GreaseSpot Cafe

Mozilla Firefox problem

oenophile

I have loved using Firefox as my default browser. I think that anything that helps wean us off of Microsoft and bring competition back into the systems and applications market is a good thing.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing a problem with Firefox. It seems slow in loading my default home page which is Google and I get this message that http://www.google.com cannot be found. What is up with that?

I never have a problem with that, either.

Maybe there's a problem with your firewall permissions or something,

a virus/redirect or something,

or something up with an old version of Firefox (before 1.0 was

released.)

Have you tried running scans, and updating your Firefox?

WW,

Thanks. I ran a systems scan using MacAfee

Two trojans and two pups were reported which I immediately quarantined. In regards to the version of FF that I'm using, it's 1.0.3.

I should say that the problem that I am having is an intermitent problem. Usually FF works fine. It's just the times that it doesn't and I'm forced to use IE that's annoying and perplexing.

RJ

Edited by oenophile

In my (limited) experience, that message means Fire Fox can't find the internet. Either your internet provider is having problems, or the problem is in the internal network (cable modem, router, switch etc).

Try rebooting everything. For routers and such, you reboot by unplugging them for 10 seconds and replugging in.

If that doesn't stop it, the intermitent might mean a couple of devices on the network are trying to use the same IP address. Did it start after you added or changed some piece of hardware? If so that would be the likely culprit.

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

try clearing your cache in firefox under TOOLS then OPTIONS.

Google may have been unavailable once and that is what is remembered.

Then try changing your home page. If the new home page works, then go to Google site. Go to OPTIONS again and pick GENERAL tab and select use current page as home page.