GreaseSpot Cafe

Childish adults....

outofdafog

We were "mark and avoid" in Feb of 2000. My 15 year old daughter works in a restaurant and the other day the wife of the HFC who was in the meeting when we were "kicked out" came into the restaurant. She was waiting at the door and no one was waiting on her so my daughter (who recognized her - it has been 5 years) gave her a menu. She stated she wanted to get a to go order of dessert. At the time my daughter didn't figure she recognized her. About 5 minutes later she walked up to my daughter, and called her by her first name and stated that there were no deserts listed in the menu. Other than acknowledging her name, she never once spoke to my child during the entire event. For some reason no one was waiting on her, so after about 10 minutes my daughter went and told a waitress that the woman needed to place an order.

I was so proud of my daughter. The 50+ year old woman acted like a child, and my child acted like the adult. She rose above the childish Way mentality. She was a busser that night and she could have just ignored her and gone about her work, but she chose to take the high road. The kicker, this woman is a teacher and a librarian in our area. Someone who you would think would treat any child equally and caringly. What a bunch of horse poo poo.

This incident reminded me of the time my other daughter went on 2 Canadian trips with her music teacher and of course all the other kids. One of the women in this same fellowship was the music assistant at the high school and would be attending as a chaperone. We had already been "booted" and the music teacher would never again talk to my child as per the directions of the above mentioned woman in the restaurant.

This concerned me as a parent, that this assistant was going as a chaperone. What if my child were in trouble and this was the only person to help her. Would she help her or pretend she didn't exist? I think any parent would be equally concerned. So I took my concerns to the choir director and told him that we had been "ostracized" from this teachers "church" (I spoke in non-way terms, so he could understand). That it was the Way's policy when someone is mark and avoid to do just that. He spoke to that assistant about my concerns and he assured me that if she allowed her religious dogma to interfere with the safety of my child, that she would certainly be held accountable for it. And he said he let her know that in no uncertain terms. That made me feel more comforted about the trip and more adult in the way I handled it then the way they do. These adult teachers should be ashamed of themselves....

quote:
So I took my concerns to the choir director and told him that we had been "ostracized" from this teachers "church" (I spoke in non-way terms, so he could understand). That it was the Way's policy when someone is mark and avoid to do just that. He spoke to that assistant about my concerns and he assured me that if she allowed her religious dogma to interfere with the safety of my child, that she would certainly be held accountable for it. And he said he let her know that in no uncertain terms.

All right! Good for him (and you).

It's a shame that a chaperone is needed for the chaperones. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

That was the hardest lesson for me when I graduated from college....finding out that adults act worse than kids sometimes.

Even more pitiful is that TWI adults have perfected it to an art. Pathetic that they treat kids like that. Teachers of all people should not hold kids responsible for "the sins of the fathers" (not that y'all sinned in any way!). I mean if you're so low and so juvenile that you're gonna treat someone like .... do it to the adults.

Good for your daughter!! She's obviously had a very good example in her life of taking the high road, acting with integrity and catching flies with honey. icon_smile.gif:)-->

i got reprooved once by a stark raving spitting jumping up and down lunatic

because i was going to leave an easter fellow ship early

it went on for hours { the fellow ship not the reproof as i would not take it} as i had commited to my parents to easter dinner

frig him we left and damn glad we did

my earthly family was more important to me than that loony corps guy ihat was the last time i got spit on!

I just finished reading the entire thread on child abuse! As per that thread; It sure seems odd to me that children are/were taught to act respectfully and as an adult (in the wrong ways) but these adults are tolerated and even commended for childish behavior. Makes no sense what so ever!

Now what is really strange about this story is that I ran into above restaurant woman's husband (who was of course the actual coordinator) at same said restaurant, and he acted like I was a long lost friend. He asked me all kinds of questions about my kids and how I was doing and I was shocked. We had about a 10 minute conversation and never once was the Way or anything negative brought up.

So what is the deal? banghead.gif Are we kinder and gentler or what?? Or is it now each individuals have the option?? Inquiring minds want to know....

However, one evening while dining in that same restaurant, I ran into this older couple who was in our fellowship. They are in their early to mid 90's now and they were as sweet and wonderful as ever. Their son is on staff at HQ. They told me that they were still in the Way and really enjoyed their fellowship and they had a new leader from another state and said that "everything is so much better now". I told them I was happy for them and gave them great big hugs. I was happy to see them. They are so loving.....