for that, because some idiot thought it meant only for kids in collage, not us adults (I was 41 when I returned). What a bunch of morons!

Hey Chas, BTW, we'll be moving back to NH in May! We can't wait to GTFOOB. (Get the F*&^ out of Buffalo!)