GreaseSpot Cafe

Bravo Jet Blue!

Raf

Crippled Jet Lands Safely at L.A. Airport

Sep 21 9:24 PM US/Eastern

LOS ANGELES

A JetBlue airliner with its front landing gear stuck sideways safely landed Wednesday, balancing on its back wheels as it slowed on the runway at Los Angeles International Airport.

Did any of you see it? It was on CNN. Awesome. We all applauded like mad when we saw it.

I watched it as it was happening, praying like crazy. The pilot did an amazing job. I can't imagine being on that plane as it circled for 3 hours, all the while knowing that an extremely dicey emergency landing was ahead.

Bravo to the pilot and the manufacturer of the plane, and yay God!

quote:
I can't imagine being on that plane as it circled for 3 hours, all the while knowing that an extremely dicey emergency landing was ahead.

One of the folks on the flight was interviewed and he said they were all watching the coverage of what was happening to them! He said the worst part about the coverage was when they got *blacked out* about 10 minutes before landing, and that's when folks started to get a little worried thinking that there was something more going on than they knew about.

I have to wonder about the wisdom of showing the landing live. Sure, it made for super-high drama, but what if the landing hadn't gone well? How would that have been for the passengers' family members who were glued to their TV sets waiting to see the outcome?

I think if my loved one was on that plane and if the landing had gone bad, ending in a big boom and fire and smoke, I would be doubly traumatized.

Dunno....just thinking aloud. What do you guys think?

David, I don't know how I'd have felt if I'd been on the plane...dunno if I'd have wanted to watch or not, because I can see arguments either way.

What I was asking is was it responsible to show the landing live in light of family members watching who had loved ones on the plane. If my husband or child had been on the plane and if instead of a picture-perfect emergency landing I'd witnessed a fiery crash, knowing the one I loved was burning inside the plane, I'd think it would have traumatized me even more than learning he died without seeing it as it was happening.

Just wondered what everyone else thought.