GreaseSpot Cafe

Elvis Gospel

likeaneagle

I didn't see what you saw, but this might have been, "He Touched Me, The Gospel Music of Elvis Presley," a Bill Gaither tribute with dvd/cd/vhs versions, 1999.

Last nite I saw Randy Travis do some nice gospel including Peace in the Valley and Holy Holy Holy.

(NOTE: Just because twi taught that Christians outside the twi fold are not real Christians does not make it so.)

I was never a huge Elvis fan, but I took a trip earlier this year through the south and stopped at among other places Elvis's birthplace in Tupelo, MS. The tiny sharecroppers cabin was almost like a manger scene, it was so tiny, and the rest of the area was built up as a shrine and museum to 'The King'.

There is a little chapel next to the house that plays his gospel tunes all day--although I am not particularly religious, being there gave me a different insight into the man that I hadn't been aware of before. It gave me a little insight into the devotion of his fans-- I enjoyed it very much

LOL! Mstar1, you were only an hour away from my birthplace! B)

Likeaeagle, I think you saw the one Kit mentioned. It's awesome, isn't it? Is that the one where they talked about him keeping his band up till the wee hours of the morning in Vegas singing gospel music?

His gospel music is my all time favorite music of his - hands down. The only one I don't really like is "How Great Thou Art". That song requires a deep, heavy bass voice, imo. But, I'm biased and think my Daddy sings it better than anyone in the whole world. :)

My Elvis favorite gospel songs are the ones that I grew up with, the negro gospels, those are the ones most people aren't quite so familiar with, but they're comfort songs to me.

LOL! Mstar1, you were only an hour away from my birthplace!

Now I know where you get your charm :), It's a nice part of the world down there that I had somehow previously missed--

btw-I'll take those old black gospel songs and spirituals anyday

Edited by mstar1

My favorite Elvis Gospel single is "Joshua Fit The Battle".

Another favorite is "We Call On Him".

I looked for these pictures sleeves in my collection and found Joshua and Milky White Way, but couldn't find We Call on Him. I might have sold it on ebay.

post-182-1130250587_thumb.jpg

post-182-1130250623_thumb.jpg

BTW, this "Joshua Fit The Battle" picture sleeve is perhaps the nicest example in the country. I kid you not. You hardly find this particular sleeve without some kind of ringwear, and the previous owner of this sleeve was a big Elvis collector and kept this thing immaculate.

My Elvis favorite gospel songs are the ones that I grew up with, the negro gospels ...

Belle, my favorite is "Run On".

Sounds just like a Rap song but with a gospel theme.

"what you do in the dark will be brought to the light!"