GreaseSpot Cafe

Obesity Threatens Military Readiness

Stayed Too Long

Unfit For Combat

"The pool of recruits who meet physical qualifications are shrinking as young people grow fatter. In the past 20 years, the percentage of overweight children has tripled, and the waist size of 18- to 22-year-old soldiers has grown 2 inches.

"That's our Nintendo generation," said Col. Karl Friedl, also of the Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine."

It looks like those who do not want to send our troops overseas to fight will get their way after all. If current obesity treads continue we will have a hard time recruiting sufficient healthy men and woman to protect the United States.

LOL

Since when does the military need to recruit only physically fit kids?

They just have to be healthy, nobody cares if they can run or march or do push-ups. Part of the purpsoe of bootcamp is to get them into shape.

We accept weak out-of-shape homesick kids all the time.

:-)

What Galen said is true.

However, If someone were to join the Army, It would be in there best interest to be able to do 50 push ups, 50 situps, be able to run at least 3 miles and meet the height and weight standards before going to basic training.

quote:
Originally posted by Galen:

LOL

Since when does the military need to recruit only physically fit kids?

They just have to be healthy, nobody cares if they can run or march or do push-ups. Part of the purpsoe of bootcamp is to get them into shape.

We accept weak out-of-shape homesick kids all the time.

While it is true boot camp will get recruits in shape. they have to stay in good conditon through out their hitch. or be dishcharged. Even as a member of the Air National Guard I had to weigh in twice a year. They knew my height and set the scale for the maximum weight I could weigh. If the scales tipped it was time for the fat boy program.

It was no fun being required to loose pounds. Weigh ins and counseling all the time. I don't remember the time period to loose the unwanted pounds, but it was discharge time if the pounds did not come off.

Stayed Too Long:

"While it is true boot camp will get recruits in shape. they have to stay in good conditon through out their hitch. or be dishcharged. Even as a member of the Air National Guard I had to weigh in twice a year. They knew my height and set the scale for the maximum weight I could weigh. If the scales tipped it was time for the fat boy program.

It was no fun being required to loose pounds. Weigh ins and counseling all the time. I don't remember the time period to loose the unwanted pounds, but it was discharge time if the pounds did not come off."

Did it for 20+ years.

Required [in theory] to work-out aerobically three times a week [no weight lifting].

Height/weight charts and than if you were even close to your limit, you got tape-measured to calculate your exact body-fat percentages.

The Navy has limits on how many push-ups, sit-ups, and how fast you run a 1.5 mile.

Limits on height/weight, and a limit on allowed body-fat percentage.

Miss it and you go onto 'Mandotory' fat-boy program, of daily supervised work-outs and at sea the cooks observe that you go onto a limited calary diet. Weekly wiegh-ins, and progress meetings, you restricted from getting the higher personal evaluation marks [so you will not be recommended for advancement], and your actually restricted from advancement so long as you remain on the fat-boy program. If after 6 months you have not gotten off the program, then you are processed out of the Navy.

I have seen many get thrown out for just such reasoning.

I don't think the article is suggesting that the military services cannot work with out-of- shape youth just that they are noting that on the average they are more out of shape than before which is no surprise.

But in any case there is a growing (no pun intended) obesity problem and I know its not terribly PC to say it but people need to quit eating crappy stuff and exercise - if for no other reason than to teach their children good habits. One would think that maintaining solid personal health is sufficient motivation to keep in shape but its not. People drink 6 beers a night, eat ice cream, get burgers for lunch, and eat with the intensity of a drunk roman on any and all holidays... And then later they complain about being fat ?!?!

Fitness and health are like gifts that you give to yourself. And its the gift that keeps on giving - to you and your spouse. Give them something nice to look at. I'm not talking about being a steroid body builder or a silicon enhanced beach bunny. I'm talking about basic "fitness". Obviously being fit will make you look better but its the enhanced quality of life that is the real winnder. More energy, better sleep, better sex, longer life. Whats not to like about that ? I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir but the public at large appears to resent being told that exercise should be a priority.

