GreaseSpot Cafe

Help!-Need help with footer in Word

waterbuffalo

Hey, Linda, if you're on, or anyone else who can help me, I have a question about footnotes if you're up for helping a rookie writer out with a few pointers. I can't seem to get them to stay in place--the flush rights and the flush lefts on the same line keep moving with each other and won't stay still.

They're not really footnotes, anyway, I'm just trying to put information in the footer, 3 lines flush left and 3 lines flush right.

Does anyone know how to do this (am I clear as mud?) Thanks!

Edited by waterbuffalo

When you're in Word, on the menu at the top go to "View" - "Header and Footer" - a new toolbar should pop on the screen - Click on the icon to switch to the footer (on my toolbar, it's the 4th from the right - looks like a page with a yellow box on the top and bottom of it) - In the footer section:

Type what you want on Line 1 Flush Left

Hit the tab button twice and it should move the cursor to the far right side of the Footer box

Type what you want on Line 1 Flush Right

Hit Enter

It should take you to the 2nd line of the Flush Left side of the Footer. Follow the steps above again for the 2nd and 3rd lines of the footer.

Hopefully this makes sense!

Belle,

That's wat I was doing but the text that is flush right wraps to the second line because apparently it has 3 too many letters to stay on the first line. When I backspace, it just tabs over to center, then when I flush right it with the icon, it drags the flush left text with it.

How do I separate the two?

Hmmmmm...... I just typed in a sentence trying to replicate your problem, but mine just keeps going off the page. I'm in 97 - I wonder if you're in a different version.

Have you tried clicking on the Page Setup icon on the tool bar and decreasing the margin from the edge of the page? You can access it through the Header and Footer toolbar or from File - Page Setup - Margins Tab.

I hope this helps!! icon_smile.gif:)-->

WB-

Many options for this one --

1. You can hit return where you might want a line to break so the left & right footers don't run together.

2. The other thing you can adjust is your margins - go into page set up and tinker with your left & right margins - you can also move where you want your footers to hit. Don't go below 0.33", as most printers won't print outside that for a margin...

3. You could also format your font to be smaller or just use a different font - Ariel Narrow would probably work nicely and should be on your version of Word...

Hope this helps....

There's an easier way to set the line on a page -

On the toolbar there's an icon for borders - it should look like a box with a cross in it and there's a little dropdown menu arrow on the right of the tool icon. If you click on the arrow it will show you what lines you can place in your document (left border, right border, border on all four sides, etc.,) select the one that looks like an underscore line. It will place a line in your document that will be in the parameters of the margins that you had set for your document.

It would look something like this: