GreaseSpot Cafe

Hello

gc

I didn't notice any "hurricane Katrina wondering where people were" threads. My dog and I are in wonderful Georgia safe and sound waiting for an appointment with insurance and fema back home. I sure do miss being home :(

I hope everyone else is fine from the coast.

gc :)

Damned glad that you and your pet made it out safe ok....thanks for letting us know!

I would guess that rita threw a real monkey wrench into the insurance settlements time line.....

You were real smart to leave when you did..... do you have any home to return to?

You could always utilize this time to tour the country ...stoppin and visiting gspotters along the way :-)

Thanks for the heads up we have been worried about you.

GC, You're kidding, right??? Every other post on here for days was us worried about you and asking if anyone had heard from you! :D We were very concerned, but didn't know how to get in touch with you. :(

I'm sooooooo glad to hear that you're safe and sound!! Glad you got to take your four legged buddy with you too!! Is your home okay? Do you need anything??? Please let us know! So many of us want to help, and would especially enjoy being able to help our own beloved posters like you. :wub: I'll try to find the posts and bring them up so you can see how concerned we all were.

Edited by Belle

gc!!!!! So glad you posted!! Yes we WERE looking for you-- we mentioned you in several different threads!!! LOL! I almost posted one with your handle in the title since another NOLA poster I was looking for, and posted a thread about, finally was able to contact me shortly after I posted it. Several people thought maybe that would bring you back!! LOL!

Did you find the thread about you in one of the Katrina "looking for" sites--a whole buncha people looking for you there!!!

Belle--that was really thoughtful that you broght those threads up where we were all asking about gc.

gc-- we REEAALLLY do care about you!! I'm in Ga, should you need anything-- pt me or email me (Psalm71one@excite.com)

Morning everyone! I sorry my last post sounded the way it did, sorry. What I really meant to say was, I didn't have much time to look through all the post since my time is limited, so I just started a new thread. I use the computer at the library here in Blakely, Ga. and its 10 to 12 miles away from where I'm staying in Hentown.

My dog and I evacuated on the Saturday to Mississippi, then again with my brother's family and my mom to Georgia on the Sunday. The people here are simply wonderful! We are staying in a trailer owned by one of the churches. They have hooked up a land line for us so we can get phone calls from family and friends out of state and they have loaned us a cell phone that allows us to make long distance calls on the weekends. It is a very small town so I've been getting to know the people here.

I'm hoping to go home on Friday to pull carpet, punch holes in my sheetrock and hopefully air out. I made the trip back home on the Wednesday after labor day, during the limited re-entry. There were 5 of us traveling there that trip. We checked my home and my mom's but was unable to get into my son's place since his area is uptown New Orleans and was still flooded. I was able to grab some things, but so much was left behind, and I believe, being damaged by the mold and mildew now. I had trees that are uprooted, roof damage from the wind, flood water damage and a couple of windows broken from the wind. It looks like part of my roof was lifted up during the storm because of there is a seperation of the wall and ceiling in a couple of areas. Four car had to be left behind because of too few drivers and for mine, the worry that it would not make it in bumper to bumper traffic out of Mississippi. It made it for Ivan when I had to sit in that traffic for 10 hours but I wouldn't take the chance this time. I am more fortunate than one of my brothers and one of my sisters who both lost everything. :(

Ted, I was listening to one of your cd's right before I evacuated, so that one was in my cd drive when my computer was diconnected during the re-entry :D I'll let you know about the others, thanks.

Psalm71, I'll send you an e-mail, I'd like to know how close you are in Ga :)

Belle, not sure what I need other than prayers for now, thanks! :wub:

David, thanks :)

rascal, I managed to make a claim with my insurance company and with fema the day of the hurricane (or the following day, can't remember now which) and I still have not heard from either. Rita could only have made it worse! My son evacuated with me to Ga. then moved to Houston because the school there was accepting university students from La. He was there when Rita hit! I was past scared when the forecast had it heading that direction. He couldn't get gas and couldn't get out. I sighed with relief when the storm moved more east!

Thanks for the prayers! hugs to everyone!

gc

Edited by gc

If I may offer a suggestion...

My parents lost everything last year in Florida being hit by Charlie then 3 other storms to finish them off.

My stepmom cries everyday and has gone down to 70 pounds and her health is in question, my father "chokes up" all the time and he is one of those manly men from WW II era...

They went to the vet this week as their dog is getting lathargic. The vet found nothing wrong and thinks that Bridgett may be "home sick". (So even the dog is heart broken) If any kind of grief counseling is offered you may want to try it. I am trying to find help for my parents and do not know what is currently available. I guess we learn with each storm how badly people are impacted. It was horrible that the victims in New Orleans were without help so long... But I think some good things are happening to help them now.

My parents were helped by the Red Cross and church groups who brought meals and ice around but there are still people living with blue plastic tarps in Florida.

What I am trying to say is after "The shock" you kinda thaw and reality hits and it is a very hard reality.

So, I thank God you are safe and well. but if they have any group talks or anything where you can cry and grieve, you may consider trying it.

Edited by Dot Matrix