GreaseSpot Cafe

My first web site...

ChasUFarley

I have a small business on the side doing graphic design. Most of what I've done in the past is for printing but I recently had a client who wanted a web site. Not knowing what I was getting myself into, I said, "Sure. When do you want it?"

So here's the final result after learning the software, uploading it, tinkering with it, etc.:

http://www.catsinthecradlesoap.com

Let me know what you think... (Just remember, I'm not responsible for the content.) I know some of you do this for a living (I did it to pay the oil bill but maybe someday I can do more and be a SAHM...)

Thanks!

Nicely done. The "New York Times" thingy doesn't quite render correctly with Mozilla/Netscape. You'll want to install Mozilla (and Opera) on your machine so you can verify your page renders properly on all of the popular browsers.

I LOVE Shea Butter products!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I don't know much about website design, but it looks good to me. I would like to see the price of the products with the descriptions, but that's just a personal preference and has nothing to do with the site design.

Make sure she gives you a cut off the GSpot sales she'll be getting! wink2.gif;)-->

Wacky - No, I just designed the site. I don't make the soap but I can always smell it cooking whenever Chris, the owner of Cats In The Cradle Soaps, is making it. Anything she ever brings to our house from her house smells like soap! She started the business to support her cat acquisition habit and it just took off from there. I've been helping her with marketing - good people, good product, but a little stuck the last century.... (might not be a bad place to be, really....)

Jim - Thanks for the note - I'll see what I can do. I'm still on a learning curve with it. The software I used (can you believe this) was freeware. I started working with it just for fun and ended up liking it. It was very user friendly and although I doubt I'll use it for another site, I found it to have some great features that I wouldn't have expected from freeware. I'm now working with Dreamweaver.

I just finished registering the site with Google and Yahoo. I hope that an increase in her business will result in an increase in my business. Now I just have to do my own website! (And I just got a job for a second website for a college! YIPPEE!)

Edited by ChasUFarley

Steve - I don't mind... I've been working for them for a little while now doing design jobs here and there, like an alumni directory, etc. Their contact knew I was getting into web design and we just went from there.

I started doing graphic design on my WOW vet year in Nashville. I had a couple who worked together at home take me under their wing and teach me the ropes. That was on a Mac, tho. I learned that there's work to be had but it's really WHO U KNOW, ya know? Anyhow, I'm hoping it's the start of something big...

...unless I win Megabucks...

It's a very nice site, ChasUFarley! I just made my first site with front page. Only 1 graphic and no shopping cart.

I had someone approach me about 4 years ago and insist that we barter for a site. She did a beautiful job. She didn't have time to get her barter back and I don't make enough money from people calling after the site to justify paying for the schedule change.

So I may drop her site and use the one I made. Just need to add a schedule page and keep tweaking it.

I want to eventually have a newsletter and a few other features that change monthly. I would also like to add some pictures of myself and pictures of Tom and I. I even thought a wedding page would be fun!

Thanks for sharing your site!

Unless you have your website e-commerce section custom made and/or putting it to serious use, you don't have to spend much money on a 'shopping cart' site. There are websites out there that can process your orders and provide related services for a very reasonable amount. Cafepress.com is one well known example.

Hope this helps.