Every one is busy. No one is any busier than another yet thats the most frequently given excuse out there. "I don't have time" but those who are in the gym or walking/jogging in their neighborhoos are busy too. They have kids, jobs, go to school also. We are all older. maybe some trick knees or sore shoulders but a person can work around those. I don't know at what point it became "cool" for people to walk around shopping malls in work out clothes (because they don't have anything else that fits them) eating a triple scoop chocolate sugar cone , but I guess thats okay for lots of people....

quote:
diazbro quote:

I don't think the article is suggesting that the military services cannot work with out-of- shape youth just that they are noting that on the average they are more out of shape than before which is no surprise.

The fact is the military will not work with out-of-shape youth past a certain point. They will give them the opportunity to get their weight down in a given period of time, but if that is not accomplished, it is back into civilian life.

quote:
diazbr quote:

But in any case there is a growing (no pun intended) obesity problem and I know its not terribly PC to say it but people need to quit eating crappy stuff and exercise - if for no other reason than to teach their children good habits. One would think that maintaining solid personal health is sufficient motivation to keep in shape but its not. People drink 6 beers a night, eat ice cream, get burgers for lunch, and eat with the intensity of a drunk roman on any and all holidays... And then later they complain about being fat ?!?!

Many are working to get obesity classified as a mental illness. Some even want to have obese people classified as a minority. That way individuals will not be responsible for over eating, and can blame it on someone or some past event that happened in their lives.

Sharon, I just have to say, that is totally AWESOME !!!

At one time I had a considerable amount of weight to lose and it was people like you with their stories and the before and after pictures that inspired me to lose it all. Also a pair of faded old blue jeans (Levi 501's, the button down ones to be exact) that I tacked up on my wall to remind me everyday. I did reach my goal with lots of hard work and now I feel fantastic!!

There is hardly a day that goes by if I'm not out for a run and free weights every other day. I'm not one of these muscle bound people but I am in pretty good shape and I worked hard for it. Not only have I reaped all the benefits that Diazbro mentioned but talk about a great stress releaser.

So Sharon I just wanted to tell you you have every right to be so proud of yourself, I know it's not easy but it sure is worth it!!!!!

Cowgirl

Edited by Cowgirl

quote:
Originally posted by diazbro:

Part of the problem that people can't really do much about is the content of their food. You mentioned eating burgers, but did you know that eating a salad from McDonalds is less healthy than eating a big mac? Are you aware of how much the portions have increased at restaurants, to the point where a single serving is now the size of what an entire family used to eat at many places?

I have researched this stuff like crazy lately, and I think it's helping me a lot. The food industry in general is just as bad now, if not worse, than what was described in "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. The quality of our food is really horrible and the things that people do in the name of profit is sick and they should probably be shot for giving us the stuff to eat that they give us (by this I mean what is found at restaurants, stores, etc.)

I'm a big fan of organic foods now, but even that is not tightly regulated. It's just better on average. I also prefer to buy meat that is range fed and not slaughtered by the big companies because they work more slowly and are less likely to drop my food in a pool of blood and feces, and they are less likely to decapitate their coworkers and leave their blood and guts in the food.

Of course, there's also exercise, which if people would just go take a 30 minute walk around their neighborhoods or at a park every day, they would see a big improvement from that alone (even better to go to a gym.)

Well exercise and sensible eating is the proverbial 1-2 punch. It works and it would be next to impossible for it not to. Dieting alone leads to some weight loss but the person regains some measure of the lost weight upon cessation of the diet. In my my mind thats not what I want. I don't want to look good just for some wedding or reunion, I want a continual state of fitness (or as close as I can get to it).

I've seen some people in the gym who have turned it all around though. Some were considering gastric bypass but gave exercise and diet a shot. It wasn't easy. They had to start out with baby steps. Like water aerobics and then onto regular aerobics and then basic resistance training. Some of these people hadn't exercised in 25 years or more. But they did it so I give them lots of credit for having the courage.

