GreaseSpot Cafe

What are the costs?

Belle

I'm also looking for the other letter that craiggers sent, but going through my archives I found this and thought it interesting to post. Good food for thought for those considering leaving TWI.

Look at what it's costing you to STAY in TWI:

Posted by Fresh:

WW,

quote:I don't know anyone who wants to recruit anyone for TWI. Fresh, you're right, people are more worried about how far behind they are on their finances, college tuitions, retirement, homes, and other personal things they've neglected over the years....

What is the average cost of twi commitment to an innie family of four in the 250 mile radius of HQ? By looking at a few "ballpark figures" it certainly adds up!!!

Expenses ---------Category

$ 4,600.00 .......ABS from annual income of husband/wife

$ 600.00 ......gas money for twi activities

$ 1,200.00 ......Adv Cl special in Dallas (travel/hotel/etc)

$ 3,000.00 .....loss in wages/overtime

$ 300.00 .....magazine/tapes/bookstore

$ 150.00 .....wear/tear/utilities/supplies for hhf

$ 80.00 .....refreshments/cards/extras

$ 70.00 .....coffee tab (instead of witnessing Smile )

"Annual Ballpark Totals" = $10,000.00

I realize that the $3,000.00 in loss of wages/overtime wouldn't apply to every situation, but it DOES SHOW why so many of these innies are falling behind in the financial area.

One step further......even if $6,000.00 of this total was put in savings, look how much FASTER one could advance into home ownership or get ahead financially.

But hey......if they "believe" that this money is their spiritual duty and all.....then who am I to convince them otherwise. Big Grin Big Grin

All in all, I think MANY of the 50s crowd are starting to wake up to the realities of their spending habits. Eek

Posted by Steve!:

And if you put a dollar value on those hours . . .

What amount of money would it take to get you to work an extra 6 hours a day? (which is what 1568/245 is. 52 weeks times 5 workdays per week is 260, minus 10 vacation days and 5 holidays, equals 245 actual workdays). If you normally make, say, $15/hour, how much would it take for you to work an extra 6 hours a day? how much is your "free" time worth? would your boss have to pay you overtime? double time?

Okay, let's say double time. $30/hour times 1568 hours equals $47,000. That's the value of the time that you are donating to TWIt.

Oh, wait. Some of that time has value to you.

Doesn't it? Oh, it's going to be valuable after the return, there's no real value added to your life right now by those 1568 hours, you say.

So you are *actually* giving TWIt the equivalent of almost $60,000 per year.

Have a nice day!

Posted by Fresh:

WOW, a huge chunk of change and time!!

Then, compile all this information with such things as:

1) The Board of Directors DOESN'T EVER WITNESS.

2) The BOD wines and dines off YOUR abs.

3) The BOD travels around and uses their petty cash accounts generously.

4) The BOD wants its followers to give MORE....their plurality.

5) The hq staff rarely go witnessing.

6) Many of the hq staff plan to RETIRE off your abs.

7) Ad infinitum

Is it any wonder why the BOD promotes renting homes and shuns home ownership?? With no home equity, no "roots" in the community, no family contacts, no stability or refuge.......twi BECOMES their home and refuge.

Weekly tapes, magazine articles, reviews, meetings, outreach reports, follow-up with contacts, reporting back..........all this bombarding keeps the innies in a dizzying circle. It's hard to think clear when one is spun around and around and around and around....

Fresh

PS Speaking of numbers, months ago a poster did a tallying of his interim corps year wages.....and he figured out that when all the hours were calculated twi paid him 30 cents an hour.

Thank you Belle. That is an eye opener when you start looking at $$$$ shelled out.Now, let's add a couple things such as:

The total loss of privacy, because the BoD thinks they can stick their noses in when they want.

The loss of friends, because you are highly discouraged from having any outside " the household "

Involvement in your community activities, because they make sure you don't have the time for any.

Lack of contact with family members " because they are not of the household"

Ad Infinitum........

********************************************************************************

All in all, I think MANY of the 50s crowd are starting to wake up to the realities of their spending habits. Eek

Edited by railroader

PS Speaking of numbers, months ago a poster did a tallying of his interim corps year wages.....and he figured out that when all the hours were calculated twi paid him 30 cents an hour.
but the privilege of serving at a rut locale on my interim year..... i should have paid them !!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Expenses ---------Category

$ 4,600.00 .......ABS from annual income of husband/wife

$ 600.00 ......gas money for twi activities

$ 1,200.00 ......Adv Cl special in Dallas (travel/hotel/etc)

$ 3,000.00 .....loss in wages/overtime

$ 300.00 .....magazine/tapes/bookstore

$ 150.00 .....wear/tear/utilities/supplies for hhf

$ 80.00 .....refreshments/cards/extras

$ 70.00 .....coffee tab (instead of witnessing Smile )

"Annual Ballpark Totals" = $10,000.00

This reminds me of those Visa commercials....

And the cost of Freedom....... PRICELESS!

==================================

Some things I don't see in here for expenses:

Dress clothes (Best Dress or Casually Nice, if you don't work an office job)

Car repairs (since there's no warranty left on the damn thing, it's breaking down all the time!)

Baby sitter money - for when you can't bring the rug rat(s) with you.

Gifts for leadership - since they do nothing all day, don't they deserve a big, fat, Thank you?!

Sponsoring someone in the Way Corps

Fast food - because who has time to pack a lunch or cook with this schedule?

And on, and on....

It's a wonder that Joe and Jane Believer are able to stay out of debt at all - most of the people who I knew worked entry-level jobs, many of them in a blue-collar line of work. How the hell could they afford it?

Soooooooooooo happy not to be a part of that blood sucking organization!