GreaseSpot Cafe

Keepers of....Witnesses to...

Wacky Funster

quote:
(BTW, as an aside, just how the hell is water supposed to pull on a stick anyway? Does that make any sense at all?)

Absolutely!!!

wack you must have read Masuru Emoto, the man who writes about the messages of water...

He spent a number of years photographing water crystals that had been exposed to different emotional and/or spiritual stimuli, and photographed the physical changes that water goes through when it is exposed to them...whether it can "grab a stick' I don't know, but it can make subtle fluctuations in the energies and patterns that it radiates, and is also receptive to the environment around itself. Whether he is right or wrong that water the base of life has consciousness in and of itself -I don't know-- but it is an interesting concept.

I think that they ancients and indigenous or as Ron said 'the old timers" who all by necessity lived closer to the earth, knew a great deal more than we generally give them credit for just by generations of observation. There is a great deal that is yet undiscovered and taken for granted about how this whole universe works

i have never dowsed water but i believe it can be done

i worked for the phone co for years and was able to take 2 copper #10 ground wire bend it in the shape of a pistol and hold then out straight in front of me and walk where we suspected there was underground cable.

when i came accross it the coper would spread out horizonaly. and the cable would be there every time.

weird?

yes

but it worked.

quote:
I think that they ancients and indigenous or as Ron said 'the old timers" who all by necessity lived closer to the earth, knew a great deal more than we generally give them credit for just by generations of observation. There is a great deal that is yet undiscovered and taken for granted about how this whole universe works

Very well said, Mstar1! I agree 100%.

Emoto's work is fascinating! My little brother gave out copies of one of his books for Christmas presents last year.

Re-rail:

Mstar1, is it common for most artisans that you know to leave little treasures in their art, like you do? What kinds of other things do you know about?

quote:
This thread has quickly turned into a "witch" hunt, and that's really not what I had intended.

I was talking about keepers of the earth. Surely bridge builders, carpenters and stained glass church window restorers, in addition to the masons (which is an entirely different breed) are NOT the "witchy" types. wink2.gif;)-->

Wacky -- right on. And if you need some help defending that position:

HERE COMES THE CAVALRY! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

D2-000L.jpg

Edited by dmiller

I can't understand why dowsing wouldn't have a logical, scientific basis.

When ol' Cliff did it, ne could not only determine the presence of oil, but the approximate depth and sulphur content using little vials of assorted grades of crude he had. He could also take small metal samples and determine what as well as where things were buried such as pipes, wires and other metal objects.

I don't know what was special about him, if anything. But then I don't know what's special about Michal Jordan that he can do what he does while others of similr height, weight and muscle development can't.

Some folks have it and some don't.

Since living here in the hills, I've learned to plant my crops, set my eggs and take care of other animals according to the phases of the moon. It's helped bring me good success, but then the tides are governed by the moon and that's an observed and documented scientific FACT. Why would the moon affect the ocean and not a potato?

Why would similar metals be attracted? Why would birch or willow or peach wood be attracted to water?

Why do tree roots seek underground water? They can't see, touch, taste, smell or hear it. At least not in ways we can understand or document.

I used to think that science and technology were the be all end all of human knowledge and the old folk ways were at best ignorant superstition and in some cases, witchcraft. Life was a lot harsher when I first came to the hills, but I was determined. Now, as I learn some of the old time ways and practice them, I've found life a lot easier and more comfortable.

Living in harmony with your surroundings is easier and much more fulfilling than constantly being at war with them and trying to subdue them.

Like the old Bob Dylan song, "I was so much older then, but I'm younger than that, now"

Other topic...

I've built on my property and helped others building on theirs. I/we always get a piece of PVC pipe, 6" diameter about a foot and a half long, fill it with trinkets, coins, letters, our names and other assorted stuff and cap it at both ends and place it somewhere in the structure...sealed in a wall or brickwork or something, and anytime something either falls down or is torn down, we always find something. It's a very old Ozark tradition.

In an old school building, the guys adding a wing, found a pint bottle of whiskey from 1910 along with some old coins, papers and some old tools.

It's always interesting to me to see old calculations, measure marks and plumb bob marks left by the builders in old buildings.

It kinda reminds us of the continuity from generation to generation of the building techniques and the people who used them.

quote:
Mstar1, is it common for most artisans that you know to leave little treasures in their art, like you do? What kinds of other things do you know about?

some do, in fact I would bet most do ---i have seen some great things in the upper reaches of cathedrals and churches left by the stonecarvers and craftsman that no one will ever see except another craftsman generations later, the gargoyle carvers and sculptors are almost always an eccentric, quirky and humorous lot, which tickles me, to see their personality shine through even though they may have been dead for hundreds of years. Some of it is humorous, some of it is serious, some things are combinations of both but almost all the stuff I deal with is rich and heavy in symbolism and a reflection of the people and culture of the times that they were built...that can be very rich once you learn to 'read' it. For good or bad art and craft, true art and craft, has an honesty and a genuineness to it that allows you to peer a little bit into the soul of the makers and share a slice of your humanity with them.

It all has treasures in it