But for the average joe or jolene on the street who has just the middle age spread, well that can be dealt with quite effectively and relatively quickly with the diet & exercise combo. It becomes a question of priorities and interest.

Like many guys I recall one day in looking in the mirror at my growing love handles (lots of love I might add) and wondering if I was just going to give up and start "accepting it". Thank God I didn't. I don't see myself like that so I wanted to deal with it. Again I stress I'm not going for the steroid freak look just the solidly in shape look with an emhpasis on the cardio vascular health. Its good for you, your spouse , and is a good example for the kids.

diazbro:

"Well exercise and sensible eating is the proverbial 1-2 punch."

In the context of military, I have seen the effects of what happens when the cooks are aware of who is on the 'fat-boy' program and they have been directed to limit your calorie intake. It does seem to work well.

When I have really seem guys with terrible issues in controlling their weight has most often been the shift-workers. Not being allowed to eat at regular scheduled meal-times, working 18 hour shifts [18 on, 6 off and repeat]; or working 3 days straight, with one day 'down-time' to sleep. those have been when the biggest issues with weight control really seemed to be big issues. The in-ability to sit down for the required 15 minutes to eat, stuffing your face anytime you can manage to run through the messdecks [like running a replacement part between a store-room and a machine-shop so you grab a handfull of biskets as you walk by the steam-line and stuff them in your pocket to eat while walking.

I have known a few men who blamed their weight issues on the food, everything being deep-fat-fried. Sometimes I have been at commands where eventually we were able to convince the Supply Department to begin offering 'healthier' foods. But realizing that you just can not get anything 'fresh', there are not many alternatives.

The lack of salads has always been an issue, and I am not sure how helpfull that powdered milk really is. Rarely do you see any fresh vegatables or fruits. Lots of sugary-sticky buns though.

I have been told that on Air-Craft-Carriers they even have 2 - 3 corporate fast-food outlets, so no shortage of junk food. Now that they put ATMs onboard, it is a good bet that a lot of pay-check money never leaves the ship.

Our eldest son had issues of bad reactions to so much lard and MSG. He complained a lot that everything 'cooked' tasted of MSG and left the greasey slimy feel of lard in his throat and gave him stomach spasms. I suspect that his reaction was more to the Potasium Nitrates. He had real problems as they just dont give troops very long to eat, by the time you can finally sit down, it is time to run out again. But I recommended that during his 15 minutes in the mess hall for each meal, that he focus on the canned peaches and pears and maybe drink a few raw eggs [No cutting, no chewing, no waiting in line for anything to be cooked, and you can eat a large part of it before you even sit down]. This seemed to help him.

Yes well the demands of a controlled shift can drastically impact one's eating habits - no doubt. There have been plenty of times when burning the midnight oil or dealing with a life situation have completely edged out any thoughts of nutrition and exercise and its only natural that this occurs. But I think the key is to keep "going back" to the healthy lifestyle in an attempt to make it the default. Once that habit is formed its far more easier to get back into shape after periods of imposed inactivity or highy demanding work that leaves little opportunity for exercise or sane food choices.

People in institutional settings suffer because of a food quality issue. Its not like they can complain to the chef and expect something better but hopefully this situation is temporary and the person can do the best they can until they arrive into a setting where they have more control over their food choices and can find more time to exercise.

I had to travel a great deal last year and I found myself gravitating towards calisthenic routines that are very effective and can be accomplished in hotel rooms without the need for equipment. They weren't as good as a normal gym based workout but they did the job while I was waiting for my schedule to lighten up. I wouldn't have wanted to go 6 months without doing something so I did what I could.

