GreaseSpot Cafe

Whose Fault IS It?

satori001

Originally posted by Long Gone:

Positive thinking has been proven to do what? Engender the sorts of miraculous healings the Bible attributes to Jesus? If so, then where can I go to read documented case studies?

Positive thinking does modify behavior. I don't see where anything else was indicated. My contention is that it does little or nothing else, and even behavior change is not guaranteed.

Not necessarily. As a simplistic, extreme example, if your past actions included cutting off a finger now and then, changing your actions would not regenerate the missing fingers.

Too simplistic. A change in actions might decrease the deletion of endangered digits. I don't see where more than that was implied.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Originally posted by satori001:

Positive thinking has been proven to do what? Engender the sorts of miraculous healings the Bible attributes to Jesus? If so, then where can I go to read documented case studies?

Positive thinking does modify behavior. I don't see where anything else was indicated.

I do. House's statement was in reply to your question about faith (or "believing") working for Jesus "in this physical world of effect." In the Bible, Jesus didn't primarily relate faith to behavioral changes, but to manifestations of spiritual power (miracles) in the physical world.

There are plenty of documented cases of "unexplained" recoveries from illness, etc.

They are unexplained, not because they are miracles, but because they are miraculous (miracle-like). They are inexplicable.

My presumption is that a portion of these miraculous events are true miracles. That's a big presumption, but one in which I'm confident based on my own experiences, and those of others which parallel my own.

Those experiences do not validate any particular dogma seeking to explain, or monopolize, them. They simply are.

I gladly concede that my interpretation of "miraculous" characteristics of events could be entirely wrong. In that respect, I guess I don't "believe" in them.

Luke 2:19 says, "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart."

Keep is to remember or commit to memory.

Ponder is to consider deeply.

That's the best attitude, I think, for things of apparent significance which cannot be explained.

quote:
Originally posted by satori001:

Okay, but the post includes "if the accounts are true."

That's a big "if." Suddenly, it's hypothetical.

You seem to be confusing your thoughts, to which I was not replying in that post, with House's non-hypothetical statement, to which I was replying.

You seem to be confusing your thoughts,

Happens all the time.

to which I was not replying in that post,

Hmm, okay, you were NOT replying to my thoughts!

with House's non-hypothetical statement,

Could've been, but I read it differently. It was singularly ambiguous.

to which I was replying.

Such as you have.

In which case, I am also confused by your thoughts.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Hammeroni:

Could explain how a buffon could get elected as President.. sorry, heh heh.

A buffon? Don't know about buffons.

This is an unprofitable derail, Mr. H. Running out of profitable things to say?

You may want to retire "heh heh" for a while. Used now and then, or now and again, it may transmit a writer's wit. Repeating itself with rhythmic persistence, like a facial tick, it may transmit the writer's lack thereof.

Well, I'm not trying to win a Pulitzer prize here, but OK redface.gif:o-->

But you must admit it does partly make a point. With cause and effect and all, why DO the mindless at times seem to stumble on success? In my opinion, TWI thought did not explain that very satisfactorily, at least as much as why bad things happen to those who are apparently "believing".

Could it be possible that "cause and effect" does not ALWAYS apply?

From personal experience- some of the very best things in my life occured without planning, obedience, or believing. I can also attest to the same for the worst.

quote:

I agree. But the cackle of my ego tells me otherwise

The ego is an effect, an image projected by our nervous and limbic systems upon the "screen of consciousness," which are themselves effects. The ego cannot but "believe" otherwise.

quote:

We are most unusual creatures, are we not?

I guess so. Does it matter?

What does matter for now is the topic.

Usually the conversation stops when the ego comes up because, in our culture, it's all we know of ourselves. It's a dead end, a brick wall, a do-not-pass-go. We're just so used to it. It's as familiar to you as your own face, or the sensation of breathing. And we haven't got a clue how it got there, or how to manage it.

But we guard the ego, sometimes with our lives, and quite often with our health and happiness. Don't we? Now isn't that cause enough to ask "why?" But we usually don't ask. I wonder why not.

"Ego-management." We don't hear much about it. It usually connotes containing one's pride, but pride is only one of the ego's expressions. One of many.

Suppose you had an "ego-ectomy." Who, or what, do you think would remain? Would anything familiar to "you" survive?

Did Jesus have an "ego?" If so, where did the "christ" (spirit) end and his "ego" begin?

Another way of asking is, What are the ego's boundaries? It's a finite thing. It must have boundaries. Where does the "projection" end and the "projector" begin?

Do we even differentiate? Probably not.

Should we? Does it matter? Anyone venture a guess?

Well, knowing this stuff, I don't know how much it matters either- more of a question, "what good does it do me knowing this?"

Still doesn't exactly answer the question "who's fault is it?" If our discussion is true, that WE do not effect the cause, there seems to be a lot less options.

quote:
Suppose you had an "ego-ectomy." Who, or what, do you think would be left? Would anything familiar to "you" survive?

My opinion- not much. Maybe a lot.. sorry, have to be a little ambiguous here.

But maybe we'd figure out that we don't have the universe by the tail after all.

Satori, what you say is confusing wasn't addressed to you or about anything you wrote. Maybe you should have left it alone and let houseisarockin respond. Just because you start a topic does not mean that every post should concern you.