GreaseSpot Cafe

Stupid Laws.......

outofdafog

- Florida:

1. Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.

2. A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.

3. If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

4. It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.

5. Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.

6. Any form of sexual contact other than missionary position is a misdomeanor. (This is still a law. There have been several cases of people being brought up on these charges in the past 5 years alone. If the police enter a home with a warrent for some other crime and catch the 'culprits' in action, they can, and are, brought up on those charges.)

may have somethig to do with the fact that their L.C. is a penis...

OHIO LAWS

It is illegal to fish for a whale on Sundays

It is illegal to get a fish drunk

It is unlawful to eat a donut and walk backwards on a city street

It is illegal for a woman to strip off her clothes in front of a man's picture

A policeman may bite a dog to quiet him

It is illegal for 5 women to live in a house

No one may be aressted on Sunday or the 4th of July

I have a friend who went to a catholic HS who said he was taught that bit about patent leather shoes by a nun. He also said girls had to wear long sleeved shirts all the time because if they wore short sleeved shirts then every time the girl would raise their hand to answer a question a guy sitting on either side of her could look and see her bra. Not to be outdone, girls were not to use white blankets on a picnic because a white blanket would remind a guy of bed sheets and he'd want to go all the way. I'm surprised some of those people ever left their houses.

quote:
Originally posted by outofdafog:

johniam - too funny

There is another law in Ohio that states that a woman cannot wear patent leathered shoes on Sunday. The "legislators" were afraid that men would be able to see a "reflection" of her underwear on her shoes.

There was a charming book (over thirty years old now) called "The Last Catholic in America." It had a sequel (which I didn't read) called "Do Patent Leather Pumps Really Reflect Up?" (or something like that). Frankly, it was easier just standing next to a puddle (same effect, broader view)! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

George

I've heard that in the state of Vermont, it is illegal to whistle under water.

I don't know if this one has ever been repealed, but when I was growing up in Maryland, it was perfectly legal to steal something from someone IF you left behind the "dud" that you were replacing (ie. burned out lightbulb, torn up couch, broken TV set, depleted battery, mangled fender, bald tire, worn out horse, etc...) and didn't get caught in the process of stealing it.

In MD, it was also permissible to beat your wife with a rod no longer than 12 inches in length. Obviously, that one is either repealed, or no longer enforced.

Technobyte

Though not particularly zany, Texas has had some dumb laws.

Until a few years ago, it was legal to drink while driving, though it was illegal to drive while drunk. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> I suppose that if a policeman saw you chugging Jack Daniels while driving, it might have been considered probable cause for a sobriety test. (This is in contrast to Illinois, where (at least when I was growing up 30 years ago) it was illegal to drive with a bottle of booze IN THE TRUNK, if its seal was broken.)

To try to save Mom 'n Pop stores from losing all their business to the big chains that were open all weekend, it was illegal to buy all sorts of items on Sunday. (Technically, the wording was that the item could not be sold on a consecutive Saturday and Sunday. It was just easier for merchants not to sell on Sunday.) I still remember getting furnishings for my apartment. I could buy trash can liners, but not a trash can! banghead.gif Though mostly repealed now, there is still one "blue law": auto dealers can't be open on both Saturday and Sunday. (A lot of them get around this by having more than one location and allowing you to "virtually" shop the location that's closed.)

George