GreaseSpot Cafe

By works or By grace?

quote:
Maybe I am too 'PFAL'ish, but I see our Salvation is being through Grace, The Grace of Our Heavenly Father and not of works.

I also see a place for the works. The crowns and rewards are in terms of works.

Grace gets you in the door, Works determines where you sit once you get in the door.

I have always believed this. icon_cool.gif And btw -- twi is not the only *outfit* running around out there, promoting such.

I've run across several groups who teach that salvation is totally by grace, yet the works come into play in order to receive rewards, and hearing "Well done, thou good and faithful servant".

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
If your goals are orientated toward "Getting a crown" you probably won't, in my estimation.

My goals have never been oriented at getting crowns. They have been oriented to doing good to others in need -- in other words -- practicing what I *preach*.

I have never been in it for *eternal avarice*. And while that thought never crosses my mind when I try to help someone out (regardless of how it may be), I do recognize the fact that God will honor my efforts, to do as He wishes.

Recognizing something promised, versus using that as a goal, are two different things.

And CW --- I have NEVER heard that theory of receiving rewards, so that we can give them back as gifts!! icon_eek.gif

(That's a new one to me). icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

David

quote:
Originally posted by CoolWaters:

White Dove,

I must be extremely dense today because I'm not seeing a point to what you are saying.

Explain, please?

Ok

Believing in simple terms is receiving information and processing that information and accepting it as true. most often it happes very quickly in micro seconds sometimes it requires a length of time to sort it out and decide.

Example: I may say LOOK OUT!! there is a car headed for you. Most likely in micro seconds you will respond by moving because you believed me. I would hardly say that the few seconds that it took to decide to move would be considered works.

Like wise to believe in Biblical or Spiritual situations works the same. You Receive information and discern it to be true and act accordingly if applicable. The micro seconds used to accept that a bit of information from God is true can hardly be considered as works. God gave us brains to use I don't think that that is what the Bible speaks of as works.

I was messin with you but the point my failed humor attemt was that if thinking (Believing) was really work as you say then I am working way too hard each day. I may as well get a job just sitting around thinking but I really doubt that anyone would see that as work. What do you think? I thought that since you thought that believing was works maybe you would like to hire me to do some thinking (Believing) for you. you could tell me things and I could believe them.

Yes it is grace that God tells us anything. But accepting what he says to be true (Believing) could hardly be considered as works. I realize that there is a micro second of effert to proces his words but I realy think that is a strech to call works....

OK, White Dove, I getcha now! Thanks!

People do get paid lots of money just for thinking...but that's not what you're talking about, is it? wink2.gif;)-->

As you present things, no, believing is not works. But how you present it above is not how it was presented in twi, is it? wink2.gif;)-->

It was absolutely taught in piffle that one could go throughout the bible finding all of the promises of God, name them and then claim them if their 'believing' was there. It was absolutely taught in piffle that since it was said in 'the word' then it was 'available' and, therefore, God didn't need to actually tell anybody a second time...if one's believing was there.

Just because something is written in the bible does not mean it is equal to being activated in our lives.

Piffle taught Believing=Receieving...and, conversely, twi went on to say that if one is not receiving, oh, let's say healing, for example, then one is not believing enough.

This is where it became works...that little word 'enough'.

Or to put it another way twi said things...believing is an action word, so what are you doing to bring it to pass?

Or, another twi way of putting things...God said, I believe it, that settles it.

Always, always, always there was something more one had to do if one was not receiving 'the promises of God'.

It was never OK to say with people like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

It was never OK to trust that regardless of one's 'receiving', one was still in the 'will of God'...because twi always equated the 'will of God' to the grace of God.

Do you see?

Reminds me of the country song "Some of God's Greatest Gifts are Unanswered Prayers"

We were taught about the cookie jar and paid for Mountain Top Checkbooks. We were told we could demand red curtains. It never hurts to ask, but to demand as we were taught in TWI, was wrong. To be taught that if God didn't "come through" we weren't believing enough or we weren't "in alignment and harmony" was even worse.

Yep I would agree believing is not a formula or a law. That influence I think can be traced back to Norman Vincent Peal. Ken Copeland basicly is teaching the same today. It is true that God was made into a vending machine where we were able to deposit the right coins so to speak and pull the knob to get what we wanted. Like a machine He was required to automaticly give up the bag of chips. I do think despite ourselves He did it anyway when He could because He loved us.

Seems I can't help but keep but continue to post here...

Thinking of works. Not everyone's calling is a spiritual one imo. Some are just simply to be who they are. Professionally or otherwise.

Saved by Grace-Yes

Works vary greatly according to the individual.

We are all saved-

1 Timothy 4:9This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation. 10For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

John 1:29The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

We can just be ourselves and live and love and let the Lord work in us and others as He pleases. And not worry about it ya know?

Titus 3:8This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

To those that believe we are encouraged to maintain good works because we see how great the Grace of God is and could easily stray from doing that which is right. To not let our faith be dead but alive because we do good works which are as variable as each person is.

quote:
For me the proof is in the pudding. While I was in TWI I was starving despite trying to "believe" correctly and live the "Word" they taught. Now I have more pudding than I know what to do with since I've changed my "believing".

I just got one question Mr. Floyd wanted me to ask you.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR MEAT?!