GreaseSpot Cafe

A matter of perspective

Mister P-Mosh

blue_dot_010925_03.jpg

See this? This is where you live. This is a photograph (sort of) of our planet about four billion miles away. Everything that we know of has pretty much happened there. That little blue dot, which is not even the size of a speck of dust in the grand scheme of things, is where our wars are fought, our love is found, we live, and we die. It's very humbling to realize how insignificant of things we are in the grand scheme of things. We're just a fleeting subatomic blip on the universe's radar. I'd like to hope that someday, we as a species can accomplish something worthy of being noticeable in such a huge place, but sometimes I think it's not likely to happen.

In any case, whenever you start to feel overwhelmed by whatever problems life throws at you, take a look at this photo and realize that your problems are not eternal, nor are they even big. Life itself is a tiny thing, so we should make it as big as we can for the small amount of time we have on this little speck of dust we call home.

I agree with you on everything but the insignificant part. I hear that we are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things a lot in some of the circles perhaps a number of us run in. While I see the point, I would say that life itself is very significant. Just saying that, is something that nothing else in the universe can do. That is pretty amazing. What are the odds...and here we are. But in a blink all you know and all you are could be gone and you will just be another unfelt, unheard, speck of a speck on a microbe floating in space. So be felt, be heard, and be humble.

Edited by lindyhopper

quote:
Originally posted by GarthP2000:

Gotten from the book "Pale Blue Dot" by Carl Sagan, no doubt?

Great book to read, as are all of his books.

icon_cool.gif

It was inspired by that, but Sagan said it quite a bit differently. Still, his books have helped me see things very differently than when I was in TWI.

quote:
Originally posted by lindyhopper:

I agree with you on everything but the insignificant part. I hear that we are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things a lot in some of the circles perhaps a number of us run in. While I see the point, I would say that life itself is very significant.

Well, our lives do have value, but what I mean is that we don't have much of an effect on the universe. Our greatest accomplishments as human beings have simply been small steps towards something bigger that we will hopefully one day do.

quote:
Originally posted by lindyhopper:

Just saying that, is something that nothing else in the universe can do. That is pretty amazing. What are the odds...and here we are. But in a blink all you know and all you are could be gone and you will just be another unfelt, unheard, speck of a speck on a microbe floating in space. So be felt, be heard, and be humble.

We don't know that we're the only ones here, and odds are we're not alone in the universe at all. We're just beginning to be able to see some planets in other solar systems, which increases the odds for life elsewhere. Not only that, but we're faced with the possibility of finding some live on other places in our own solar system. Mars still has potential, as does one of the moons of Jupiter named Europa. We'll have to see what we can find in the future.

I also agree with you on the part where you say to be heard. It is more important to do something that means something with your life than to simply live day by day accomplishing nothing for yourself. As tiny and short-lived as we are, we have to do something.