GreaseSpot Cafe

Hurricane Katrina

Digger

We're discussing other issues on the Open Forum, but I'm thinking here while watching trucks of relief supplies rolling through the base here that if I was still in the Way, I wouldn't be here. Their corporate philosophy on disasters was always to blame the victims for their sin, and refuse to allow anyone to donate anything that coould cut into the time or money devoted to the Way. Theres a 10 year void in my life when I didn't help anyone outside of the ministry. I've very blessed by the love and response of everyone hanging out at the Cafe, offering up their time, money, homes etc for the victims of this event. You'all are wonderful, showing your love of God in Christ to the world now!!!

Ditto Digger! (keep up the good work)

Just talked with an "innie" friend today.

After saying "yea it sucks, adversary sucks", it was immediatly turned to " but it makes me wonder what is REALLY going on to make the hurricane go there, a lot of spirtitual crap I am sure.

I mean why didn't they get out, I can't believe they are so poor for good, and had no where else to go, and they want the governemnt to be responsible and help!"

I sighed, and simply stated, "well, if that is the case then, Las Vegas would be swallowed up by now!" (due to "so much sin there ya know) wink2.gif;)-->....

I am not going to judge what and how much sin is in an area or why there are poor folks.

Jesus even said, they will always be with us.

So pointing fingers and saying 'shoulda got a job and moved" or "why did they build houses on sand? " isn't helping anyone!!!!!!!!

The ignorance is THICK in TWI, glad to be rid of this mindset.

I just feel bad for my friends that think this way........I will lead by example.

Bliss

The double standart of TWI If it would pf struck that corn field they live in it would of been a attack of the adversary.

maybe that.s how you should of answer them, you know that new church down there in New Orleans was really moving the WORD. Thas why all this happened.

TWI has always been against helping anyone other than themselfs. Takes away the money that the "HEAD" idiots can enjoy and use out of the ABS monies that the common beliver sends in.

If the common beliver wants to donate or has donated to an emergency relife fund, watch the horse paddy hit the fan and the spit start flying.

I wonder if they are even helping their own people? Or if they are just reproving them?

We were in a tornado once while in TWI, when my kids were really small and I was at home. Trees everywhere, no electricity, hubby still had to go to work so getting the trees cleaned up was a mess. Red cross fed us( snacks and water from a truck, and Mc D coupons for meals). For a week.

And the lesbian nurses across the street gave me their cell phone because they were worried about me and the kids and all the old ladies in the neighbor hood being with out a phone.

But we were excused from fellowship for the week, so we could get our lives in order.

Don'tcha feel the love.

I was talking to my sister today and we got on the topic of accountability. We finally narrowed it down to, 1. Individual responcibility. Folks new the danger of living in an area that was under sea level. Just like Cal. and the Fault line that is there. 2. Local Govt. responcibility for not insuring the safty and well being of its citizens .They knew a potentially life threating situation was going to happen but did not know when. They were neglegent in being proactive. 3. Federal reponcibility for failure to act in a timly manner to secure and support life after the fact.

My sister said it is like the Tower of Babel. It has displaced alot of folks that are in one way or another have assisted living, giving them a new begining, to start fresh and maybe change the "family of origin" cycle. Those that have been dependent on the Govt. for there livlihood.

I do recognize the horror of all this and no matter the individual condition, this is the saddest thing to date to see. MY sympothies to all the families regardless of race ,gender,status ect.

I don't think being dependant on the governmnet or coming from a family of welfare dependants, or being too poor to move is worthy of a death or near death sentence, or the horror of losing friends, family, homes, pets and all belongings. Sorry, I just can't put a happy face on this.

quote:
...but I'm thinking here while watching trucks of relief supplies rolling through the base here that if I was still in the Way, I wouldn't be here. Their corporate philosophy on disasters was always to blame the victims for their sin, and refuse to allow anyone to donate anything that coould cut into the time or money devoted to the Way.

Digger --- Amen to that. Can't be giving away money now to help the homeless or bereft, can we? That would only be *good*, whereas giving money to the "one true misery" (er -- I mean ministry!) to move the Word is always the best.

Gotta have and be the best, don't cha know. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

David

Hell, one time a few years back, money was so tight I had to get a load of groceries from a shelter - no one in the Wayless ever offered to help. It was one of those moments in life I thought about when I told my coordinator to go stick it up his horn of plenty.

Bramble,

I totally agree. I wouldn't want this on my enemies. The devistation of all this is so huge that it's like viewing the Grand Canyon for the first time. It can't be real and certainly to big to comprehend. I do not minimize the enormity or intensity of sadness and loss of life. I am truly sad for all the victims of this tragedy.

I too once depended on the Govt. for Assistance. And I do not condon death for those that do. What I am saying is that this is an oppertunity for life anew for those that have tried and couldn't get a leg up socially because of where they lived and the color of their skin.

I lived in Lousianna as a WOW. I saw first hand the ill-treatment of the poor and folks of color. . I also know how the local Parrishes(run by wealthy white buisness men) Kept the rent high, minimum wage in place just to keep the town segragated. The better housing and income went to the white folks.

So what I'm trying to say is that amist all the sadness new oppertunities will make itself available for some folk to get what they couldn't get because of there local. Also challange them to believe that they don't have to be poor. That they are better then there circumstances. I am totally in favor of getting people back on there feet for a better life no matter who it is.