GreaseSpot Cafe

cutters

mstar1

quote:
Yes...why?

One of the neighborhood kids has started opening up to me for one reason or another...sounds like some sort of extreme form of PTSD or something

i know enough about a few other things to at least encourage or direct people in the some direction that may be beneficial..but not having much exposure to this and no personal experience it has me at somewhat of a loss

mstar, I don't know much about it, but I found these websites that might help you help your friend.

http://www.palace.net/~llama/psych/injury.html

http://www.angelfire.com/or/lethercry/main.html

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Se...njury/bloodred/

Good luck! You must be the right person to help and it's great that you're trying to get information to be that support. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Some of the folks I used to work with (developementlly disabled) were cutters, and the reasons varied as to why they would do it.

For some it was something they wanted to try out of curioustiy;

For some it was because they felt worthless, and felt they *deserved* the pain;

And for others it is a method of *revenge* against someone in their life (the you did XYZ to me, now I'm going to get you back by doing this to myself, mentality).

I have met parents who have (*normal*) teen-agers that are involved in cutting, and that's generally because they feel abandoned by friends, family, and life in general, and this provides an *out* for them.

Whatever the reason -- it is usually not a prank, but rather due to some deeper psychological issues, that end up in SIB (self injurious behavior).

I haven't looked at all the sites Belle provided yet, but THE FIRST ONE LISTED seemed to have a lot of good info on it, from what I saw. I'll see if I can find more for you.

David

Thank you, mstar, for answering me.

It's a dark place in my head...I don't talk about it very often at all...and I certainly don't talk about it for curiousity's sake...but if you're trying to be a friend to a 'cutter', then I'll talk about it.

Belle provided some good info. On the first link I went to the "Why" page ( http://www.palace.net/~llama/psych/why.html ) and read it over. Pretty good stuff.

Cutting, mutilation, etc....these things are not the only types of self-injury...they just seem more horrifying. Eating disorders, smoking, drug/alcohol addictions, gambling habits, etc....these seemingly 'normal' things are all a part of the self-injury mindset.

Although it can lead to suicide attempts, cutting is not usually a suicide attempt. Quite the contrary, in fact...it's often the only 'safe' way one sees of relieving the incredible internal pressure.

It's addictive, too. Not really a 'high' to it...but an extreme release of extreme pressure that may feel like a 'high'. It's kind of like opening a shaken soda...or a pressure cooker.

But until the pain itself is dealt with, the pressure will always build up again...then the release will always be needed again.

Medication works only insofar as it dulls the reaction to the build-up of the pressure...but unless one is medicated beyond ability to feel at all, one will always need the release.

The only real help at all is getting to the pain and healing the pain.

Much as most of this society hates to think this, I have found that Jesus is the only one who can touch that deeply.

I had a friend who happened to be a very devout Mormon who had a very bright daughter who cut herself. At the time I thought the cutting was caused by the conflict she felt between her very bright and inquisitive mind and being raised in religious environment that in which conformity was paramount and questioning was was highly discouraged.

Thanks for responding everyone and special thanks to you CW for unveiling a bit of yourself...every little bit is helpful.

Most afflictions of people that I run into are common enough (depression, , anxiety, addictions, psychosis of one form or another etc.) that I can at least have an informed view.

But This is somewhat new to me and as CW said is creeping out of some very dark place.We'll see how it goes--thanks again