GreaseSpot Cafe

Communion

Cindy!

i partake of communion when offered at church.  Can't say I particularly enjoy it.  A crispy wafer and a sip of delicious wine.  But so formal. 

In my opinion, eating and drinking in recognition should be done at every meal.  In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

I don't think it was instituted as an annual event, but as a daily one.  People drank weak wine or weak beer because it was cleansed in the fermentation process, as opposed to water which could be contaminated. Bread (flatbread) was commonly used at every meal.  We are to recognise daily what the Lord has accomplished for us. 

A meal with family and friends is, IMO, what and where the Lord intended us to celebrate his accomplishments.  Most Christians reduce this to "grace" or "giving thanks" before they eat their main meal each day.  

I, also, partake of communion when offered at church. I didn’t have religious rituals growing up, even though my mother is a devout Christian - possibly the least divisive person I’ve ever known.

I was in many a wedding party of my Catholic and Episcopalian friends. The rituals, including communion, intrigued me, probably because they were so novel to me in my early twenties.  I grew to appreciated the meditative discipline. I remember them fondly. They don’t mean anything to me, but I don’t begrudge their practice.

HOWEVER, I never felt “spiritually” or religiously extorted by communion until I partook of the wierwillian version. It’s subtle, but real. It’s control through fear. It’s outlined in the final paragraph of someone’s long post up thread. It’s the same old story. And it is wicked.

Bless their little, hard, black hearts.