Part of the reason I take this all so seriously is because some years ago I was out of commission for a long time. I was really ill so its the classic realization that one shouldn't take health for granted. Well I can't say that I don't. After all. We don't want to walk around fearing what might happen to us next and we do want to enjoy good eating and some fine wine or beer or whatever it might be that one likes. But I really don't think I want to suffer like I did before when I was sick. Being physically able and vital is important because it provides confidence. Sure. Your esteem and confidence should also come from other sources (spiritual, relationship, intellect) but as I've said before - being fit is a gift and the person is the recipient. Its a good feeling. After all we have to live in the body we were born into so might as well make it a nice place to live.

quote:
Many are working to get obesity classified as a mental illness. Some even want to have obese people classified as a minority. That way individuals will not be responsible for over eating, and can blame it on someone or some past event that happened in their lives.

Yeah, like the fast food restaurants!?

quote:

For the record I know, I weighed 295lbs in Jan. of 2004, now I weigh 105, hard hard work..much easier to eat ice cream.

Now when I ask my husband if my but looks fat, he doesn't have to lie.

That's inpirational Sharon! At one time I needed to loose 10 lbs, which on a woman who is almost 5'10" is not a big deal. Now I need to loose 20 lbs, its getting to be a big deal now! icon_frown.gif:(-->

gc

Ron G.:

"I don't understand why obesity is such a problem.

If they're like me, they HAVE to stand and fight cuz they're too fat to run."

LOL

Only a very small portion of the military will ever be in a combat zone, carrying weapons and put into the situation of needing to 'fight or run'.

Many are Machinist-Mates down in the belly of a huge steal monster, or Air-crew whose craft may fly over combat zones but their focused on operating a computer, or storekeepers who load and unload warehouses and track logistics, or ...

Only a very small percentage of my career was spent carrying a weapon [14 years in the submarine community and 6 years as an MP], and most of my Law Enforement time was divided between: standing at a gate checking ID cards and searching vehicles, or responding to crime scenes and doing preliminary investigations [traffic accidents, burglerys, rapes, deaths, etc]. From 20+ years in uniform, I spent 6 years carrying weapons /wearing armor, of that I was only in a combat zone for 3 years, and only 'under enemy fire' for less than 1 year [a couple months here, a couple months there, a week somewhere else, etc]. By the time I did that, I was already an old man, grey hair and old enough to have grandchildren. Most of the MPs that worked for me were young enough to have been my children.

quote:
Originally posted by Galen:

Many are Machinist-Mates down in the belly of a huge steal monster, or Air-crew whose craft may fly over combat zones but their focused on operating a computer, or storekeepers who load and unload warehouses and track logistics, or ...

I've been on Navy vessels of various types before, and it is horrible at my height without being fat. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to get around if I were 300 pounds.

P-Mosh:

"I've been on Navy vessels of various types before, and it is horrible at my height without being fat. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to get around if I were 300 pounds."

Over-heads are designed at 5'11". So being 5'10" I never had any problems running through passageways. But I could feel it when I needed a hair-cut.

Carrying coffee for four other watch-standers going one way, someone else is carrying an arm load of spare parts going the other way; I slide my back along my right-hand side bulkhead and he slides his along the other bulkhead, as we pass each other we both suck in our bellys and our bellys graze across each other. There is no need to even slow down, once you get used to it.

But when some guy has a big belly, or even worse is when some idiot likes to 'body build'. You just can't get around those guys. Big bellys are bad for sub crews, but body-builders are worse. They cant hold their arms to their sides, they can't hold their legs together, and they get broad across the shoulder, nobody else can fit in the same passageway. Every boat I was on, had a full weight set onboard. Nice pretty brand new weights and bellbar. Welded in place. The sonarmen didn't want the weights to be dropped on the deck. and everyone else did not want to try and fit past a body-builder in any passageway. So the weights were always welded down.

Reminds me, on one sub movie they show a cook spraying 'Pam' on the handrails of a ladder, so the XO can't use the ladder. I have seen lubs put onto handrails of ladders, it does make for fun to watch.

P-Mosh:

"At 6'4" it is a bit difficult for me."

Then it is a good thing that you did not serve on boats.

Most watch stations often have some spot in the middle of the room where there is a break in the lighting and ducting so that the tall guys can stand right thing in that one spot and they can stand up straight.