GreaseSpot Cafe

A question for teachers...

Cindy!

...a gs member is in the middle of interviews for their first teaching position and asked me about classroom management techniques and ideas.

I gave em some info...but thought it would be great to get the input of some of the teachers here at the spot.

What advice would you give for someone entering the teaching profession regarding classroom management???

(I have already talked about Harry Wong with them, but haven't mentioned some of the teacher techniques Harry never covers)

Teachers?? Professors?? Anyone???? icon_smile.gif:)-->

If you have access to your own overhead projector..turn it on with something worthwile on it...a math review problem....or directions, like hand in homework get books ready for page 200...

I didn't use it every day, but when I did use it it was great.

Use those wire or plastic baskets for homework collection and return. Label each - I used colors...you could use numbers....papers due in to me go in the top....ones I hand back to you are in the bottom one. Put those returned papers in there ASAP. As the class comes in they can put the hw in there and also retrieve their papers but be sure to pick up the ones in the top basket a few minutes after class begins so you prevent somebody from sneaking something in there in the middle of the class period.

Get several sized of the super clamp-type clips - that is the most fail safe way I found to prevent student paper loss.

Choose carefully where you want things done, like the paper trays I used....and don't change anything for any reason. Even if you find it inconvenient don't change it at least until the end of the first quarter or first semester if you can hold out that long. You need to project consistency in everything you do.

Don't be too nice. Don't be nasty. Be neutral and civil, of course and be polite with please and thankyou. After a few weeks you can add a little warmth and a smile once in a while. During the second quarter you can relax a little but not much. This may not be the real you, but you have no reputation yet, so don't let it all hang out at first. After Christmas break, I was always amazed how much it seemed they grew up in those 2 weeks or so...so you will have a more mature group and you can relax and enjoy the fruit of your earlier discipline now.

Every week, find a ligitimate reason to make a good phone call home. It must be true and genuine. Parents freak out when teachers call, but when you tell them to relax, everything's fine...I just wanted you to know that jonny studied hard and he really impressed me with that last 85 on the test. I know this subject is hard for him . Word gets around that you reward excellence at home...kids appreciate that and appreciate teachers who take time to do that.

I'll think of more....if you want.

I will second what Krysilis said about consistency, and about building your reputation in the beginning.

The best teacher I ever met said, "Don't smile at them until Christmas." Of course that's a bit exaggerated, but the principle is true: Kids are on their best behavior at the beginning of a school year and especially with a teacher they don't know. If you are really personable and very nice right off the bat, sad to say but they won't take you seriously. If they think you are tough, you can always surprise them by being nice. If they think you are a creampuff, and you try to be tough, they will laugh behind your back. (Trust me, I hear my son and his friends talking about their teachers when they think I'm not listening!!)

Anyway... good luck!! And THANKS for taking on the most important job anyone can do: being an example and an educator for our kids.

Yep,Highway...that's the biggest mistake I see beginning teachers make. Then after fighting a losing battle in classroom management...they realize it isn't about being popular...it's about being an effective teacher.

Students learn best with structure and knowing what is expected from them. I usually give my students a rubric when I give them an assignment. That way they know exactly what I'm looking for.

Also...when you do have to write up a student, even if you have to fuss at them...always remember their dignity and use active listening skills. Then when the situation is over...it's over. Don't let lingering emotions determine how you handle that student. Students who realize that you don't hold whatever they did against them (they have a fresh start) tend to not get so bogged down in self esteem issues.

Humor is a wonderful tool for de-escalating bad behaviors.

They will work as hard for you as you show them that you believe they can. So set your standards high and hold them to those standards.

Cindy... interesting you mention rubrics... our campus of higher learning is currently involved in it's 10-year federal accreditation process and everyone seems stunned that they no longer want facts and figures... they want to know how you are letting you students know how they can succeed, and how you are assessing that success... rubrics, assessment, learning-outcomes. Definately the waves of the future.

The funny thing to me, coming from a hands-on, performance-based field of learning, that kind of classroom structure is second nature and I'm having to deal with faculty who don't understand why grades aren't enough.

Grades are an average assessment of a student's learning of the whole subject matter. Rubrics let a student know exactly what specific skills are required, step-by-step, and how they must demonstrate them, and what the results will be if they don't demonstrate them. ... Definately a much better system of education in my (not-so-humble) opinion. It certainly helps you pinpoint where a student is having trouble and help them do better.

One of the things I hated most about teaching science was the required paper in the 3rd MP. Each class level had it's assigned MP to prevent overlap in the library. I hated marking them because I knew 80% of the kids didn't do them themselves.

One year there was a school emphasis on employment opportunities in that particular subject. What minority kid wants to think about a job using Earth Science? I've forgotten what they all were, but in addition to the usual scientist type jobs there were things like diamond cutter, paleontologist (fossils too) and even some military applications. There were about 20 on the list.

The students had to pick one and for that one...there was a series of questions that were easy to find answers to. What does it pay? What kind of education...etc. And then they had to write 5 paragraphs describing why they would or would not like to do this job.

I gave them (me) rubriks for scoring: is it on time - 10 points so and so many points for the individual questions...so and so many for each paragraph...neatness was 10 points...bibliography was 10 points...and so on.

They knew in advance what to find and what they had to answer. They didn't love doing the paper...but it was so straight forward - no guess work that they all did it themselves (well practically all) and it was easy to spot the cheaters. Very few students failed to hand in a paper. I learned a very valuable lesson, because I was never given rubriks myself ever, it was a who other concept for me and they ate it up.

Highway...exactly!!!

Krys...sounds like a tedious process, but at least it was clear for the kids (I guess)

exie...boo hiss!!!!

Something for a beginning teacher to do with regards to class management or anything is to observe some of the teachers who've been doing it. Watch them for a while to see whose style you most identify with, and then be sure to go to that teacher whenever you need to.

Seasoned teachers (if they are any good) are a very very valueable resource!!!