GreaseSpot Cafe

Burned while burning DVD's-Help

topoftheworld

I am using a Gateway 'puter with XP and Media Center. Media Center allows shows to be recorded which can then be burned on a DVD. I figured out how to record old VHS programs (bits and pieces of stuff I saved and then lugged around over the years) and am now using Media Center to burn them into a DVD disk. The first recording worked perfectly, but now that I'm trying to add a second recording into the remaining space on the same DVD, Media Center thinks I'm not using a writable disk. Anybody know how to get the thing to recognize an add-on track? I'm stumped! Any helpful suggestions (in laymen's terms) would be appreciated. Tks.

Holy Batman, WordWolf! Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I learned more about DVD's on that link than I thought I would ever need-everything except the answer to my dilema. It appears that any video files should be run through an authoring process for chapter, titles, or editing. Nero came with my system, but the specs say Nero's burn is not compatible with DVD players. I have the correct drive and format (RW+ drive and player). I'm using RW+ disks with 120 minutes and 4.7 GB. The video files are less than that. I can't believe it should be such an issue to burn one "file" I've recorded through Media Center, created another file and add it to the same disk. If you know anyone who has any ideas, I'd be grateful. Thanks again!

I don't know nuthin 'bout DVDs but if they are anything like CDs then when you write to them the software ends the session - which basically makes the rest of the CD useless even if you just wrote a very small file and the rest is empty.

In other words, CD's aren't used like a floppy. AND audio CD's are written in a completely different way - how the data is organized and retrieved is nothing like the way it is with a CD that has data written on it (even thought the physical medium can be written either way - it can't be written both).

Perhaps video DVDs have something in common with that. Just a thought.

Good thought-makes VHS look not so bad, huh. Now I created a bigger problem. In researching Microsoft, I downloaded a "fix" to Media Center, and not only will can't I run the new fix because the file name is not a recognized file, but now I can't run MC at all!

I'm thinking about resorting to restoring with my restore DVD, but I don't know whether I have to completely restore or whether it will let me be selective-and tech help, of course, is 1.99 per minute.

I think I'll read a book, instead.

I don't know nuthin 'bout DVDs but if they are anything like CDs then when you write to them the software ends the session - which basically makes the rest of the CD useless even if you just wrote a very small file and the rest is empty.

CD-R's are like that.

CD-R/W's are NOT.

CD-R's, you write once and it's now a CD-ROM (read-only memory).

CD-R/W's (CD-ReWriteables) don't work that way.

Since I don't know enough about DVD's, I didn't mention that, since it may have nothing

to do with the discussion and just have added to the confusion.

Like it or not, VHS is dead. I will miss him. R.I.P. :D :D

Why do you need to burn these files on a DVD? Why not a CD?

If is because you want to watch your files on a home DVD player like in your living room, you may have to burn it in a format that will play on those kind of players. You can use Windows built in Movie Maker to do this. You will need DVD burning software as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/m...november25.mspx

I recommend Nero for the best DVD / CD Burning software out there and Pinnacle Studio as the most awesome software to create and edit your masterpiece.

As always, there is a wealth of information all over the Internet. You just have to be determined. It takes time and trial and error but in the long run it can be worth it to get a handle on DVD burning.

John R.

Oh, and if you wonder if you can go to your local Blockbuster, rent a movie and burn a perfect copy of it, the answer is yes. But you need software to do it. DVD decrypter was just shut down by hollywood but I have a feeling this cat is out of the bag to stay. I do not recommend that you break the law. Just go buy it if you like it as we do. After all, movies are pretty cheap and you get all the packaging. I think a greater threat to hollywood is high-er speed Internet such as FIOS and even faster in the future. Download pirated movies in no time ready to be burned on a DVD?

Edited by igotout

Igotout: Thanks for the link-it was useful. I chose to burn in DVD for playing back on a DVD player, and the stuff I've read says Nero won't allow that. I am hoping that the movie maker will help make a better presentation. First I have to get a playback record program that works, since Media Center hasn't lived up to its hype. It will burn a playable DVD but it is an unbelievable pain: black screens, freeze ups, etc.

I restore the original Medai package, got Microsoft on the phone, did the download for Rolloup again, and got the message about Win32.

• 2 months later...